Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Access Windows7

Options
  • 15-10-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys im having a hard time trying to gain remote access to my main computer in my home. Whenever i try using remote desktop connection windows asks for security credentials and iv no idea what they are. I thought it might be my password for my laptop but it wasnt i also tried my desktop password and the homegroup password but nothing seems to work. Has anyone got this going before? There is even an option for me to make a new credentials password but windows isnt having any of it.

Also if i do get this working would it be possible for me to access files on my desktop from my laptop in college using their connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I thought RDP access only worked on certain versions of Win 7 (Pro, Enterprise, Ultimate). Are you using one of these versions?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions?wasRedirected=true

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

My desktop is running Windows 7 Ultimate and my laptop is running Windows 7 home premium. So maybe thats the problem. Seems strange to leave the program in there if i cant use it. Is there any software that does the same job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Home premium has the feature but they don't allow it by default.

Wink Wink look at
    http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/80044.aspx
    Works fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

steve_ wrote: »
    Hey guys im having a hard time trying to gain remote access to my main computer in my home. Whenever i try using remote desktop connection windows asks for security credentials and iv no idea what they are. I thought it might be my password for my laptop but it wasnt i also tried my desktop password and the homegroup password but nothing seems to work. Has anyone got this going before? There is even an option for me to make a new credentials password but windows isnt having any of it.

Also if i do get this working would it be possible for me to access files on my desktop from my laptop in college using their connection?

credentials required would be the hostname of your pc/ username and password e.g. steve-pc\USERX and password...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Whenever i try using remote desktop connection windows asks for security credentials and iv no idea what they are.
    That would be your own account name and password that you use to access the PC normally, but with the PC name in front like corkcomp said. Now, you might need to check the remote access settings on your home PC. make sure remote desktop is enabled for a start (which you probably have done) and also make sure you're part of the remote desktop users group.

actually, sorry, i'm assuming you have Win7. Whether you do or don't, I wouldn't recommend what you're at anyway. Sign up for LogMeIn, install the free version client on your home PC, make sure you allow it through any firewall settings. Then, when you're on any internet connection, go to the log me in site, install the firefox or whatever plugin, and voila! remote desktop.
    Yes. Use Dropbox or something similar. Hell, you could even set up a VPN tunnel to your home PC and access files through it. I think there's logmein hamatchi free, there's other free ones out there too. But if it's your own laptop, you could just sync the files with your PC and your laptop. Unless that's impracticle for other reasons.

You should note though, everything i've said will depend on network security and firewall settings in your college :cool: Chancy none of it will work, in which case you're back to figuring out your RDP problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement