Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

non muslim guy and muslim girl

• 14-10-2010 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

hey all

right basically im a Christian guy (not strict) and i like a Muslim girl (fairly strict) and i respect her religion and understand how it affects things, i havent bought the subject with her as i dont want her to feel awkward around me so not sure how she feels, but i do know she is always happy around me and relaxed. What should i do? Should i tell her just to be honest with her?

Thanks guys any advice appreciated

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

What are you looking for in this relation?

As you said in your post her religion will affects things......The Muslim girl is not allowed to marry a non Muslim man....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭petemg

well if im honest mmalaka i would like the chance to be in a relationship with her (if she wanted the same)

But i also respect that our religions (as i wont just blame Islam) make it tough the main thing i would like to know is would it be right to tell her my feelings towards her first?

If she is fairly strict as you said...she will not accept to be in a relationship with you and so this will make her feel awkward around you

and what if i looked at converting, i was close a few years ago after taking a look at my friends Quran.

Converting will make things much easier for her......good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I sense a sitcom!

Kurd your enthusiasm?

Thanks mmalaka

Bodhisopha i sense a t**t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It seems like folly to consider converting because you want to smooth the waters for a potential relationship. Conversion should be on the basis of a conviction you have about the teachings of Islam, nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

It seems like folly to consider converting because you want to smooth the waters for a potential relationship. Conversion should be on the basis of a conviction you have about the teachings of Islam, nothing else.

I agree but as the OP said he was close to converting before I would suggest he looks into it. I originally wanted to convert so I could marry my now wife. However when I delved into Islam I discovered it really made sense to me so I converted for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Well that is fair enough. But I can't help but suspect that this is a case of shifting the furniture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

wasn't there some girl in iraq stoned to death for converting to islam so she could marry her boyfriend.

wonder if that would have happened if the sexes were reversed.

ahh here it is
    Du'a Khalil Aswad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

thebhoy wrote: »
    wasn't there some girl in iraq stoned to death for converting to islam so she could marry her boyfriend.

wonder if that would have happened if the sexes were reversed.

ahh here it is
    Du'a Khalil Aswad

That's horrific, really shows you humans aren't all that different to other animals.

Please stay on topic guys

Well guys it went from bad to worse,

she told me she isnt muslim (she said that she said muslim as its easier to explain) and actually she is yasidi and obviously this makes things difficult :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too bad mate, well plenty more fish in the sea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

petemg wrote: »
    Well guys it went from bad to worse,

she told me she isnt muslim (she said that she said muslim as its easier to explain) and actually she is yasidi and obviously this makes things difficult :(

That does make thinks touph....I read up on that religion...you know they revere the angel Tawûsê Melek, whom the Muslims, and by extension possibly the Christians, believe to be Satan. According the wikipedia article anyway.

But to get on topic, I think it is disrespectful to your own religion and to hers to consider converting for the sake of a relationship. It shows you value neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Sorry can I please ask for clarifaction of the following. I was under teh impression that a Muslin man could marry a Jew Or Christian (as they were people of the book) but not atheists polytheistic religions etc. Obviously it would be preferable if they married another Muslim but Jewish nd Christian marriage is accepted. is this true?
    also if Muslim men are allowed to do this are Muslim women not allowed to do it hence why Irish convert felt he had to convert? I am asking a question here not trying to make an assumption? thanks am trying to get a better understanding of Islam in general

• Registered Users Posts: 36 macam girl

TBH, just because some body follows a religion does not mean that anyone interested in them, has to convert ? I do not have a religion and my husband is muslim! I also know plenty of muslim women/men who date/marry non-muslims, catholic etc and vice versa. It really depends on how orthodox/ unorthodox regarding their religion the person is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

This is what Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi writes in his book The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam (New Delhi: KitabBhavan, 2006, p. 185):
    While a Muslim man is permitted to marry a Christian or Jewish woman, a Muslim woman is not allowed to marry a Christian or Jewish man. There are many sound reasons for this difference. First, the man is the head of the household, the one who maintains the family, and he is responsible for his wife. And while Islam guarantees freedom of belief and practice to the Christian or the Jewish wife of a Muslim, safeguarding her rights according to her own faith, other religions, such as Judaism and Christianity, do not guarantee the wife of a different faith freedom of belief and practice, nor do they safeguard her rights. Since this is the case, how can Islam take chances on the future of its daughters by giving them into the hands of people who neither honour their religion nor are concerned to protect their rights? A Christian or Jewish wife of a Muslim lives under the protection of a man who respects the basic tenets of her faith, her scripture, and her prophets, while in contrast to this the Jew or Christian recognises neither the divine origin of Islam, its Book, or its Prophet. How then could a Muslim woman live with such a man, while her religion requires of her the observance of certain worships, duties, and obligations, as well as certain prohibitions. It would be impossible for the Muslim woman to retain her respect for her beliefs as well as to practice her religion properly if she were opposed in this regard by the master of the house at every step.

This passage has a clear, taken for granted, view of marriage as placing women under the protection and control of men. As the husband is viewed as "ruling" the household, the husband's religion is deemed to dominate (a bit like the old political concept of cuius regio, eius religio [whoever rules is the one who decides on the religion]). A Muslim male can, it is asserted, tolerate a non-Muslim wife from among the "People of the Book" (but not from among the polytheists or unbelievers), but a non-Muslim male, it is assumed, cannot be trusted to accommodate the faith of a Muslim wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

hivizman wrote: »
    the husband's religion is deemed to dominate

I must tell my wife this.

P.

• Advertisement

oceanclub wrote: »
    I must tell my wife this.

P.

Everyone knows the wife rules the roost! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Everyone knows the wife rules the roost! :D

I go to Mass at least three times a year, and yet so far she hasn't read a single Dawkins book for me...

P.

Advertisement