Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pat(supermacs) on Joe.ie....shut up and do your bit for Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Cianos wrote: »
    Okay so! Unless you're arguing that the % of migrants in the workforce should be the same as the % of migrants in the overall population, then I think we're in agreement!

So migrants should be sacked to balance things out for Irish people. A bit PC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

fontanalis wrote: »
    So migrants should be sacked to balance things out for Irish people. A bit PC?

No, that's basically what I thought Amhran Nua was suggesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    I've actually lost track of the point here, but I suspect we're talking about the same thing.

Only anecdotes sadly, but I've been working with immigrant communities for a while now. It goes like this: McDonalds legally needs to advertise new job openings to ensure they cannot be filled by Irish or EU nationals, so they put up ads looking for people with ten years managerial experience in McDonalds for a shade over minimum wage. This due diligence done (and naturally no takers), they just transfer one of their staff from outside the EU, who is only delighted to get the opportunity, at least until he finds out how much it costs to live here, and that he can't change jobs.

The problem arises with visas which are tied to one employer, or it used to arise, I'm not sure that this hasn't been remedied recently.

Would you have an example online of one of these job advertisements?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

K-9 wrote: »
    Would you have an example online of one of these job advertisements?
    Nope, as I mentioned I'm fairly sure the law has been amended to fix that problem. You can readily find links to most of the rest of the stuff I was talking about if you do a quick google however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Nope, as I mentioned I'm fairly sure the law has been amended to fix that problem. You can readily find links to most of the rest of the stuff I was talking about if you do a quick google however.

From the Citizens Information Board:

*Employers or employees can apply for work permits. However, there must be an offer of employment on the table.

*Employees must stay with the original employer for the first 12 months. If they change jobs, they need to have an offer of employment in hand.

However, one way around the work permit rules for non-EU nationals is to enter Ireland as a student, and then pick up work for 20 hours/week or full time during school holidays. From what I have heard, there is a LOT of abuse of this program, in particular from people who enroll in ESL programs. I think this is where a lot of the non-EU aervice industry workforce comes from...not to mention that those who work in the "ethnic economy" often do so off the books, so they end up working 20 hours/week officially and an additional 20-40 hours/week for cash in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Never doubted the others, that's why I never asked.

Mad they could get away with that, at least it's changed I suppose. There's always going to be some employers out there ready and willing to exploit loopholes, shame.

Anyway, I though foreign nationals were losing jobs at a quicker rate than Irish nationals though that may have changed over the last year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Lads, Lads and Ladies.....my point is Pat McDonagh is waffling on about the problems on the country and who is to blame, and bad money management....he's not doing much to help is he?

There he is a huge employer, who is doing very little for the country himself, he's not the type of person Ireland should be proud of...he's making a fortune and not doing too much for Irish employment is he? Ask yourself 'What is the local Supermacs doing for your town's unemployment of young Irish' and I know there are plenty of young Irish people that would work there, students, evening, weekend and part-time work for 16 to 18 yr olds, people taking a year out from college, summer jobs, etc, remember the type of people that worked there before the mass influx of non-nationals...supermacs did not just pop up in the last 6 yrs.

I would work there if I was unemployed, and needed to keep a roof over my kids heads

And in the end whats wrong with a pro-rata employment policy?

Doom wrote: »
    Lads, Lads and Ladies.....my point is Pat McDonagh is waffling on about the problems on the country and who is to blame, and bad money management....he's not doing much to help is he?

This man owns a business and his job is to make money. What does being Irish have to do with it?

Why are you pointing the finger at employers and not the government who got the country into this mess in the first place?
    There he is a huge employer, who is doing very little for the country himself, he's not the type of person Ireland should be proud of...he's making a fortune and not doing too much for Irish employment is he?...And in the end whats wrong with a pro-rata employment policy?

I'm sick of this "Irish employment" ****. Regardless of a worker's nationality, taxes are taken out of their paycheck. They pay rent. They buy food. Having workers helps the Irish economy, even if not all of those workers are Irish. My landlady about started crying when I told her I was not renewing my lease; she knows it will be damn hard to find a new renter in this economy. Incidentally I had to leave because I am not a EEA national and I could not get a visa extension. Ironically, my income was from the US, so I was not "taking" an Irish worker's job, just paying a ****load of rent and VAT. Oh well; sunnier, less picky shores awaited.

BTW, Ireland does have workplace limits on foreign workers - foreign workers who are NOT EEA nationals. The law treats all EU workers equally when it comes to hiring procedures (with the exception of Romanians and Bulgarians).
    Ask yourself 'What is the local Supermacs the government doing for your town's unemployment of young Irish' besides talking ****e about turning corners and 'we are where we are'?

FYP

This man owns a business and his job is to make money. What does being Irish have to do with it?

Why are you pointing the finger at employers and not the government who got the country into this mess in the first place?

I'm sick of this "Irish employment" ****. Regardless of a worker's nationality, taxes are taken out of their paycheck. They pay rent. They buy food. Having workers helps the Irish economy, even if not all of those workers are Irish. My landlady about started crying when I told her I was not renewing my lease; she knows it will be damn hard to find a new renter in this economy. Incidentally I had to leave because I am not a EEA national and I could not get a visa extension. Ironically, my income was from the US, so I was not "taking" an Irish worker's job, just paying a ****load of rent and VAT. Oh well; sunnier, less picky shores awaited.

BTW, Ireland does have workplace limits on foreign workers - foreign workers who are NOT EEA nationals. The law treats all EU workers equally when it comes to hiring procedures (with the exception of Romanians and Bulgarians).

FYP

OK...bye
    You'll probably claim the tax you paid here back when you get home.....won't you

• Advertisement

OK...bye
    You'll probably claim the tax you paid here back when you get home.....won't you

If your posts are in any way indicative of the broader mindset among the wider Irish public, no wonder your government is totally ****ing the public up the ass taking the piss. Because clearly everything is somebody else's fault, especially the furriners. :rolleyes:

And no I will never get my tax back on all the bad overpriced restaurant meals I paid for...or any tax benefits for the rent I paid for my small musty studio. Just more in the pot for your elected leaders to fritter away on ridiculous expense claims, quangos, and sweet retirement packages...for themselves of course; god help the rest of yiz.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

...There he is a huge employer, who is doing very little for the country himself

Has anyone else spotted a flaw in this argument?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ever seen a poor chipper?

How many bags of chips do you get from a bag of potatoes revenue wise Pat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Pat(supermacs) on Joe.ie....shut up and do your bit for Ireland

Supermacs advertising people are Impact media.
    Impact media owns Joe.ie.
    Thanks everybody for doing their job for them.

Ps. Shut up, have some taco fries and do your bit for Irelands obesity problem.
    PPs. Joe.ie should be called slow.ie as it fuckin' crawls.....

marco_polo wrote: »
    Has anyone else spotted a flaw in this argument?

The flaw is that Supermacs is a HUGE employer of non-nationals, can you really deny that, if they where more fair in their employment of Irish to non-nationals workers he would be helping out the country more

The flaw is that Supermacs is a HUGE employer of non-nationals, can you really deny that, if they where more fair in their employment of Irish to non-nationals workers he would be helping out the country more

Why do you think he has an obligation to help the country and/or only hire Irish nationals?

• Advertisement

Why do you think he has an obligation to help the country and/or only hire Irish nationals?

Well he is on Joe.ie giving out about the guys running the country, why doesn't he as a businrss man do something to help, people who have made €85 million off the people of this country ARE obligated to help, READ my posts I never said Irish only I'm saying he should adopt a fairer employment ratio of Irish to non-nationals

Well he is on Joe.ie giving out about the guys running the country, why doesn't he as a businrss man do something to help, people who have made €85 million off the people of this country ARE obligated to help, READ my posts I never said Irish only I'm saying he should adopt a fairer employment ratio of Irish to non-nationals

You're acting like he took money out of people's paychecks. He provides a service that people are willing to day for (amazingly, since the food is dreadful). As long as he pays his taxes and follows the law, I don't see what other obligations he has.

I still do not understand why you are insisting he needs to do something rather than the people who DO take money out of your paycheck (the GOVERNMENT).

He should adopt a fairer employment ratio of Irish to non-nationals, and I hold people like him partly to blame too.....to sum it up Paddy Irish man is a greedy, small minded, self serving príck

He should adopt a fairer employment ratio of Irish to non-nationals, and I hold people like him partly to blame too.....to sum it up Paddy Irish man is a greedy, small minded, self serving príck

And how should companies set these ratios?

Should McDonalds only hire 80% Americans in Ireland since they are an American company?

Should Google only bring in American workers - or better yet, keep all of its offices in America?

You are missing the point of both 1) what companies are supposed to do, and 2) what governments are supposed to do. Not to mention the fact that, as I mentioned earlier, Ireland DOES have workplace restrictions on non-EEU staff.

Should McDonalds only hire 80% Americans in Ireland since they are an American company?

What a cráp comparison....:rolleyes:

Any way he's not a decent employer to his non-national staff either by far..

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs071/1102805358929/archive/1103302347485.html
    Protest at Supermac's Flagship Outlet in Galway

Friday, 16 April
    Start: 1:00pm End: 2:00pm
    Supermac's, Eyre Square, Galway

The Restaurant Workers Action Group, established by the Migrant Rights Centre Ireland, will be staging a protest this Friday, 16th April from 1 to 2pm at Supermac's flagship outlet in Eyre Square, Galway.

Supermac's is part of the Quick Service Food Alliance, an industry group mounting a legal challenge to the JLC (Joint Labour Committee) system which sets wages for the restaurant industry.

Although Supermac's saw its pre-tax profits quadruple last year, it is leading industry efforts in challenging wage protections for its workers, many of whom are already hit hard by the recession and are struggling to survive. Just this week, the Restaurant Association of Ireland renewed its call for a reduction in the national minimum wage and an abolition of the JLC.

For further information contact: Migrant Rights Centre of Ireland.

• Advertisement

And more....

Congress has said that calls for wage cuts by restaurant employers were hypocritical, given that the sector has the worst labour law compliance record. It was responding to calls by the Restaurant Association of Ireland (RAI) for a reduction in the minimum wage and agreed Joint Labour Committee (JLC) rates for the industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

smokey bacon burger. yum yum

So make up your mind, should he be exploiting foreign or Irish workers? :rolleyes:

And I cannot see why asking what kind of workers an American company like McDonald's should hire is any more ridiculous that making claims about what kind of workers an Irish company like Supermacs should hire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i have worked for this pat man,his views on running a company aren't very good for his workers which leads me to believe his views on running a country wouldn't be too good for the people.

excellent money maker,exceptional tool.

EDIT: not to mention he made four times his annual turnover from the year previous and still owes me over 1000 euro in lost wages
    and my uniform rental that came to 350 when i left and never saw a bit back,most expensive piece of clothing i have ever bought and got taken back off me

Advertisement