Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting flash manually

• 14-10-2010 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭

I've been using radio poppers a while now with off-camera flash, and I have been challenging myself to get the flash power setting right the first time, without using the distance scale.
    Here is my current MO.

At 50mm f/1.4 the flash has a range of 30 metres at ISO 100. The GN therefore is 42.

If I want to shoot at f/4, and the subject is say 2 metres away from the flash ( still at ISO 100) then I set the flash zoom at 50 mm and I know the GN I need is 8.

Unfortunately the manual power settings are 1/2, 1/4, 1/16th etc. To me, it would make so much more sense if you could just dial in a GN instead of a power level.

So now I have to do some math. 8/42 = 1/5 approx. Because of the inverse square law, I therefore need 1/25th power. This is pretty close to 1/32, so that is my starting point.

This actually works reasonably well, it gets me to within a stop of where I need to be, depending on if I am bouncing the flash, etc. but I am wondering - is there an easier way to do it?

Thanks,

FoxT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Easier - Trial and error
    After a few weeks (months!) practice I can now get it with 80-90% of what i'm after 1st time.

the tried to look into the inverse square law.....i kinda get it but can't be bother with it TBH!

Advertisement