Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dialysis

Options
  • 14-10-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

My Dad has Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD) and will have to begin Dialysis once he gets his blood pressure down, he will get the fistula in on Tuesday but from what I hear it takes a few months to settle down.

Has anyone got any experience of living while on dialysis? Is it possible to live a fairly normal life? Can you go on holidays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

Hi, just spotted your post, hope all went well with your dad and the fistula. My mother has PKD and had a transplant three years ago. Before that she was having dialysis three times a week. Depending on when the sessions are scheduled, w/es away or midweek breaks are possible, but abroad is pretty much out. I think it's possible to go to the UK, if you can arrange dialysis with a local hospital. I would advise checking out the IKA, Irish Kidney Association, They offer excellent support and can arrange slots in other centres round the country, although I do know most places are pretty chocka these days. We found them plus Mam's dedicated renal nurse to be fabulous. Wishing your Dad all the best in the future, and just to let you know, after the transplant life goes back almost completely to normal, Mam hasn't looked back since.

Advertisement