Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email settings

Options
  • 14-10-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

has anyone managed to sync their outlook.com student email address with gmail? ive been trying for ages and got nowhere.

what pop/imap settings do i use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I did it,

In your Gmail, go to settings and then go to the Accounts and Imports tab and all the info is available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i just forwarded to my gmail, goes there then straight to my iphone instantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I had awful trouble importing from a live account to gmail so I did the same as iPwnage and went to the settings in outlook and forwarded all mail to my gmail account.

Just remember to log into your outlook once every 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I did it,

In your Gmail, go to settings and then go to the Accounts and Imports tab and all the info is available there.

How? Exactly what pop or imap settings did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

OK, i just tried to do it there and its easier if you do it through your outlook UL account. Log into your email and click "Options" on the top right. Then click the "Organize email" tab. You will see an Inbox rules section. Click "New" and in the pop up screen, select [Apply to all messages] in the first drop down box, and Redirect the message to... in the second box.

Then, down at the bottom of the next pop up box, you will see "Message Recipients" and a box beside it. Type your gmail email in there and thats it.

However you will notice that if you reply to an email sent to your UL account from gmail, it will use your gmail address, not your student mail. You can change this in the gmail settings and whenever you send a mail there will be a drop down box with your UL email in it so it will appear that you are sending it from your UL account, cant remember how it is done, but it is in the Accounts and Import tab in gmail settings somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Ascendotum

In Gmail settings under accounts click "Add a mail account you own"
    then use the following settings:

content
    content

So you can send email as your student email from gmail you have to set up the smtp server info aswell. Log onto your outlook.com student account and click the small down arrow on the top right of the page, beside the help icon. Click on "about" from the dropdown (Note that this option is not available on chrome for mac).

content

A window should open. You need the smtp server name. It will probably be something like "pod51022.outlook.com".

Back in the accounts page on gmail click "Add another email address you own". Fill it in using the smtp server name you got earlier:

content

Now your student email will be automatically sent to your gmail account and you can also send as your student email.

diarmuid

Ascendotum wrote: »
    In Gmail settings under accounts click "Add a mail account you own"
    then use the following settings:

diarmuid

Thanks i got it set up with your help!
    i think my initial problem was my POP username. im pretty sure i just used my ID as the UN originally, but it should be XXXXXXXX@studentmail.ul.ie (where XXX is your ID #)

also got my smtp settings from the address bar (https://amsprd0102.outlook.com/owa/?modurl=0) because i couldnt find the about button, it just had a scroll help where you pointed to.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ascendotum

The drop down menu is here:

content

If you are using Chrome on mac that option is not available for some reason, works with firefox though.

Ascendotum wrote: »
    The drop down menu is here:

content

If you are using Chrome on mac that option is not available for some reason, works with firefox though.
    yeah i was on a mac at the time, but using safari. definately wasnt an "about" option, just the help and privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

If anyone has an iPhone/iPod Touch and doesn't want the forwarding of they're outlook e-mails to their gmail, and instead want 2 separate accounts, the settings for the Microsoft Exchange setup are as follows:

Email: XXXXXXXX@studentmail.ul.ie (Prefix being your ID Number)

Server: m.outlook.com

Domain: studentmail.ul.ie
    Username: XXXXXXXX@studentmail.ul.ie (Prefix being your ID Number)
    Password: (You're own password used to login to outlook.com)

=========================================

Found these settings through this link: http://help.outlook.com/en-IE/140/ms.exch.ecp.EmailOnMobilePhone.aspx?amp%3br=ia&amp%3bl=1&amp%3bs=EDU_Org_Own_E14_R4

Hope this helps anyone with iPhones/iPod Touch :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement