Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resetting the Rear Derailleur

• 14-10-2010 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

What's the proper procedure to reset the rear H&L derailleur screws? Just ensure they are 50% in and 50% out? Count the number of turns it takes to fully remove them (when they are fully in) and then reverse by half the number of turns?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

All you need to know...Link (credit to Lumen IIRC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When dealing with limit screws, try and get cable tension out of the equation first.

I usually first slacken off the cable completely e.g. shift into biggest sprocket at rear, click the shifter a few times to create some slack then pop the outer out of one of the cable stops. Then you can move the derailleur with your hand to check its range of movement is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

here is shimano's dura ace 7900 install video, shows you how they set the H and L limits

http://vimeo.com/5780736

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

FISMA, the “50%” approach that you describe is unlikely to yield a satisfactory result. It’s better to think about the purpose of the H&L screws and then adjust them to ensure that they are performing their respective functions correctly.

These are limit screws, designed to prevent the chain from being pushed off the largest (L – low gear) or smallest (H – high gear) rear sprockets and into your spokes or frame, respectively.

But at the same time, they must also allow the chain to shift cleanly onto these outer sprockets without any misalignment. Otherwise, the chain may run noisily and inefficiently in these gears or, if adjusted too conservatively, may not engage with them at all.

So getting the balance right requires fairly fine adjustment and this is why the 50% approach probably won’t work. The sprockets are mounted on the wheel, while the derailleur is mounted on the frame – the offset between them will vary from one bike to the next, depending on the particular components fitted and the frame. The adjustability provided by the limit screws allows you to compensate for this variation.

I think you may find this less laborious than my explanation:

http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur

BTW, you can disregard his closing comment on WD40 – “never use WD40 on any part of your bike”. He is out of his depth here. As all real cyclists know, one should regularly immerse one’s entire bicycle in a large vat of WD40. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

BTW, you can disregard his closing comment on WD40 – “never use WD40 on any part of your bike”. He is out of his depth here. As all real cyclists know, one should regularly immerse one’s entire bicycle in a large vat of WD40. :D

I practically do that :D

When I've cleaned my Titanium bike it gets WD40 sprayed all over it and then wiped down. Brings the frame up lovely :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement