Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VES Abroad trustworthy?

• 14-10-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey guys,

VES Abroad were around my college during the week and im really interested in going, i've booked a place and everything. there's a snag though...my mom doesn't think its trustworthy. she researched it and once she saw the words "not a registered charity" she automatically presumed they would just rob our money. so my question to you is: Is VES Abroad trustworthy????

http://www.vesabroad.com/home_1.htm

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's not a registered charity because it's a travel company, like i-to-i.
    $2000 for 15 days?? That is insane.

I'm in the middle of putting together a list of free places to volunteer. And that way you'll be helping a charity, not a company. Please don't go with these people. Not unless you find out a certain (large) percentage of your fee goes to the place you'll be working in (Highly unlikely).

I know this is very attractive as these pay-to-go places require very little experience/skill/training beforehand and you can go for a short time. But its completely ripping you off. And as someone who has run projects abroad I can tell you the volunteers are wheeled in and out every two weeks, given menial tasks to do and don't contribute much.

Have a read of the thread at the top of this forum called 'Why can't I volunteer abroad for free?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aoife1990

I go Limerick and I haven't heard of this group, i think they are only new. The company I went to Australia with last year was International student volunteers and they were awesome- they have a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=&init=quick&tas=0.4487274745846019#!/internationalstudentvolunteers
    maybe show your ma this?
    my friend went with real gap and they had fun in india too.
    hope this helps and you get to travel, it was so amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aoife1990

you get to do amazing adventure activites after as well. i went surfing and saw so many australian animals. amazing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ok, well if it's a holiday with a bit of volunteering thrown in then by all means go for it.

If it's volunteering you're after there are many more reputable organizations you can go with. Ones that are actual charities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I think the best option is not to trust any of these organisations that come into college, they can convincingly masquerade as a volunteering organisation but in fact they are in fact a profit organisation. I went to one of their talks last year and not once did they mention that they were not a non-profit organisation. They are excellent promoters and make the experience seem real enticing. It is more of a holiday/volunteering opportunity they are offering you rather than a full volunteering opportunity. Personally I would never go with an organisation like that but the OP might find that what they are offering best suits her needs. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement