Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Eircom trouble losing xbox connection every few minutes!!

• 14-10-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

i know another eircom thread just bare with me!

i have the 7mb eircom package with the new black router.

it connects to xbox perfect but after say 20 to 30 minutes it disconnects me from xbox live:mad:??

the internet stays working fine on the laptop etc so does anyone know what the problem here is?

im ringing eircom in the morning (doubt il get any help), iv already set my firewall to low as this happened to me before with my old eircom connection, iv had vodafone before and ntl and never had these problems? so will i change my router or do i even have to?...

cheers in advanced;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Have you enabled the nat on the router page? Also there is a big drop down list of various devices and games, have you selected the xbox 360? You may also have to assign your xbox a new I.P adress, but i'm not entirely sure on that. Is it just your xbox that cuts out? You able to surf alright on your laptop/desktop without it cutting out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

siblers wrote: »
    Have you enabled the nat on the router page? Also there is a big drop down list of various devices and games, have you selected the xbox 360? You may also have to assign your xbox a new I.P adress, but i'm not entirely sure on that. Is it just your xbox that cuts out? You able to surf alright on your laptop/desktop without it cutting out?

i assume it is enabled, there are 3 options under nat they are general,port forwarding and ALG which one of these do i go into?

there is no option to change the devices at all thats the thing not on this new black router, i remember i had to change my settings to age of empires when i use to have the old silver router that eircom provided but now there is no drop down list of devices or at least i cant find it:confused:

ye im able to use my computer and the 2 laptops perfect, its just after about 20 minutes it disconnects from xbox live:mad:

thanks for the help bud too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hmmm, not entirely sure as I have the old router. In the old one you went into customer services in advanced options. Although you may have to enable UPNP as opposed to enabling NAT. There isn't an option for Upnp by any chance? If you go into various options there should be something listed for NAT or Upnp. If you come across either, then enable them. I'm sure someone who has the same router will be able to help ye, shouldn't be anything too complicated as getting xboxlive working with eircom is usually handy enough :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

I was never able to get their new black ZyXEL routers to work with Live, neither have several of my friends. All have had to revert to the silver one. I myself have their new one which I intend on returning to them for a silver one as when my silver one broke they sent me out their new trash. I'm now on their 2005 netopia model for the time being. Which works great but is ugly as hell. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

That Zyxel piece of crap isn't compatible with the Xbox wireless gizmo. The only way you can maintain a connection is with an ethernet cable.

• Advertisement

When I tried my Xbox through Ethernet with it it wouldn't even log into Live.
    I had the firewall set to low and it logging in through PPOE and nothing.
    After all the setting up I'd done on their previous modems I wasn't about to do hours of searching for another friggin model.

got it going lads, had to change back to the old silver router and it worked fine as my settings are actually on xbox from the drag down list.

in a nutshell the new black router is a joke and is not compatable with xbox live at all unless you get really technical.

eircom actually tried to tell me its xbox's fault:D and to ring them up for port numbers etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

Hold on lads I have the zyXEL modem and I have set it up perfectly the only problem is you have to turn off modem firewall for open NAT and to change the reauthentucation timer, idle timeout and group key update timer digits from 3600 to 9999 and that should stop the d/c from live every 10-20min (makes it happen every 3-4 hrs)

Hears6 wrote: »
    Hold on lads I have the zyXEL modem and I have set it up perfectly the only problem is you have to turn off modem firewall for open NAT and to change the reauthentucation timer, idle timeout and group key update timer digits from 3600 to 9999 and that should stop the d/c from live every 10-20min (makes it happen every 3-4 hrs)

still a pain in the arse bud, you shouldnt have to do any of that, eircom promotes online gameing so it should work 100 per cent for as long as you want it to, rather than disconnecting you when it see's fit.

it should have the drag down settings like the old router, not everyone knows how to go at all the settings and change stuff around etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Hears6

still a pain in the arse bud, you shouldnt have to do any of that, eircom promotes online gameing so it should work 100 per cent for as long as you want it to, rather than disconnecting you when it see's fit.

it should have the drag down settings like the old router, not everyone knows how to go at all the settings and change stuff around etc.

I agree it shouldn't happen but it still worked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hears6 wrote: »

This worked for me also. I was going nuts with it disconnecting every few minutes - didn't have to turn off the firewall, only had to change the timer to 9999 for it to work perfectly. Hardly a big deal....

Disconnecting several hours at a time is still no good really. If you're playing something like dead rising or GoW on insane in co-op etc, you're still in the crapper if your periodic DC is during a point you haven't saved and you've potentially lost hours of your own time. I'm sure there is many games that this can occur in. I just returned my Zyxel one and asked for a silver one, if enough people do it maybe they'll sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

It's the WPA handshake as you've correctly identified

Change the network to WEP and it wont happen

If you're worried about security then just hide the SSID and you'll be pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qbhod

Vegeta wrote: »
    It's the WPA handshake as you've correctly identified

Change the network to WEP and it wont happen

If you're worried about security then just hide the SSID and you'll be pretty good

^ Can anyone confirm if this works? ^

Do the old Silver ones use this too?
    The current black one being in question i'm using is WPA-PSK

Got this message when i selected WEP
    "Note:
    1: The different WEP key lengths configure different strengths of security, 40/64-bit, or 128-bit respectively. Your wireless client must match the security strength set on the router.
    - Please type exactly 5 or 13 characters (5 will create a 64-bit key and 13 will create a 128-bit key) or
    - Alternatively type exactly 10 or 26 Hexadecimal (numbers 0-9 or letters a-f) characters (10 will create a 64-bit key and 26 will create a 128-bit key).
    2:Adding a passphrase and clicking the Generate button will only generate a 40-bit key."

So i'm not sure what number of characters i should use :confused:

I REALLY don't want to have to exchange this for another from Eircom as it means i'll probably be without internet for 3 weeks:eek:(last time i needed the Silver one replaced because it broke and that's how long it took to get this piece of junk)

I also changed those timer digits to 9999 which worked fine until those 9999 seconds were up(i assume) and the connection dropped out.

Also, trying to configure NAT on this isn't quite as clear as it used to with the Silver model, you can't define whether it's UDP or TCP etc...

[URL="[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=37&u=15133109][img]http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/15/13/31/09/110.jpg[/img][/url]"][/url]110.jpg

[img][/img]210.jpg

So i'm not sure if that's really working.
    Anyway, i REALLY need help here please as this is driving me mad, i've had an ethernet cable going across the living room for ages but want to be able to put the 360 back in my bedroom and use my wireless adaptor. :(

WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP GIVEN!

Advertisement