Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ! First ever Over usage Charge!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gypsy10

My son cant connect to his laptop either. Mind you I had a connection for a couple of hours or so when I put the disc in first and keyed in the serial and the other Number. But nothing since. Tried the reset as well. It seems really wierd nearly as if something is blocking it. Can connect with the cable all right but not wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

In the settings is the wireless enabled? - maybe you got interference issues or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gypsy10

Thanks for all the help. Got it sorted last night. Changed the frequency and had to reset on the keys to allow wireless:rolleyes: Happy now:o for the moment. Will keep an eye the usage as well. Dont want any surprises when I get my bill.

You can download an App that sits in the system tray. It's quite useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Im dreading my next bill from eircom:eek: went way over my limit just checked it yesterday (my own fault i guess),i was so used to the old system even if i went over my limit there was no charge.

Is it worth it now to stay with them can anyone who left eircom to another provider suggest one for me please.

• Advertisement

geraardo wrote: »
    Im dreading my next bill from eircom:eek: went way over my limit just checked it yesterday (my own fault i guess),i was so used to the old system even if i went over my limit there was no charge.

Is it worth it now to stay with them can anyone who left eircom to another provider suggest one for me please.
    Yeah I just went over mine there too this month. 30GB is too little IMO. I'm playing a lot of online gaming too now that's eating into it.

Least they have a cap on how much they can charge you but still , it's quite a lot.

What good is NGB when you can't use it. They badly want to increase their limits, (even 50GB would make a big difference). Otherwise they going lose a lot of customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sampras

Checked my usage just there. "You have reached 415% of your monthly usage allowance".. Better take it easy from now on!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

sampras wrote: »
    Checked my usage just there. "You have reached 415% of your monthly usage allowance".. Better take it easy from now on!!:D

WOW!!! thats alot so whats that percentage use in terms of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 sampras

geraardo wrote: »
    WOW!!! thats alot so whats that percentage use in terms of money.

I dont know. The cap is 10gb which is stupid imho. Hopefully the damage isnt too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

are they only charging for going over if you're on one of the 'NGB' packages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭alo1587

I got charged an extra 16.50 this month for my broadband for going over the 30gb limit.I cant figure out how im going over it,I just use it for browsing the net,i dont download gigs of movies or music or play online games?:confused: Must give them a ring...anyone know the number for eircom?

alo1587 wrote: »
    I got charged an extra 16.50 this month for my broadband for going over the 30gb limit.I cant figure out how im going over it,I just use it for browsing the net,i dont download gigs of movies or music or play online games?:confused: Must give them a ring...anyone know the number for eircom?
    You watch a lot of you tube videos?
    Stream anything?

Anything that comes down from internet (Or goes up) counts as bandwidth used.

But yeah it's easy reach 30GB unfort :(

Webmonkey wrote: »
    You watch a lot of you tube videos?
    Stream anything?

Anything that comes down from internet (Or goes up) counts as bandwidth used.

But yeah it's easy reach 30GB unfort :(

Yeah i listen to online radio station alright when im surfing the net,maybe thats it.I dunno,must give them a ring to see what they can do for me.I thought someone was stealing my broadband :eek: but my router is security enabled..

Yeah i listen to online radio station alright when im surfing the net,maybe thats it.I dunno,must give them a ring to see what they can do for me.I thought someone was stealing my broadband :eek: but my router is security enabled..
    Is it WPA or WEP? - the old eircom routers had wep and it's quite easy get this key unless you change it to your own and not default.

Is it WPA or WEP? - the old eircom routers had wep and it's quite easy get this key unless you change it to your own and not default.

Its the old netopia router,the silver one,i think its WEP? when i try and connect to it on my phone it asks for a wep key,so i'm guessing its secure?

Its the old netopia router,the silver one,i think its WEP? when i try and connect to it on my phone it asks for a wep key,so i'm guessing its secure?
    Hmmm possibly not secure. It's quite easy to get the WEP key of the old routers based on the SSID (the name of your AP) unless you change it to something other than the default that comes when you get the router. It could be possible others are stealing it. I'd change the Key to something more secure.

http://192.168.1.254/ I think should get you to your routers configuration.

Thanks Webmonkey,i'll try that.The thing i've noticed recently is the internet light is nearly always flashing on the router even though my laptop is off,it never did this before,the light used to stay on,thats what makes me suspicious!

Thanks Webmonkey,i'll try that.The thing i've noticed recently is the internet light is nearly always flashing on the router even though my laptop is off,it never did this before,the light used to stay on,thats what makes me suspicious!
    Ah yeah chances are so something up. You know in the routers configuration page, you can go to expert mode and see LAN statistics etc and it should list the computers at are connected. That will give you a good idea.

Good luck.

Ah yeah chances are so something up. You know in the routers configuration page, you can go to expert mode and see LAN statistics etc and it should list the computers at are connected. That will give you a good idea.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

'God really hope not! I've had Eircom Broadband installed at my home for many years now, well but the only reason why I stuck with them is, that they never charged me for going overboard on the usage. I personally think it is wrong to start charging now considering the state of the economy and peoples finances, surely, Eircom or not that dumb hardly a company run by idiots, maybe it is managed by idiots. Not that hard to fathom considering what kind of fools have been in charge of this country for the last generation or so, why would company directors be any different. Anyway, If I get a bill that is asking me to pay more it going in the bin. I will pay want I owe and dump their service for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Just got switched over to Eircom NGB a few weeks ago, had 2MBit connection on a 3MB package, nothing has changed since the switchover, must be due to distance from the exchange.
    Downloaded the Useage Meter, keeps popping up and warning me that I have gone over my 30GB limit, now I'm at 40GB, so that's 20 Euro extra that I will have to pay for December. Thinking about paying the extra tenner a month and upgrading to the Unlimited package, any advice ?

I'd advise you do upgrade to that package. I didn't even know it exists? - I'm going over mine too a lot. Might do the same. They do charge as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    'God really hope not! I've had Eircom Broadband installed at my home for many years now, well but the only reason why I stuck with them is, that they never charged me for going overboard on the usage. I personally think it is wrong to start charging now considering the state of the economy and peoples finances, surely, Eircom or not that dumb hardly a company run by idiots, maybe it is managed by idiots. Not that hard to fathom considering what kind of fools have been in charge of this country for the last generation or so, why would company directors be any different. Anyway, If I get a bill that is asking me to pay more it going in the bin. I will pay want I owe and dump their service for good.

While it is all very well to get high and mighty about being charged the fact is thats what you agreed to when you signed up with them. Not being charged has been a bonus rather than an entitlement.

For many years Eircom effectively operated an "unlimited" supposedly limited service. While others operated and continue to operate what is effectively a limited "unlimited" service.

Some people on here never tired of asking when Eircom would start charging for exceeding the cap well now with yet another change of ownership they have changed policies.

For what its worth I agree that they have adopted the wrong policies in the current marketplace.

Also in your tirade against management you should remember that at this stage anyway Eircom are not Irish owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

dub45 wrote: »
    While it is all very well to get high and mighty about being charged the fact is thats what you agreed to when you signed up with them. Not being charged has been a bonus rather than an entitlement.

For many years Eircom effectively operated an "unlimited" supposedly limited service. While others operated and continue to operate what is effectively a limited "unlimited" service.

Some people on here never tired of asking when Eircom would start charging for exceeding the cap well now with yet another change of ownership they have changed policies.

For what its worth I agree that they have adopted the wrong policies in the current marketplace.

Also in your tirade against management you should remember that at this stage anyway Eircom are not Irish owned.

I personally signed nothing I rang them up years back and asked them to install their broadband service at my home. I know there is no signature of mine on any contract on paper anywhere with me signing up to their service. You have a point in around about why by accepting their broadband I accepted their terms of service, but I was never asked though by their rep, and yes it was a bonus getting off being charged for going over the limit.

But is right there should be limits on broadband usage when the prices are so high to get broadband in the first place. Maybe we should say it is an entitlement not a bonus, we are too easy on companies that rip people off in Ireland, and that is what has been going on Ireland for years. It profiteering and if I wanted to change company it not that easy. I live in the countryside were UPC do not provide service. I would switch tomorrow, but the only company that supplies an adequate speed for my needs is Eircom, so eircom has too strong- an monopoly on things which is bad for me and other customers.

Eircom being Foreign owned is important, but lot of the crucial day to day decisions are made in boardrooms in Ireland. Eircom has always been a high-cost phone and broadband provider and most of the middle management and upper management are likely to be majority of Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Eircom is a joke of a isp. I know that other ISPs such as smart or vodafone use there lines but at least most of the money you are paying for the BB is not going to a company that promotes internet cenorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

Don't go near UPC as they to have an over usage change on there 30mb Unlimited BB with a "250gb limit", they send you out a warning letter then charge 70 quid without reason a few months later. Even when you stick below the 250gb Limit?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

I wouldn't give out it took me nearly a year to get connnected to eircom, after a rep. called to my house selling me 1 one of there packages for the 7mg bb, after him telling me it would only take 10 days. Also i've mates who are restricted to using 3 mobilebb complete joke altogether. cause eircom can't be arsed bringing the lines out to them:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

daveo90 wrote: »
    Hey,

I got an eircom bill today! and i was shocked to see I was charged for going over my internet usage limit. First time ever!

But heres the thing! , I was on a 3mb line with 30GB allowance , and i found out that everyone got upgraded to 8mb line with 10GB allowance during the summer!!!! and my line can only get 3mb anyway..?????

It seems unfair im getting charged for going over my allowance when i got "upgraded"...seems like a downgrade to me.

I owe 40euro extra with them, do I have any rights?

What do you guys think?
    Unbelievable,, I just Googled Eircom over usage,, and this board came up,, exact same happened to me today, yeah my bill's about €40 above average. What's goin on, I have no idea? that's why I Googled it?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

ardle1 wrote: »
    Unbelievable,, I just Googled Eircom over usage,, and this board came up,, exact same happened to me today, yeah my bill's about €40 above average. What's goin on, I have no idea? that's why I Googled it?????

Have you checked your stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

i changed to digiweb about 3 months ago now...
    much better service..
    100Gb allowance, 7Mb connection for 5 euro more than i was paying for the 1Mb 10Gb allowance on eircom. (12 month contract, first 3 months are 10 euro cheaper (15 less per month) so overall its going to be 15 euro more expensive in the year only!)

they called there abuot 2 weeks ago asking would we like to go back to them as they have new offers and i told them no. i tried negotiating before we left and they just had set packages and knew that wouldnt change then hung up.

digiweb can afford to provide this service when line rental is 70% of the charge im paying. makes no sense to me why eircom charge so much.

Advertisement