Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry's

Options
  • 14-10-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Just talking about clubbing in Cork on another thread, got me to thinking back to Henry's and the good old days.

What was you memory of Henry's (if you could actually remember :D)?

Favourite night? DJ?

What era did you go??

Mine was the 1997 - 2003. Absolutley lived for Sweat. Saw Kerri Chandler live, what a night. A good night in the backbar as well, all the windows to the street steamed up.....what a club.
    I was living abroad when the closed her down, a sad day for clubbing in Cork. RIP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i remember it being so hot and stuffy in there, spent a good chunk of the night heading to the emergency exit doors by the woman's toilets because there was a breeze in there, great night though! great club! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

i remember it being so hot and stuffy in there, spent a good chunk of the night heading to the emergency exit doors by the woman's toilets because there was a breeze in there, great night though! great club! :)

+1 bit of a dive tbh but I loved it all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Ahh, happy days. I have some vague memories of some of the "battle of the bands" nights in the late 80's, though they all merge into one noisy, dark, smoky, hazy, wonderful blur.
    I spilled a pint over Dave Fanning and then proceeded to vomit on his shoes one night. In fairness to him he took it quite well, (as far as I remember). :D
    Getting all misty eyed thinking of the place......Oh wait, thats just smoke in my eyes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Waiting for the inevitable "I was there when Nirvana played":D

The club was way bigger then though - the capacity was about 50,000:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

First time in Henrys was 1994 I think. I was 15!. Went there regularly until about 2001.

So many amazing memories from the place. Laurent Garnier doing a 6 hour set in The Forum as part of a weekender. Kerri Chandlers first visit. The 9th birthday when "2 Blind 2 C It" by Kim Syms was played. Loudest reaction I had ever heard for a track. Sasha and Digweed when sasha played the set of his life after rumours went about his plane could not land due to severe fog. Christ I could go on all day.

But of all those, my favourite memory was just getting to the top of the stairs and just hearing the lazy, but heavy bassline pumping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

gimmick wrote: »
    But of all those, my favourite memory was just getting to the top of the stairs and just hearing the lazy, but heavy bassline pumping.

very nicely described ;)
    If you ever passed Henrys on a sat night and looked up, all you could see was the steamed windows of the back bar. You'd hear the bass, and you'd know that a good choon came on when the crowd started whistling.

Every bodaaaaay.............move yo bodaaaaay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

This thread makes my jaw hurt :D

Loved Henry's! The soaking wet walls and Dark Alcoves, with Bottles of Carling XL!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Henrys was great they should bring back something like it again. I used to love the way they had differant music playing in all the rooms catered for everyones taste...The walls yeah were a bit ming alrite but it was always fun it was the only place all my friends would go becuase it had everything...

I do rem laughing one halloween going in there when the bouncer told me I had to take off this bigring i was wearing because of fights (which to be honest i never say anymore than I saw anywhere else) and i looked around laughing going ok people are walking in with studded dog collars and all sorts and u want me to hand over my ring mmm nope

poconnor16 wrote: »
    Every bodaaaaay.............move yo bodaaaaay!

That does my head in actually. Its taken over the Pav. Im sure it was the 20th birthday weekend, we decided to count and there was 30 seperate everybodeeee dobe bodeeees.

I remember anyother night in the back bar, the ceiling started leaking. People thought it was due to the heat, when in fact the gents directly above was overflowing and seeped it way through

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Was in there one Halloween for a buddy's birthday. Four fellas came through the dance floor shouldering a coffin. Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Beachball in the summer, and Snowball in the winter on Thursday nights were daaacent!! It was like a naughty first fix of house before the weekend actually started.

Especially when Greg and Shane were playing down the back bar.

Simpler times..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Babette

Unidentified liquid always dripped on to the punters from the ceiling in the back bar, everyone knew the gents' was overhead but no-one cared. Happy days.

I was a glass collector there when I was seventeen. Good times :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BU1ZStBb3M

this link to part one of two ,of this interview on u tube. i really enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BU1ZStBb3M

this link to part one of two ,of this interview on u tube. i really enjoyed it.

^^
    So weird seeing it on Youtube. Thinking about it, there is so little digital stuff left behind from that time compared to today where people record nearly every detail of their social lives.

Went there in my college years late 90s-early 2000s btw but what happened in the club stays in the club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

sweaty walls and lime green shirts with pin stripe trousers

Remember how cool you were if you got up on to the stage in the main room to show off your raving skills. And you were especially cool if you an item of white clothing on - the UV lights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

1994 to the end, most of that concentrated from 1998 onwards. I was more of a back bar person - loved the funk mixes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Stevie G has a load of pictures from back in the day on his FB page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Sir Henry's Night Club Cork It's happening. No clubs in cork to cater for the size of what we are going to do. It's going ahead, but huge planning is needed for what we are going to do :-). Please be patient guys , it's going to epic and it's not a wind up.

I read that last night. Dunno it it's true???

Bill-e wrote: »
    Sir Henry's Night Club Cork It's happening. No clubs in cork to cater for the size of what we are going to do. It's going ahead, but huge planning is needed for what we are going to do :-). Please be patient guys , it's going to epic and it's not a wind up.

I read that last night. Dunno it it's true???

Wow, heard nothing about that.

Would it be the same though? I dont think it is something that can be re-created. Jeez would love to see what they do though..and where..

Advertisement