Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java web framework advice/recommendations?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello all,

I am in my third year of a Bsc in Computing and am considering developing a web app, on the side. This project is purely to get some experience of MVC model in Java and in turn, perhaps making myself more employable. I have done some research and there are just too many options:D. Without worrying about the specifics of the app, I want to develop a rich interface with a Java backend. The best choices for RIA seem to be:
    • JSF with ICEFaces
    • Flex front-end with Java backend (have some experience with Adobe Flex)
    • Java FX
    • Apache Wicket
    • Tapestry
    And the most sought after frameworks, job wise, seem to be:
    • Struts
    • Spring
    • Hibernate
    • JSF
    I was considering the possibility of using JSF(ICEFaces) for the presentation layer, along with Spring or Hibernate behind it?? Any recommendations?
    Or should I just stick to JSP/Servlets/EJB's and Entity Beans and then move on to a framework?
    Any advice is appreciated.....

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

At the moment I'm using Flex talking to a restful web service (Jersey) which in turn is using JPA (Hibernate) for persistence. Running on Tomcat right now, but will migrate to full J2EE/ EJB3 soon enough. Flex definitely allows for building quick RIA interfaces and its xml handling using e4x is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 El Hamos

Hey, Lynchie....I was considering something similar using Flex. The only problem is I have a limited knowledge of actionscript but any choice is going to involve some learning, so it's not a major deterrent (it is OO, so not too concerned). But there does seem to be a demand for flex developers.
    You mentioned RESTFUL support and that is something I almost overlooked. JSF seems to be poor in that respect? I will not decide for a week or two, after some more research and hopefully some more feedback here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

From an employment point of view I would use Spring, JSP (With tiles/JSTL/Some JS library) hibernate and an Oracle backend.

If you had time then you could play around with some webservices.

All of the above would teach you a lot and make you employable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

How about GWT + Spring? If you really want to go exotic, a no-SQL backend like CouchDB could be interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Modern systems are moving to rich web GUIs calling a REST service, so that's something you should consider. When we designed JSF, this usage wasn't really common, but IceFaces has enabled real AJAX interactions, so that's a pretty good option. I think Struts is starting to show its age, and I'd be concerned about locking myself into Flex (you may want to use the iPhone as a client). Spring/Hibernate are pretty useful though for the backend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement