Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freeze dried fruit

Options
  • 15-10-2010 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My son is crazy aboout the freeze dried fruit that you find in the special k red berries cereals. He will pick out the berries and ditch the flakes (granted at 2 years of age theres little reasoning with him).

I bought regular dried red berries but no joy :(. I think its the crunchy texture he loves. I checked out the H&B health food stores to little joy. Has any boardsie come accross freeze dried red berries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You could by a dehydrator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

a wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Supervalu in Churchtown sell tubs of them. They were in a display of tubs of all sorts of nice things, over the open freezer the last time I was there. Not cheap.

I like Tesco Strawberry crisp cereal, and I pick out the freeze dried fruit and let the kids have it. ( Correction - the kids make me do this and I pretend that its my choice, so I don't loose too much face)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

huskerdu wrote: »
    ( Correction - the kids make me do this and I pretend that its my choice, so I don't loose too much face)

:D LOL - I'm getting to that stage myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 markhumphrys

Dunnes Stores sell freeze dried strawberries in their store near Imaginosity - but they aren't cheap, something like €5 for a good sized tub (however many of the cereals with the freeze dried fruit in aren't that cheap either)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

A dehydrator won't make freeze dried fruit. Freeze dried fruit is made by driving the moisture out of frozen fruit by using very low pressures using a chamber vacuum machine. The low pressures cause the water to turn from solid (ice) into vapour without turning into a liquid first. So the original shape of the fruit is preserved. Look up lyosphilisation for all the blurb.

As for buying freeze dried fruit, www.Infusions4chefs.co.uk sell the Ferran & Albert lyo-sabores range in the UK, but its very expensive.

Advertisement