Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shipping an Exhibition

• 15-10-2010 4:21am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have contacts who could assist in packing and shipping a photography exhibition?

The exhibition is 76 photo's mounted in 20"x16" frames. These are currently in Dublin but may need to be sent to Australia. Originally it was planned to just send the Photo's and Mats but frames are expensive here in Australia so now plan to send them complete.

Shipping companies are not a big problem but having the whole lot securely packed is a bigger issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

tony there is a system called packaframe whis is very good

give me a shout i will point you in the right direction

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Thanks Steve. They look very interesting.

I presume that you would then strap a few boxes together for transit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've packed a few exhib's. Try get people you know in to do put everything together. It's worth calling in a few favors for.

Do it with more packing than you think you'll need, it's all well and good packing them at the start, but it's half way through the journey where they'll be f*cked about. Get photos of everything as they're packed too, so if anything goes wrong or missing along the way, you've a leg to stand on with the shipping company.

Will the price difference between buying the frames in Australia really be that big compared to the packing and shipping though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Will the price difference between buying the frames in Australia really be that big compared to the packing and shipping though?

I have been pricing up frames over here. The cheapest I can find is $50 per frame. So for 76 frames it's $3800 (€2700)

There also may be some money available to pack & ship the exhibition but it would not cover the purchase of frames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I work in the furniture business and could easily make you a solid box (holding all frames) to sit on a pallet. We make similar boxes if sending expensive machine parts abroad for repair and it has always worked perfect. I don’t know how this way would compare price wise to sending individual parcels but it would be so much more secure.

• Advertisement

oh what i was suggesting was using the packaframes within a big box or couple of boxes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm in a packaging company and we have bubble etc.
    I also have foam edging which would be ideal for the frame corners. That and a big wooden crate from my neighbour and you're sorted!

http://www.discountpackaging.ie/FoamCat.aspx?SID=1&Category_ID=161

be exceptionally careful how they are packed

they are going to get bounced so they need to be done right

Another option which might make sense

take the glass out of all the frames and ship it separately

or just get glass cut over there

then shipping isnt as much of an issue

the other thing to be awate of most shippers insurance does not cover glass

• Registered Users Posts: 25 monosnaps

I would call one of the main galleries who do this on a regular basis, I would suggest IMMA to you. I'm sure they would put you in contact with an experienced staff member who would advise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I can give you a hand, but shipping it without the glass seems like a good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement