Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend limit to increase to 1000?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/14/xbox-live-friend-limit-to-increase-to-1000/
    Joystiq wrote:
    It looks like our brilliant plan to stop playing Halo 2 (which was helped along by Microsoft's removal of Live support for Xbox 1 games) worked! According to a deleted Facebook announcement from Xbox Germany, the friend list cap on Xbox Live is being boosted from a paltry 100 to a ridiculous 1,000. "How many friends do you have?" the (Google-translated) announcement read. "Not enough? Then you looking for new friends on the Finder tab!" (View the full announcement and translation after the break.)

Strangely, neither the embiggened friend list cap nor the "Finder tab" are present in our preview version of the upcoming Dashboard update. We're still locked in to the smaller, more intimate, friend limit. We're checking with Microsoft now to determine when this update will roll out to you and the masses of people waiting to be muted by you.

Original Facebook announcement (Xbox Germany):

Eine von vielen langjährigen Xbox LIVE Usern gewünschte Änderung war das Limit der 100 Freunde. Mit dem Update könnt ihr jetzt bis zu 1.000 Freunde eurer Freundesliste hinzufügen. Wie viele Freunde habt ihr? Nicht genug? Dann sucht euch neue über den Freunde-Finder-Reiter!

Translation (via Google):

"A lot of long-term change was desired by Xbox LIVE users the limit of 100 friends. With the update you can now up to 1,000 friends of your friends list. How many friends do you have? Not enough? Then you looking for new friends on the Finder tab!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Probably won't affect most people.

On the plus side, it means easier management of this site's boardsgamers friends list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Major Nelson on twitter

"Let me straighten things out: We will not be expanding the friends list as a part of the next Xbox LIVE Update."

Well I guess that's that then. :(

I'd put money on this being classic misdirection by Larry Hryb.

"We will not be expanding the friends list.... we will be revamping it completely to allow for grouping, clans, auto-parties".

Or "We will not be expanding the friends list as a part of the next Xbox LIVE update, but we will be doing it a month later after Kinect beds down for a bit."

It'll happen. The 100 friend limit was a symptom of halo 2 multiplayer. When they shut that down, it opened up new possibilities. Expanded friend lists are inevitable, especially with Windows Mobile 7 coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Well, there's no expansion in the new Dashboard so far - unless they're holding out on us Beta testers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Jesus why would you need 1000 people on your friend list. thats a ridiculous amount!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

If the limit was 10 friends it would still be 6 too many for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Groups would be nice. Then I could add everyone from here and have one group for it.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I had it at the 100 limit, but then it got too annoying when playing games having X/Y/Z has signed in pop up , (i know you can turn it off, but certain people I do want to see) ...

So ended up pruning the list completely, down to 15 or so people who I actually know personally....

It's bad enough on STEAM and Xfire with a few 100 on each, couldnt deal with anymore on XBOX.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

jaysus 1000 friends. i couldnt handle being that popular:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I had it at the 100 limit, but then it got too annoying when playing games having X/Y/Z has signed in pop up , (i know you can turn it off, but certain people I do want to see) ...

So ended up pruning the list completely, down to 15 or so people who I actually know personally....

It's bad enough on STEAM and Xfire with a few 100 on each, couldnt deal with anymore on XBOX.

Yeah i'm the same, i just stick with proper friends that i know. Anyone who adds me and i don't recognize them i'll either ask for a name (if its not in their bio) and if i dont recognize them, Decline:p

not tryin to be ignorant lol anyone on boards who add me i just accept though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Going from a limit of 100 to 150 or maybe 200 sounds reasonable, but 1000 is waaaay out there. I think I might have about twelve on my friends list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

quarryman wrote: »
    If the limit was 10 friends it would still be 6 too many for me :(

Yea looks like ill have space for 998 more friends so ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

A 1000, thats mad.

I hit the 100 mark, and did a bit of a prune! Another prune is on the way to remove anyone I don't play games anymore or don't know...

Only reason for this, is the popping up info for who is online is annoying, ya it can be turned off completely, but like another poster said, I might be interested to see some people online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Limerick3

Wish they did this on PSN:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

One thing I want them to "Revamp" is that beepideebooop every time somebody logs on, I'm at the stage of disconnecting from live whenever I'm playing a game offline. There I am immersed in Halo Reach Campaign, then beepideebooop and I'm suddenly out. Ruins story modes sometimes. I want an option that lets me turn that off, or only have it for certain friends.

[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Can you not just turn off the dashboard noises? It was the first thing I turned off when I got the Xbox as it was annoying hearing a little chime everytime I touched the left stick. The only problem might be if you like the achievement pop jingle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cheevo Hunter

Just turn them off dude. Hit the guide button->go to 'Settings'->Notifications->Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I turned the sounds off but had to turn them back on because there's nothing more satisfying than the achievement blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Asmodean wrote: »
    I turned the sounds off but had to turn them back on because there's nothing more satisfying than the achievement blip.

This is true. On the other hand, though, there is nothing more annoying than gunning for an achievement, thinking you must have scored it, hearing that blip, and looking down to find out it doesn't say "achievement unlocked", it says "so-and-so is online".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

deathrider wrote: »
    This is true. On the other hand, though, there is nothing more annoying than gunning for an achievement, thinking you must have scored it, hearing that blip, and looking down to find out it doesn't say "achievement unlocked", it says "so-and-so is online".

This. All the time.

• Advertisement

I was playing Super Meat Boy last night on the first boss (running for my life along the bottom of the screen). Bloooop. Johnny Ultimate is online. Obscured SMB and I ran into a chainsaw. W*nker. :p:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 bonkeyfonkey

If they increase the friend limit they will have to get rid of the signing in notifications!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

When is this update due anyways????

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Supposedly its imminent, the Dashboard preview forums are being (or have been) shut down so id expect it within a week anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

CKWPORT wrote: »
    When is this update due anyways????
    It should be early next week - probably the Tuesday before Kinect launches.

I've no official statement to back that up, but am making assumptions that they won't do it at the weekend and risk it then.
    - They won't do it on the day of Kinect launch - November 4th in the US(because they want to get it out of the way before then)
    - They won't do it too far in advance of Kinect Launch, because of some of the references to Kinect in the Welcome screens. (You never know, some people mightn't understand that they need a separate device :))
    - The latest update removed a bunch of the Kinect 'Beta' tagged software from download, and said that users can still use it up until 29 October
    - They normally do these sort of things when the serivce is least busy (in the past that's 1-2am Pacific time on a Tuesday, 9-10am here).

With all that said, it doesn't do anything to the numbers on the Friends list (at least in the Beta anyway).

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

So is the limit still set at 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    So is the limit still set at 100?
    Yep

Advertisement