Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

green cert fees

• 15-10-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Just wondering about the fees for the green cert!! I applied to do the 3 year course (3 winters) and they got back to me there at the start of the week!! its going to cost 500 euro which shocked me!!! im only nineteen and help on my uncles farm as he is a bachelor but due to his deterioting health i want to get more involved!! i work 3 days a week wit a plasterer but money ainted great and i have a loan to repay!! would the medical card cover the fees for the green cert or is there any type of grant???
    Please leave feedback as need to know asap as it is 1st come 1st serve with the waiting list so feedback would be much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

mantua wrote: »
    Just wondering about the fees for the green cert!! I applied to do the 3 year course (3 winters) and they got back to me there at the start of the week!! its going to cost 500 euro which shocked me!!! im only nineteen and help on my uncles farm as he is a bachelor but due to his deterioting health i want to get more involved!! i work 3 days a week wit a plasterer but money ainted great and i have a loan to repay!! would the medical card cover the fees for the green cert or is there any type of grant???
    Please leave feedback as need to know asap as it is 1st come 1st serve with the waiting list so feedback would be much appreciated!!!

Seems cheap to me. I did the online 180 hours course, it was a few years ago now, but from what I remember it was definitely over 1000euro...

And why on earth would the medical card cover the fees? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Seems cheap to me. I did the online 180 hours course, it was a few years ago now, but from what I remember it was definitely over 1000euro...

And why on earth would the medical card cover the fees? :confused:

I did the online course too - I think the 2 modules combined came to over €2000. €500 is cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

reilig wrote: »
    I did the online course too - I think the 2 modules combined came to over €2000. €500 is cheap!

1 month into the online course and yes it is €2100 from memory.

If only it was €500:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭proteuspal

Lads,
    I need some advice desperately. I emigrated to the UK when I was 18 and am now 24. Im going to inherit the family land (roughly 50 acres). Ive been told i need a green cert to avoid the stamp duty.
    My real problem is actually getting the qualification itself-I live and work full time in the UK, so how on earth can I get the qualification?
    Im not willing to give it all up and come home to study for a green cert??
    I find this whole thing completely ridiculous-what does any of it achieve for anyone apart from lining some institutions pockets. anyway, enough of a rant-does anyone have any advice??
    Your advice is really appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

mantua wrote: »

It costs about €2500. The €500 is just the deposit.

• Advertisement

Panic!!
    Lads,
    I need some advice desperately. I emigrated to the UK when I was 18 and am now 24. Im going to inherit the family land (roughly 50 acres). Ive been told i need a green cert to avoid the stamp duty.
    My real problem is actually getting the qualification itself-I live and work full time in the UK, so how on earth can I get the qualification?
    I find this whole thing completely ridiculous-what does any of it achieve for anyone apart from lining some institutions pockets. anyway, enough of a rant-does anyone have any advice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I'm guessing that you are settled in the UK now and have no intention of farming the land so I would say just pay the stamp duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

proteuspal wrote: »
    Panic!!
    Lads,

This could come across as smug and glib, but this is the reason for the measure. It is intended to encourage people to make an investment in their agricultural education in both time & money, as evidence of a commitment to farm the land.

Or pay the stamp duty.

LC

Thanks for your replies. I still cant see past the fact that I feel this all boils down to the government looking to get as much money from the situation as possible-they used to provide grants for this, now they charge you to do it. These measures just seem extreme with agriculture being the nuts and bolts of this country.
    I suppose Im no different and i realise that spending 2100EURO is working out alot cheaper than the stamp duty (Im under 35).
    I have no intention of farming the land in the short term, but when time comes to return home, I certainly had planned on farming the land as this is how I grew up. Can anyone see any way of me doing the green cert while resident outside Ireland?? I was considering this online option-I have a non agri degree which I think allows me to apply. I return home for about 6 weeks per year with access to farm for practical assignments. I will be speaking to Teagasc also, but I appreciate a variety of opinions and some experience from this situation. Is there any possibility for me to do the green cert in my current situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Starting it this autumn costing around 2300, 3 practical days on saturdays before year end
    17 days (weekday) for 2012, the rest is online, so if you could and were willing to get the dates for the practical end of it book your cheap flights in advance and take anual leave from your job for those days, it would be possible but hard work,
    I think you need to look into it more i read somewhere that from the end of this year there would be no relief anymore, and made me question why i was doing it, but i'm going to go ahead with it as i reckon it will come in handy in the future for grants or other tax reliefs in the future, say if the early retirement comes back again etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Panic!!
    Lads,

First point - As far as I know - Stamp duty is applicable on a transfer, NOT on inheritence (as in death) You mention inherit above... You might want to check this out...
    I have no intention of farming the land in the short term, but when time comes to return home, I certainly had planned on farming the land as this is how I grew up.

If it is a transfer - whats the rush now, you're 24. When are you planing to come home?
    I dont wish to offend, but why should you get a tax-break for what could essentially be a holiday home / retirement place for you :confused:
    Thanks for your replies. I still cant see past the fact that I feel this all boils down to the government looking to get as much money from the situation as possible-they used to provide grants for this, now they charge you to do it.

They used to provide a form of grant called "installation aid" But you had to be actively farming to get this, so you wouldnt have qualified anyway. Its not just free money cos "you came from a farm"... :(
    Can anyone see any way of me doing the green cert while resident outside Ireland?? I was considering this online option-I have a non agri degree which I think allows me to apply. I return home for about 6 weeks per year with access to farm for practical assignments. I will be speaking to Teagasc also, but I appreciate a variety of opinions and some experience from this situation. Is there any possibility for me to do the green cert in my current situation?

From what I hear - the online course take about 20+ days now (open to correction on the exact number) So its not as simple anymore... But maybe still do-able.. :confused:

Speak to Teagasc, they will tell you.

But - I find myself agreeing with what LostCovery said above. The relief is there to help young people start farming.

Advertisement