Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance/Back to Eduction grant.

Options
  • 14-10-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,

So I applied a few weeks ago for the grant through social welfare. Have not heard anything back. I'm also receiving the DA. Is it possible that they cancelled the DA and put the grant in? I'm just noticing the different name in my bank account, normally it would be in letters but since last week or so, it has been in numbers. Or am I being paranoid and will receive some sort of grant with my DA?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Hi,

So I applied a few weeks ago for the grant through social welfare. Have not heard anything back. I'm also receiving the DA. Is it possible that they cancelled the DA and put the grant in? I'm just noticing the different name in my bank account, normally it would be in letters but since last week or so, it has been in numbers. Or am I being paranoid and will receive some sort of grant with my DA?

Thanks.

Not sure I understand, why apply for the grant through social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Not sure I understand, why apply for the grant through social welfare?

To be honest I'm not sure why, I didn't look into it properly and I only found out few weeks ago I was being accepted into a college, so everything was last minute about grants etc, everything is just a mess at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

To be honest I'm not sure why, I didn't look into it properly and I only found out few weeks ago I was being accepted into a college, so everything was last minute about grants etc, everything is just a mess at the minute.

You may have to be careful with this one. In order to begin a course if on DA you require written permission from the relevant section to attend the course. You can do this by completing a form and returing it to DA and usually there isint a problem getting permission.

If you also applied for the grant you may get both DA and the Grant depending on your circumstances. However if you are called for a medical assessment and deemed fit for a return to work, you will not receive JA or JB while attending you current course.

Probably not explained too well but, hopefully this is of some help.

You may have to be careful with this one. In order to begin a course if on DA you require written permission from the relevant section to attend the course. You can do this by completing a form and returing it to DA and usually there isint a problem getting permission.

If you also applied for the grant you may get both DA and the Grant depending on your circumstances. However if you are called for a medical assessment and deemed fit for a return to work, you will not receive JA or JB while attending you current course.

Probably not explained too well but, hopefully this is of some help.

Update

I got my Back to Education grant today so everything worked out in the end. Thanks for the responses for the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Update

I got my Back to Education grant today so everything worked out in the end. Thanks for the responses for the above.

Am I right in thinking you didnt get any extra money? and its just that instead of the DA you are now getting BTEA? in other words only the name has changed but you are no better off financially?

also note:
    the Back to Education grant is not a grant its an allowance --> BTEA
    or are you talking about the maintenance grant? this the one available from you co council. they are two very different things!

• Advertisement

me@ucd wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking you didnt get any extra money? and its just that instead of the DA you are now getting BTEA? in other words only the name has changed but you are no better off financially?

also note:
    the Back to Education grant is not a grant its an allowance --> BTEA
    or are you talking about the maintenance grant? this the one available from you co council. they are two very different things!

It was a book allowance that I got. Think it is a one off payment. I got confused on the whole situation early on but it not be much but it has helped financially in getting some stuff for my course. I was unaware of the council one but I'm happy with what I got.

Advertisement