Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is tap water safe?

• 14-10-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Does anyone else drink the tap water in Ennis? I gave up buying bottled water about a year ago because I believed we had got a state of the art water treatment plant. Now I hear warnings to boil the water for consumption. Why the warnings....will they ever get it right?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's no boil notice for Ennis water at the moment. You might be thinking of the one for Ballyvaughan:

Link: Partial boil notice to remain in place on the Ballyvaughan public water supply

I drink the Ennis tap water regularly. I filter it, but just because it's so full of limescale. No health risk in that, I just don't like the taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I was living in Ennis for 6 months from January of this year, always drank it from the tap. It's not the most pleasant, but I haven't grown an extra limb or anything. Everyone I know up there drinks it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I heard the water is fine now, a friend got a leaflet with the post saying it was safe to drink. Not completely sure as this was ages ago.

Should contact the town council water section maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I've been drinking the water from the tap for ages now, it's grand. Nice not having to go to Aldi to buy the 5L bottles now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Bottled water isn't exactly the healthiest thing ever anyway. Giving something a shelf life of a couple of years doesn't make it better for you. Yet I still have friends lugging huge containers of it from Lidl every week.

On the other hand trusting Clare Co. Council with your health and well being can't be a good policy. I don't know where I stand on this to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Bottled water isn't exactly the healthiest thing ever anyway. Giving something a shelf life of a couple of years doesn't make it better for you. Yet I still have friends lugging huge containers of it from Lidl every week.

On the other hand trusting Clare Co. Council with your health and well being can't be a good policy. I don't know where I stand on this to be honest.
    Clare CC couldn't run a piss up in a brewery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 benix1

i am in kilrush a co.clare and friend lives in ennis tap water same here and in ennis taste's bad but not bad for you :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

benix1 wrote: »
    i am in kilrush a co.clare and friend lives in ennis tap water same here and in ennis taste's bad but not bad for you :D:D:D

I think the reason tap water often tastes bad is because of the amount of chlorine which is added, I think I'm correct in saying that the amount is graduated according to how much bacteria is present, the more bacteria - the more chlorine is added. But, I believe there is a limit because it (chlorine) is carcinogenic! Some days, I've not been able to drink the tap water in Miltown Malbay because of the chlorine present, there is so much that you can actually smell it - it smells like a chemically treated swimming pool! I've noticed the same thing in other places too including Ennis (although this was before the new treatment plant was up & running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

A few years ago when we were on the full-time boil notice for like two years I read that the Tipperary CC had setup a deal with Tipperary Water to send a bottle of water to Africa in an area where the water was un-drinkable for every five bottles sold.

I petitioned the Tipperary CC to send a bottle to the people of Clare as well, since we were in the same situation sure.

They were amused, but alas, didn't grant my request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Plus you've got fluoride in the tap water which has been shown to make the population docile and more open to manipulation.

I'm guessing Fianna Fail TD's have a very close relationship with the people at our water treatment facility.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

CptSternn wrote: »
    A few years ago when we were on the full-time boil notice for like two years I read that the Tipperary CC had setup a deal with Tipperary Water to send a bottle of water to Africa in an area where the water was un-drinkable for every five bottles sold.

I petitioned the Tipperary CC to send a bottle to the people of Clare as well, since we were in the same situation sure.

They were amused, but alas, didn't grant my request.
    :D:D:D:D
    Nice one captain!!

Advertisement