Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convincing the boss

• 14-10-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I am currently working in an office of 3, which includes myself. So my two colleagues are the directors, and i fancy myself a new bike, perhaps a cyclocross bike...
    if the office pay for the bike, how do they recuperate the cost of the bike, which would be my main concern since i'll stretch out to €1000. and how does your salary feature in all this? can i nominate the bike shop?

and has anybody her egot experience with Stevens Cyclocross bikes?

thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 69 ✭✭douglastubbs

Tell them the employer prsi is saved on the amount paid for the bike. For example, 1000 at 10.75% is 107.50 saving for the company. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

Tell them the employer prsi is saved on the amount paid for the bike. For example, 1000 at 10.75% is 107.50 saving for the company. Hope this helps

so when my employer writes the cheque for €1000, how soon are they returned this amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

That's up to you to agree it. Basically they pay for the bike, and deduct the cost of the bike from your pre-tax salary over say 10 months. So you save the tax on the 1000 by not getting paid it. The time frame is flexible.
    Some info here http://www.wheelworxbikes.com/bike-to-work-scheme.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

A lot of the Worc guys seem to be on Stevens bikes, and they know 'cross so I'm guessing they are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ba wrote: »
    so when my employer writes the cheque for €1000, how soon are they returned this amount?
    I persuaded my bosses in my last job to take part in the Cycle to Work scheme but telling them they could deduct the entire cost of the bike from my pre-tax salary in one go.

I had savings at the time so it didn't really matter to me that it wiped out most of my income for that one month.

I think, given that there was a lag between them writing a cheque and Cycleways cashing it, that they were not left out of pocket for any time whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    A lot of the Worc guys seem to be on Stevens bikes, and they know 'cross so I'm guessing they are good.

Probably sponsored. They look awesome, if that's important to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Raam wrote: »
    Probably sponsored. They look awesome, if that's important to ya.

is there any other criteria Raam ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

is there any other criteria Raam ?

I am disappointed that you had to ask that question. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i suppose its a small concern... but mainly because the entry level stevens cyclocross is great value and can take mudguards. still not sure on all the white finishing kit...

i believe cyclogical will stock them soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ba wrote: »
    i suppose its a small concern... but mainly because the entry level stevens cyclocross is great value and can take mudguards.

I am admittedly not the best mechanic, but have found that attempting to run a racing cross bike as a winter commuter with rack and mudguards to be a bit of a faff. Aside from the hassle of taking all the stuff on and off before/after races, once the canti cables were set up at the perfect angle there was no space for the guards (at least at the rear). Also, I would run brakes for racing with greater rim clearance than for road use (or else they clog with grass), and without barrel adjusters this means loosening/tightening at the cable bolts which eventually munches up the cables.

I'm probably doing it all wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

There's a Stevens bike parked in the bike rack at work regularly. I could lie in wait for the owner and pounce upon him to tell him that the internet wants to know if his bike is any good but I probably won't. I like though.

Advertisement