Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billing Delays - Legal Rights

Options
  • 14-10-2010 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know the legalities of when and how a utility company must issue a bill ?

I moved into a new house in early 2010 and the provider rang me last week to ask why the bills kept bouncing. It turned out that they had the wrong address in their system - an address that was set up by my landlord in my name with the utility company.

I'm concerned now as there could be a whopping bill on the way but as of yet I still haven't seen anything.

Quite nervous now..... ;-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Crimson125 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know the legalities of when and how a utility company must issue a bill ?

I moved into a new house in early 2010 and the provider rang me last week to ask why the bills kept bouncing. It turned out that they had the wrong address in their system - an address that was set up by my landlord in my name with the utility company.

I'm concerned now as there could be a whopping bill on the way but as of yet I still haven't seen anything.

Quite nervous now..... ;-(

But they did issue a bill, just sent to the wrong address.

Did you not wonder why you never got bills from them before they called?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Crimson125

Hi Gerard,

I did wonder, but kept expecting them to arrive at some point.

I spoke with them early after I moved in, but then never heard from them.

I forgot about them for the most part over the last few months as I've had other stuff on my mind.

Also, given that they never issued a bill to me at my address, did they actually issue a bill to me ?

It's their billing error that has caused this, certainly nothing that I did wrong I feel.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ultimately you used the utilied so they are entitled to charge you, do you expect free services?

Absolutely not expecting free service. Just concerned about the potential size of a bill landing fully overdue in one go and I have no idea how much it's going to be for.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

AFAIK there is no protection in law for the consumer being an idiot, sorry I meant to type failing to act in a timely, responsible manner to inform the utility company of the absence of bills. They may give you time to pay, but they're not obliged to.

Thanks for the advice guys. I now am feeling like I'm 100% responsible for this mess and am up the creek without a paddle. Not quite how I saw the situation before I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Also, given that they never issued a bill to me at my address, did they actually issue a bill to me ?

It's their billing error that has caused this, certainly nothing that I did wrong I feel.

To be fair, it's not their fault the landlord gave them the wrong address either. They can only work with the information given.

Nevertheless, you'll probably be landed with a large bill which will be marked for immediate payment. Don't wait for the situation to escalate, contact the provider asap and negotiate a payment plan that you can stick to. At least that way you may not have to pay in large lump sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Nevertheless, you'll probably be landed with a large bill which will be marked for immediate payment. Don't wait for the situation to escalate, contact the provider asap and negotiate a payment plan that you can stick to. At least that way you may not have to pay in large lump sum.

Great advice there - yes, there may be a large bill on the way, but you can usually negotiate a payment plan with the provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Their error, but also your error for not ensuring the details were correct. The land lord should not have been the one to set up the details, it was your responsibility.

Do as slimjimmc says. Contact them as soon as you get the bill and arrange a payment plan if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Why did you not ask what the outstanding balance was on the account while on the phone to your provider - instead of waiting for the bill in the post?
    ... and the provider rang me last week to ask why the bills kept bouncing...

Advertisement