Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Control Question

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Good work!

Steering next I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

coolwings wrote: »
    Steering next I presume?

Yes its working out well, modified the circuit a couple of times so all seems well with it now so its steering next alright,
    The original forward-reverse and 2 speed is done with a special switch which the gear stick is attached to, so it was just a matter of
    coming up with a way of doing it with relays, 12v car relays i used. 40 amp contacts in them. Ideal.

I will use a servo setup like the one in post #21, should work well with that as its a powerful one.

The dx5e radio will need a slight mod as well, i will put a 3 position switch onto it for the reverse-forward-forward speed2 selection. The 5th channel on it only has a 2 position selector. Probably use the elevator pot wiring onto the 3 position switch as elevator control stick wont be needed for the tractor.

Update to tractor RC conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Well done Robbie...
    You will need to add traction control though :D

• Advertisement

syl77 wrote: »
    Well done Robbie...

Yes the lad sitting on it might help with that:)

It actually drives exactly as it would out of the box, except car relays now switching on the motors instead of the foot pedal.

That's a good job Robbie. A sort of one-off project.
    I'll bet you enjoyed figuring it out.

:)

That's a good job Robbie. A sort of one-off project.
    I'll bet you enjoyed figuring it out.

Yes it was an interesting one alright, just about done now, just put some fuses in to protect control circuit, and a relay so if the 5v power to the radio receiver is lost the tractor will stop. And tidy up the temporary wiring.

It was some crack converting the steering servo to have a potentiometer outside it instead of the one inside it (external pot goes on the big gear of the gear box as seen in post #21), i burnt out the voltage regulator when tested the servo. At first i thought it was the servo motor because i had a gear inside the servo not sitting right when i re-assembled it which jammed it. All working well now though.

syl77 wrote: »
    Well done Robbie...

Now you have me thinking. I might incorporate a brushed speed controller as well, for variable throttle, instead of the 2 fixed speeds it came with, but still have the 2 speed selection too for high and low. And see what happens.

Here it is with a brushed motor speed controller added to the setup. Just about finished now after receiving the steering servo etc last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

That's excellent well done. the speed controller seems to give it a nice gentle start too. It sounds like its re-gening the motor too which is good.

Top notch!

It looks much better with the variable throttle.

It looks much better with the variable throttle.

Yes the way i had it is the same way they come, 2 fixed speeds using series-parallel switching of the 2 motors on back wheels. I still have that but now with the brushed speed controller. So it has variable speed and dual speed. With 2 motors in series for lower speed, the motor on each back wheel acts like an electrical differential, slow one wheel and the other speeds up. So the low speed setting is better for manouvering etc.

I might post some photos of the steering setup later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mtierney5

One Happy Boy!!!

I'll try and get a video up later!

Thanks again Robbie, your a legend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

mtierney5 wrote: »
    He's loving it, fair play to Robbie for sorting it out. Now to hitch up the lawnmower on to the back of it!

Photos of the steering servo and linkages setup used for the tractor.

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

mtierney5 wrote: »

Great job he looks to be enjoying himself, I also have a disabled son and is just learning to use a joystick for a motorised wheelchair, it might be worth thinking about adding one for your son and let him drive and you could take over if he get's into trouble , he seems to have a lot more movement and awareness than my son and it would be a great way to get him started.
    Best of luck.

fergal.b wrote: »
    Great job he looks to be enjoying himself, I also have a disabled son and is just learning to use a joystick for a motorised wheelchair, it might be worth thinking about adding one for your son and let him drive and you could take over if he get's into trouble , he seems to have a lot more movement and awareness than my son and it would be a great way to get him started.
    Best of luck.

Oh ya! Never thought of that! Ummmm.... Oh robbie.....

• Advertisement

Now look what you started fergal:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Now look what you started fergal:D

Oooops sorry, But I am sure you love it, You do great work and I am sure you could make a living doing jobs like that for other kids. This is a video clip of my son on a moving base that his school had alone of they cost €5000 and it had to go back because of the cut-backs so he never got to use it again:( in the clip you can see the joystick or you can also use 4 buttons or get it adapted to any part of the body that the child has a bit of control over. just click the pic.
    th_MOV003881.jpg

Oooops sorry, But I am sure you love it, You do great work and I am sure you could make a living doing jobs like that for other kids. This is a video clip of my son on a moving base that his school had alone of they cost €5000 and it had to go back because of the cut-backs so he never got to use it again:( in the clip you can see the joystick or you can also use 4 buttons or get it adapted to any part of the body that the child has a bit of control over. just click the pic.

Yes we are talking about the joystick idea already now, its a great idea and i can see him looking into what we can do with it. That moving base would of been interesting to look at how they powered it, did you or they get to use it for any length of time?

It was only in the school for a week so not as much as we hoped. There is also a senor on it that can follow the strip on the floor, you can lay the strip around the house and the child just has to use forward and backwards and it won't hit off the walls as the child is learning.
    It had rechargeable batteries not sure what type.

Yes could be lead acid battery or the lithium ones, i use a lot of them myself in the electric rc aircraft.

Just an update on the tractor above, as i have it back to try fit an onboard joystick setup on it which can be used to drive it when a switch is switched on the radio. So with the switch one way the joystick on the tractor will operate it, and switch it the other way and the radio takes back over. Its like a sort of wireless buddy box setup

So for anyone interested here is what i did with it so far. Its an interesting one as it involves the putting together of some PWM generator circuits and a receiver operated switching circuit, which can be very handy for rc applications.

Plywood arm to fit joystick to.
    PICT0047.jpg

Frame to mount stick in, which will be a stick removed from an unused radio.
    PICT0051.jpg

Stick fitted to test. And a 9 pin D sub plug(casing not fitted yet) and socket used to make it easily removable.
    PICT0053.jpg

The main works of the setup, 2 PWM generators using 555 timer chips and a radio control switching setup which i put together on some vero board.
    PICT0054.jpg

The finished Joystick setup.
    PICT0061.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0058.jpg

Great work Robbie I'm sure he will get hours of fun out of it. I hope they post a video of him using it I love to see how he is getting on. If he hasn't got much dexterity in his hands it might help to drill a hole in a golf ball and put it on the joystick.
    Keep up the good work.

Great work Robbie I'm sure he will get hours of fun out of it. I hope they post a video of him using it I love to see how he is getting on. If he hasn't got much dexterity in his hands it might help to drill a hole in a golf ball and put it on the joystick.
    Keep up the good work.

Yes I think we have mentioned a golf ball alright when he was collecting the tractor. I left it as is for him to experiment with various items on top of the stick. He has a t shape piece on it at present, left free to spin, i think, to see how he gets on with it. I was just texting him, so im going to put a short video up that he has made. I might say to him about the golf ball again.

Worked out well anyway, radio has a switch now that can switch control from the radios 2 sticks to the tractors 1 stick, with leds on radio and tractor, which ever is in control is flashing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement