Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itec Horizon alarm - problem

Options
  • 14-10-2010 9:37pm

In my house this alarm has been unused for a period of time. There was a power outage this evening in the area and when the power came back on the system was activated somehow. nobody knows the code. The bell and internal siren started activating when the front door was opened. In my infinite wisdom I decided to open the panel box when I assume also activated a tamper switch. I have tripped the fuse which powers the box but the outside bell is still ringing - not sure where the power to that comes from - hopefully it is running on battery.
    anybody got any times as to how to turn the dammed thing off before I get murdered by my neighbours...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

glasso wrote: »
    In my house this alarm has been unused for a period of time. There was a power outage this evening in the area and when the power came back on the system was activated somehow. nobody knows the code. The bell and internal siren started activating when the front door was opened. In my infinite wisdom I decided to open the panel box when I assume also activated a tamper switch. I have tripped the fuse which powers the box but the outside bell is still ringing - not sure where the power to that comes from - hopefully it is running on battery.
    anybody got any times as to how to turn the dammed thing off before I get murdered by my neighbours...

It will run till the battery dies, you would need to get up at the bell to knock it off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the external bell is as old as the panel it could go for days.

the bell has stopped - maybe the battery was crap and didn't last that long...
    I have found the manual that has the engineer code but it doesn't seem to work - will give it a go in the morning again when it won't annoy so many people. in the meantime will have to do without light from the ceiling bulbs on the ground floor - ah well. anyone know anything about the trip switch inside the panel - does that need to be be off before the engineer code can be used?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

To get your lights back on disconnect the mains fuse in the panel , close it up & then reset the trip switch.
    The engineer code(even if it has not been changed) will not work as the system is still in alarm mode. You need to enter the user code to disarm first. If you still cant find that then see if you can factory default it.
    A very old system. I would consider upgrading if you want to get something going.

by the way when they say microswitch - is that the spring like thing on the door panel or the swith on the free floating box inside the panel (small box about 4x2X2 inches)?
    how much would a modern panel cost - assuming that all the existing wiring will work?

• Advertisement

It probably is.I would need to see the context in which it was mentioned.
    Replacing panel, keypad, external bell and battety would cost from €550 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

glasso wrote: »
    how much would a modern panel cost - assuming that all the existing wiring will work?

An upgrade would be the best option if you cant get it working, You would also be bringing your alarm up to todays standards which you should also get a cert for. If some of the cables did not work you could add wire free devices onto the alarm panel. Replacing the panel, keypad battery, internal bell plus external bell should cost about €500.

Advertisement