Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Crisis

Options
  • 14-10-2010 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm only in sixth year yet, but I'm torn between two courses.
    I was looking at Mobile communications and security. But at the open day the people i talked to were very uninspiring and I was very put off. I never got to attend the talk either for various reasons.
    Then I went to the Music, Media and performance talk and I was extremely impressed, I was on the fence about it because the word music, I'm more into video, but it was extremely impressive.
    Now , heres the problem, the Mobile Communications course is not as interesting anymore, but its a lot safer in terms of getting a job afterwards.
    The Music media and performance course looks very interesting however the jobs for it in this country would mean I would probably have a hard time getting work.
    I mentioned it to my parents and they seem to think the music media and performance course is a waste.
    I don't really care what they think though, but I'd like them to support me.
    Thoughts? ( I'd love some insight from people in these courses )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

As the saying goes do what makes YOU happy, not your parents. Afterall, its your future not theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Skill

First off, you're doing the right thing posting here, and I hope someone from one of the courses comes on to comment.

More basically, though - while you need to keep the career prospects in mind, of course, you really should as far as possible choose the degree that you will love. that's the one you'll shine at, and do better at, and from which you'll graduate with a decent honour. Then you'll be way more employable than if you have a mediocre degree in a different area

Second, a degree takes four years. If we look back four years to 2006, Ireland was really different. The degree of choice for a career then would have been something like civil engineering - guaranteed work in the then-booming construction sector. All. Gone. Now. So you really can't predict where the degree will take you.

Third, though, don't judge a degree by the enthusiasm or otherwise of the people on the stand. They might not even teach on the course. Get onto the website, check out exactly what modules (subjects) are taught in each year, and see how you think they would suit you. Email the course director if you want more information

And best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

OP, I wouldn't limit myself to one college. See if these courses are available elsewhere in the country. You might be more impressed with the presentation of the same course but in a different college. There may also be the option to combine the two elsewhere or to do general entry and choose after 1st year. You've plenty of time to do your research anyway. Take your time and don't rule out the option of taking a year out to make up your mind. I actually believe it should be compulsory to take a year out before going to college.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

I'd love some insight from people in these courses )

I am currently in a second year Mobile Comms student and I have a few tips for you...

This link is module Summary for Mobile Comms. Essential you read it.
    http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/824284323.pdf

This link is module summary for Music, Media and Performance Technology. Again read it !
    http://www.csis.ul.ie/course/LM114/

These courses are under different departments, Mobile Comms is under the engineering department (even though its a BSc NOT a BE) and MMPT is under the computer science department. This fact should intuitively tell you that in Mobile Comms modules will be a mixture of hardware and software computer related modules. MMPT would be mainly digital audio/video software orientated and some hardware modules too.

Eg. In Mobile Comms you do a Digital Electronics (basicly digital circuitry) module in year 1 semester 1. In MMPT you don't do that module until year 2 semester 1 as its not as essential to know it in that course.

Mobile Comms shares year 1 with BSc in Electronics so half the modules are electronics orientated and the other half are Mobile Comms related. So bear in mind for 1st year you will have to put up with that. It's all very doable though so don't worry bout that.

In Mobile Comms you do Java programming for the first 2 years. Ask yourself is that something you would like to do? It was one of my favourite modules in 1st year mainly because of the lecturer, this year we have a new lecturer and I don't like his teaching methods so that makes Java tougher this year.

In Mobile Comms you do Science Maths in year 1. In MMPT you do technological maths. They are different. For me, science maths 1 was easy because we had a very good lecturer. Science math 2 went horribly wrong because we had a not so good lecturer (thats being kind).

Take into account the postgraduate opportunities as in four years time you might want to do a masters degree and choices for both courses are very different.

Mobile Comms postgraduate choices;
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Faculties/Science_%26_Engineering/Departments/Electronic_%26_Computer_Engineering/Courses

MMPT postgraduate choices;
    http://www.csis.ul.ie/postgraduate/

Just as a side note, my background before starting this course was I didn't enjoy most subjects in school as alot of the learning I felt was pointless and just memory based but my family business is computers which I have been working in since I was 12 so that helped me enormously for this course.

I guess the best way to describe Mobile Comms is its indepth. The stuff you do day to day on a computer has nothing to do with it. If you call using a computer the top layer, well Mobile Comms looks at all the layers underneath that and what makes everything tick.

It takes dedication and serious interest on your part if you have those two traits then you will love Mobile Comms. Thats what I had in my favour as I knew I had a natural interest and aptitude for this course. Thats the same question you must ask yourself.

I won't lie to you there were a few dropouts last year but thats what happens when you don't fully investigate the course you are entering.

I am not trying to deter you just incase thats how it is coming across, just want you to fully appreciate the content in the course.

If you are confused about anything I have said or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stupidly Naked

TheTownie wrote: »
    I am currently in a second year Mobile Comms student and I have a few tips for you...

This link is module Summary for Mobile Comms. Essential you read it.
    http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/824284323.pdf

This link is module summary for Music, Media and Performance Technology. Again read it !
    http://www.csis.ul.ie/course/LM114/

These courses are under different departments, Mobile Comms is under the engineering department (even though its a BSc NOT a BE) and MMPT is under the computer science department. This fact should intuitively tell you that in Mobile Comms modules will be a mixture of hardware and software computer related modules. MMPT would be mainly digital audio/video software orientated and some hardware modules too.

Eg. In Mobile Comms you do a Digital Electronics (basicly digital circuitry) module in year 1 semester 1. In MMPT you don't do that module until year 2 semester 1 as its not as essential to know it in that course.

Mobile Comms shares year 1 with BSc in Electronics so half the modules are electronics orientated and the other half are Mobile Comms related. So bear in mind for 1st year you will have to put up with that. It's all very doable though so don't worry bout that.

In Mobile Comms you do Java programming for the first 2 years. Ask yourself is that something you would like to do? It was one of my favourite modules in 1st year mainly because of the lecturer, this year we have a new lecturer and I don't like his teaching methods so that makes Java tougher this year.

In Mobile Comms you do Science Maths in year 1. In MMPT you do technological maths. They are different. For me, science maths 1 was easy because we had a very good lecturer. Science math 2 went horribly wrong because we had a not so good lecturer (thats being kind).

Take into account the postgraduate opportunities as in four years time you might want to do a masters degree and choices for both courses are very different.

Mobile Comms postgraduate choices;
    http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Faculties/Science_%26_Engineering/Departments/Electronic_%26_Computer_Engineering/Courses

MMPT postgraduate choices;
    http://www.csis.ul.ie/postgraduate/

Just as a side note, my background before starting this course was I didn't enjoy most subjects in school as alot of the learning I felt was pointless and just memory based but my family business is computers which I have been working in since I was 12 so that helped me enormously for this course.

I guess the best way to describe Mobile Comms is its indepth. The stuff you do day to day on a computer has nothing to do with it. If you call using a computer the top layer, well Mobile Comms looks at all the layers underneath that and what makes everything tick.

It takes dedication and serious interest on your part if you have those two traits then you will love Mobile Comms. Thats what I had in my favour as I knew I had a natural interest and aptitude for this course. Thats the same question you must ask yourself.

I won't lie to you there were a few dropouts last year but thats what happens when you don't fully investigate the course you are entering.

I am not trying to deter you just incase thats how it is coming across, just want you to fully appreciate the content in the course.

If you are confused about anything I have said or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask. :D

Thanks a million man. I really like computers but I think I prefer the media part of it more than the systems parts. I still like it though, Ive had many stints in programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Also iirc theres a basic computing foundation with the MMPT degree right? I mean from what I heard the music part of it is the smallest part..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

I'm currently studying MMPT. Check out this page : http://www.csis.ul.ie/currentcourse/LM114/

As you can see, 2nd Year brings Digital Video Fundamentals and then in the second semester you'll deal with Applied Digital Video.

3rd Year you can do your Co-Op Education working with video if you like and then in the second semester of 3rd Year you'll deal with Advanced Digital Video.

Then in your last year you can deal with video as your Final Year Project if you'd like.

I would warn you that 1st year is a good bit of maths and Java programming and getting the basics of everything. I am currently a 1st year but so far I'm loving the course.

Every lecture brings something interesting new to the table. If you are any way interested in media technologies ( audio and video ), you will enjoy the course too.

Advertisement