Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual awards

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I did check the Awards forum and last thread was 2008 so not updated since I last checked.

Just wondering.....it's October now so when do we start organizing and selected threads and posters for annual awards?
    Possibly not until Jan or Feb 2011 and that's fine

I've searched for an answer on boards and cannot find a recent thread so asking in feedback.

Me? Feekey Magee in After Hours has got my vote, thread of the year :cool:
    I think my grinds teacher fancies me

However, I'm not a mod or admin, I respect any decision handed down, it's a genuine question.
    Over the next few months will annual thread awards be organized? I'll help out if I can but really, the mods and admins can handle this easily
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I was wondering this myself recently. I'm not even here a year so i've never seen it being done-has it been scrapped or will there be more awards in the future?
    Personally i think it's a great idea, but i would imagine there is a fair deal of work that has to go into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

SOTS for poster of the year? He did get us all talking.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Dav used to do all the organising for the Boards Awards each year and the awards would be presented at the site-wide Christmas Beers (and a sterling job he did of it too :D). This worked when boards was smaller and people would tend to post in many different fora, thus making some usernames instantly recognizable to the whole community. But now that so many of the fora have grown a lot of bigger ones are like their own individual communities - someone who might be a really big deal in one forum will be totally alien to people in another forum. So now the various forums tend to have their own "in-forum" awards if there's a want/need/demand for it. Quite a few forums do that now afaik.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

An anagram of annual awards is anal anus draw.
    Terry for mod of the year.
    That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

After the last Awards I got nothing but grief from people who decided they didn't like being referred to as Muppets when they were nominated for Muppet of the Year and tbh, let's call a spade a spade. If you even get nominated for that, then it's not us, it's you.

However, the site Awards is in the same position as the site Beers - it's too big to manage and too difficult to accomodate for such a diverse group of people, so it's unlikely they'll return.

So I would suggest that (as a lot of forums are already doing), you have your own Awards on whichever forums you're a part of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We had our own awards in the C&H forum last year. We named them The Jizzler Awards in honour of a one-post-wonder who was banned after asking us where he could find him some MILFs. The "Best Beard" award was shared by a doppleganger for ZZ Top and a 14 year old girl, while two male moderators shared the "Should Be a Couple" award. We had a fortnight of fun threads coming up with ideas for awards and for nominees, and then had individual threads with polls for each awards. One of the lads designed a load of sigs for the winners to receive as "trophies", and we had a big awards night when all the regulars logged in together.

It was silly, yes, but incredibly fun. :)
    We weren't in a position to organise a meet-up for it, so it was a fantastic alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I did check the Awards forum and last thread was 2008 so not updated since I last checked.

Just wondering.....it's October now so when do we start organizing and selected threads and posters for annual awards?
    Possibly not until Jan or Feb 2011 and that's fine

I've searched for an answer on boards and cannot find a recent thread so asking in feedback.

Me? Feekey Magee in After Hours has got my vote, thread of the year :cool:
    I think my grinds teacher fancies me

However, I'm not a mod or admin, I respect any decision handed down, it's a genuine question.
    Over the next few months will annual thread awards be organized? I'll help out if I can but really, the mods and admins can handle this easily

After the 2007 awards there was quite a lot of controversy relating to the mod of the year award.

Ruu, a well deserving candidate, but nowhere near as good as me, won it.
    It was later revealed that the Smods (now Admins) had tampered with the results.

This resulted in people rioting after the award ceremony.

In 2008, I was given my long overdue award.
    There was a party held in my honour in a Dublin pub. So many people showed up, that the door staff had to turn people away and I had to greet my fans outside the venue.

When the time came for the 2009 awards, it was decided that all awards should be given to me without any voting taking place. This was done in order to prevent further destruction to property by my rabid fans.

As of 2009, all awards automatically go to me, apart from the muppet of the year award.
    That one automatically goes to Polmki as a tribute to Ruu, due to the amount of times he site banned Polmki accounts over the years.

You're welcome.

Advertisement