Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An UK national football team

• 14-10-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Is there even the slightest chance of this ever happening? Do FIFA have any opinion on England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland forming a single association etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Don't we'll ever see it. Don't think the UK countries would want it either tbh. Cause too much trouble much like a united Ireland team IMO..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

The UK associations would not want a unified team in case they lose their voting rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It'd just be England + Gareth Bale if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Throw in Ramsey also imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Fletcher, McGregor, Evans, Ramsey and maybe Bellamy (everyone knows he's quality even though he's at Cardiff) would have cases for the squad, imo. All hypothetical of course, haven't heard any movement on the issue.

But in the event it did happen, it might indirectly benefit us in that people with Irish ancestry (eg Mark Noble) could be more likely to declare because of the even bigger player resources available. Not ideal by any means but hey...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Definitely Fletcher also - he'd be comfortably better than any defensive midfielders England are playing currently - G Barry for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Fletcher yes, forgot about him. Couldn't see Bellamy getting in the squad after deciding to drop to the Championship. Nobody knows how Ramsey will recover from his injury, Evans not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Evans is even worse than the ageing and overrated centre halfs England already have.

Fletcher would walk into the England team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Fletcher and Bale. Both would start too. Thinking about it there is no RB in the UK atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

A UK team would probably pave the way for a United Ireland team too if it happened. On a similar basis to the Olympics where everyone in the North could choose who they could represent.

It's all hypothetical cos it just isn't going to happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

A UK team would probably pave the way for a United Ireland team too if it happened. On a similar basis to the Olympics where everyone in the North could choose who they could represent.

It's all hypothetical cos it just isn't going to happen

Speaking of which I read (and I believe it's still the case?) that there is going to be a "Great Britain" team represented at the 2012 Olympics (because it is in London). Usually the home nations never get to play at the games because they cannot appear under their individual national banners. It'll be interesting to see who will appear in this particular Team GB. As far as I know it may just be only England players due to some technicality. Thing is I doubt there is any Scot/Wales player who be better than his England equivalent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

bonerm wrote: »
    Speaking of which I read (and I believe it's still the case?) that there is going to be a "Great Britain" team represented at the 2012 Olympics (because it is in London). Usually the home nations never get to play at the games because they cannot appear under their individual national banners. It'll be interesting to see who will appear in this particular Team GB. As far as I know it may just be only England players due to some technicality. Thing is I doubt there is any Scot/Wales player who be better than his England equivalent anyway.

There will be a GB team at the Olympics but no Scots.Welsh or NI players will be includes as they refused to allow there players permission to take part. Blatter said this would not have any effect on the status of the individual nations but they didn't believe him.
    It won't happen anytime soon and rightly so Scotland also have a veto on anything like this ever coming about due to there position at FIFA

It's a bit silly that the UK don't play as one team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Sure why not lets all just hold hands and play as continents? 7 teams on a league basis......

Lets roll back 100 years though, I wouldn't like to be part of a UK&Ireland team and I assume the majority of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish people (excluding a few decent players who might want a shot at winning the WC :pac: ) wouldn't want to be for the same reasons.

It, for me, would be a bit embarrassing for an Irish person to be advocating a UK team in any form really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Le King wrote: »
    Fletcher and Bale. Both would start too. Thinking about it there is no RB in the UK atm.

Hutton? Id have him over Johnson everyay of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Scotland also have a veto on anything like this ever coming about due to there position at FIFA

Is that the same as Wales and Northern Ireland too?
    The Home Associations have an individual vote for general voting procedure in FIFA don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

A* UK National football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

A UK National football team.

'U' is a vowel so my title sounds okay to me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

'U' is a vowel so my title sounds okay to me. :)

It is actually 'a' but it's no biggie, we all know what was meant. It's like university. Starts with a 'u' but you don't say an university. ;)

But that makes me think about the name fully. United Kingdon implies the countries are united. The United States play as one team, I don't see why the UK couldn't. What would maybe be beneficial would be Scotland, Wales and NI uniting. They could be much stronger together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

It, for me, would be a bit embarrassing for an Irish person to be advocating a UK team in any form really.

Maybe, but then it is it not ironic that most Irish football supporters support English Premiership teams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Never gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Is that the same as Wales and Northern Ireland too?
    The Home Associations have an individual vote for general voting procedure in FIFA don't they?

Yep all the "Home nations have these voting rights due to their historical role
    Bit about it here
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=591787&cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

LordSutch wrote: »
    Maybe, but then it is it not ironic that most Irish football supporters support English Premiership teams!

No not at all, because apart from sharing players, club and country are totally different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Who cares, they'd still be crap anyways

Sure why not lets all just hold hands and play as continents? 7 teams on a league basis......

Bit silly.
    Lets roll back 100 years though, I wouldn't like to be part of a UK&Ireland team and I assume the majority of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish people (excluding a few decent players who might want a shot at winning the WC :pac: ) wouldn't want to be for the same reasons.

Eh, Scottish, Welsh and N.Irish are part of the UK. The UK is their country too.

There is little point in projecting your own feelings about the UK onto UK citizens.

Only if you have a mammoth inferiority complex.

There are not many valid reasons, other than tradition, why the UK should not be playing as one team.

Otherwise why not have other national regions playing as seperate teams
    ? We could have Catalunya being officially recognised, or the German Laender.

Advertisement