Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the US to work

Options
  • 14-10-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

I am qualified engineer and I would like to move to say New York for 1-3 years to see how things go. Obviously I want to obtain a visa beforehand. Does anyone know how easy or hard it might be to get a visa for the states and where should one start. I don't want to pump much money into it unless I think I stand a good chance. Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If you have a US company to be your sponsor, then getting a work visa is easy right now, as there are more visas available than taking thgem up. Getting the US sponsoris the difficult part.

There are no "get a work visa, then go over to look for a job" visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

silja wrote: »

There are no "get a work visa, then go over to look for a job" visas.

I don't know the details of it, but i thought there was one visa that allowed you to do this IF you have recently graduated from college.

I know it may not suit everyone but could be an option. For example, if I wanted to get to the US it would be better for me to do a 1 yr masters and just get this visa rather than go into lottery of getting a green card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You are correct; if you are a student or within one year of graduating, there is the J1 one year intern visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 greenbrain

Go4less are the only ones who do the one where you don't have to have a prearranged job!!

http://www.go4less.ie/j1/usa-visas-application.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 murm57

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

The Irish Immigration center in Boston is by far the best - cheapest, very helpful and you book your own flights!

http://www.iicenter.org/services/J1.htm

Advertisement