Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Danes

Options
  • 14-10-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Tell me about them!!

We certainly have no room for another dog right now but my OH has a real thing for Great Danes (although its purely based on looks as he likes big dogs) and it is a breed we might consider having in the future (we only ever have rescues in this house so it would be dependant on one coming up in rescue and suiting our circumstances)

I've met two recently though, both owned by diffferent people and I found them both to be quite nervous and skittish. One of them in fairness was a rescue who has come from horrible circumstances but the other had been bought as a pup. Is this a common trait in them?

I'm just interested in any general type information such as exercise requirements, health issues, general temperament etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

There is a Great Dane Rescue in Northern Ireland, and I think one in Cork, although not sure if that is still going.

I have a few friends with Danes and they are lovely dogs. Sure they only take up the space they're in at the time:P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Vel wrote: »
    Tell me about them!!

We certainly have no room for another dog right now but my OH has a real thing for Great Danes (although its purely based on looks as he likes big dogs) and it is a breed we might consider having in the future (we only ever have rescues in this house so it would be dependant on one coming up in rescue and suiting our circumstances)

I've met two recently though, both owned by diffferent people and I found them both to be quite nervous and skittish. One of them in fairness was a rescue who has come from horrible circumstances but the other had been bought as a pup. Is this a common trait in them?

I'm just interested in any general type information such as exercise requirements, health issues, general temperament etc.

Lars Ulrich

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Will actually be getting on before xmas. Can't wait. From what I have learned in my research

*the law (read training them :)) has to be laid down at an early age-last thing you want is a fully grown Dane legging it round your gaff! Plus inevitably you will have to leave it alone to go on eraands/pub etc so it has to be trained to not eat tables when you are gone.

*very susceptible to gastric bloat so you have to feed it on a level height of the danes head

*Ditto with hip dysplasia (so right form of nutrition is important and not to over exercise them (walks yes...ten mile sprints no)

*be prepared for drool :)

* Great with kids and thrive on attention and company (mine will be going to a doggy day care while at work as I dont want it to be on his own)

*Generally Calm round other dogs and not quick to anger unless really provoked

*they are not a stupid animal but can be quite....slow/clumsy :)

Advertisement