Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OK its hotting up in Eire even in your face on the motorways of Eire

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

seannash wrote: »
    As has been pointed out your facebook page says a peaceful protest.

What will this protest do?
    Everyone knows about this issue so its not for raising awareness.
    If you wanna make a change why not run for election or something.

Also the hinted promise of violence doesnt get me all misty eyed.
    If thats the sort of thing you want i hope your protest fails miserably

It will be a step towards unifying this deeply divided country. The more people who protest, the more others will feel they should so something as well. Apathy has allowed corruption to run rampant in this country. Demonstrations show that it's the people of this country who really hold the power, not the government and their millionaire benefactors.

Also, I will be at this protest along with a few friends and if we see anyone trying to turn it into a battle with the Gardaí we'll make a citizens arrest and hand you over to the nearest Garda. Don't even think about turning this demonstration into a riot.

As far as the original post, coin blanks are manufactured somewhere in Europe then sent to the various member states to be pressed or minted or whatever the terminology is. Each member state has their own variant of coins so it would be too difficult logistically to manufacture them all at one site. Really nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

It will be a step towards unifying this deeply divided country.
    This isnt an antagonisitic post but can you explain the divide.Im fairly sure everyone in the country is fed up with the goverment,where is the divide

The more people who protest, the more others will feel they should so something as well. Apathy has allowed corruption to run rampant in this country. Demonstrations show that it's the people of this country who really hold the power, not the government and their millionaire benefactors.

Cool,but i honestly dont think a protest holds any weight anymore.I think you time would be better spent getting yourself( or someone who the group feels is on the side of the people)in a position of power where they can actually make a difference
    Also, I will be at this protest along with a few friends and if we see anyone trying to turn it into a battle with the Gardaí we'll make a citizens arrest and hand you over to the nearest Garda. Don't even think about turning this demonstration into a riot.

good to see that there will be some mature and sensible people at it.

People seem to forget that people in the gardai are citizens of ireland too and are effected also.Totally pointless picking on someone who is doing there job,especially the ground troops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

i dont advocate any violence towards garda, some of whom are friends of mine and are also disgusted by the way this country is run.. but a peaceful protest has to make a lot of noise and a big statement of intent as to what the people want. theres no point turning up and and not making an impact and i dont mean smashing up the place either...

but a peaceful protest has to make a lot of noise and a big statement of intent as to what the people want.
    Cool id imagine that you guys will be shouting about corruption,we want change,the bankers should go to jail etc etc

These are all very valid points but this protest will do absolutely nothing to change any of this.

Do you think that the politicians not know they are corrupt or that the bankers dont know they were too greedy and ****ed up alot of people lives.

Im in no way defending them but this is the wrong sort of "action" to be taking.
    Like i said get one of your own in there

This isnt an antagonisitic post but can you explain the divide.Im fairly sure everyone in the country is fed up with the goverment,where is the divide

North vs south, east vs west, country vs city, FF vs FG, rich vs poor, educated vs working class, public sector vs private sector, there are so many divides I could go on and on.
    Cool,but i honestly dont think a protest holds any weight anymore.I think you time would be better spent getting yourself( or someone who the group feels is on the side of the people)in a position of power where they can actually make a difference

Sometimes potential leaders need encouragement to stand up for what they believe. A show of power in the form of a demonstration or protest may be what is needed. On the other side of that, a complete lack of protest only encourages a corrupt government to continue on down the same path. They just see that the Irish don't really care what happens in this country if we choose to just stay at home and say nothing.

These protests are not for the benefit of the government, but for the people who feel that they are the only ones who are outraged with what's going on in this country. It's a show of solidarity with our fellow citizens and a means to support each other in times of despair.

charlemont wrote: »
    i dont advocate any violence towards garda, some of whom are friends of mine and are also disgusted by the way this country is run.. but a peaceful protest has to make a lot of noise and a big statement of intent as to what the people want. theres no point turning up and and not making an impact and i dont mean smashing up the place either...

Ok, well I really don't know what you intend on doing but just be aware that there will be people there who won't hesitate to grab you by the scruff and drag you down to the Garda station if you start smashing things up. That includes breaking McDonald's/Starbucks windows and that sort or nonsense. That sort of action only invites the riot police to start cracking skulls and I will not stand by while a few angry kids take their frustration out on innocent windows.

If you want to smash things up then I suggest you hold your own demonstration where people will be aware of the possibility of violence and are given the opportunity to prepare accordingly. I do believe those kinds of protests are sometimes necessary but not at the expense of a well organized peaceful demonstration where there may be children, pregnant women or other vulnerable citizens present.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Cool id imagine that you guys will be shouting about corruption,we want change,the bankers should go to jail etc etc

These are all very valid points but this protest will do absolutely nothing to change any of this.

Do you think that the politicians not know they are corrupt or that the bankers dont know they were too greedy and ****ed up alot of people lives.

Im in no way defending them but this is the wrong sort of "action" to be taking.
    Like i said get one of your own in there

I don't get you at all. Why would you on the one hand promote the "democratic" solution and on the other try to discourage people from using their constitutional right to peaceful protest? The government are obviously in the pocket of the banksters, they proved as much by bailing out anglo for the sake of the financial houses from the tax payers pockets for generations. It's a shame the working class are so distracted and indifferent to politics and the new middle-class are scared to death of becoming working-class again. If we don't do something collectively we are going to go down in history as ignorant spineless pussy's incapable of getting off our fat arses who gave tacit aprooval to our country being fleeced. Our grandchildren will view us with contempt and they'll be right.

and btw it does pay to protest.
    Ireland must now pay more than Greece to borrow.
    Dublin has played by the book. It has taken pre-emptive steps to please the markets and the EU. It has done an IMF job without the IMF. Indeed, is has gone further than the IMF would have dared to go.
    It has imposed draconian austerity measures. The solidarity of the country has been remarkable. There have no riots, and no terrorist threats.

greece-strike.jpgProtesters attack riot police in Athens over harsh austerity measures

Yet as of today it is paying 5.48pc to borrow for ten years, or near 8pc in real terms once deflation is factored in. This is crippling and puts the country on an unsustainable debt trajectory if it lasts for long.
    Yet Greece is able to borrow from the EU at 5pc and from the IMF at a staggered rate far below that (still too high for the policy to work, but that is another matter). These were the terms of the €110bn joint bail-out.
    To add insult to injury Ireland is having SUBSIDIZE Greece to meet its share of the rescue fund.
    I am sure you can all see the absurdity of this. It has moral hazard written all over it, and shows what happens once a dysfunctional system twists itself into ever greater knots rather confronting the core issue.
    Yes, I know that the Irish and Greek maturities are different but the fact is that Greece has extracted better terms by letting matters get further out of hand.
    George Papandreou’s PASOK has benefitted from dilly-dallying on the first set of austerity measures, and – not to be too diplomatic about it – by insulting the Germans with demands for war reparations. Hotheads also set fire to downtown Athens and Thessaloniki, improving the effect.
    If I were Irish – (and I suppose in a sense I am: Sir John Parnell was my great, great, great grandfather) – I would be a little annoyed.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100007444/it-pays-to-riot-in-europe/

I don't get you at all. Why would you on the one hand promote the "democratic" solution and on the other try to discourage people from using their constitutional right to peaceful protest? The government are obviously in the pocket of the banksters, they proved as much by bailing out anglo for the sake of the financial houses from the tax payers pockets for generations. It's a shame the working class are so distracted and indifferent to politics and the new middle-class are scared to death of becoming working-class again. If we don't do something collectively we are going to go down in history as ignorant spineless pussy's incapable of getting off our fat arses who gave tacit aprooval to our country being fleeced. Our grandchildren will view us with contempt and they'll be right.

I was just trying to understand why people would protest and he gave me some valid reasons.

I honestly think that it wont change anything by protesting and the time would be better spent getting someone elected to represent them.

Your spouting stuff the whole country knows(the bankers have the goverment in there pockets etc)and tarring every working class person as someone who is distracted and indifferent.

Ill admit i really really hate debating politics.I honestly dont have any interest in it to be perfectly honest but as i said i was curious as to why people choose to go down this route instead of focusing there efforts on doing something that will,in my opinion,result in something actually being done

To be honest I dont agree with the divides that are listed above either
    Alot of them dont exist anymore(i mean east versus west,c'mon)

Im not gonna get into the whole constitutional right ****e as it also bores me to tears when people start down that train of debate.

As for my grandchildren i dont think the history of ireland will reflect the opinion of me the same way i dont think everyone from northern ireland is in the IRA or willing to go on a hunger strike at the drop of a hat.

I also dont get some of your views BB but i allow you to express them on here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Revolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_Slobodan_Milo%C5%A1evi%C4%87

thats the type of thing we need here i presume Pancho Villa wants us to bring tea and sandwiches and have a sing song....

by the way senor Villa, if you want to talk down on me (someone you dont even know) and make threats about things i have no intention of doing, i suggest you should make yourself known and say these things to my face...

i understand where your coming from though, but you dont have to be so antagonistic about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

and btw it does pay to protest.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100007444/it-pays-to-riot-in-europe/

That guy should read up on what the Greeks have had to endure.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

charlemont wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Revolution

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_Slobodan_Milo%C5%A1evi%C4%87

thats the type of thing we need here i presume Pancho Villa wants us to bring tea and sandwiches and have a sing song....

by the way senor Villa, if you want to talk down on me (someone you dont even know) and make threats about things i have no intention of doing,
    Ok, first of all you're the one who was insinuating that this was not going to be a peaceful protest was it not? By the way, I attended the J18 protest in London back in '99. It literally took months to organize and was for the most part a peaceful demonstration. Some assholes decided they wanted to smash some things up and lots of innocent people got their heads cracked by riots police. I don't really want to see that happen again.
    i suggest you should make yourself known and say these things to my face...

Ok fine. I'll meet you behind the bike sheds after school and we'll settle this like men. :rolleyes: Gimme a break man, I'm too old to respond to crap like that.

i'll bring a 2 litre of cider for after the fight :D

sure if your that old then you should know better :p

ill bring a zimmer frame to the protest for you :rolleyes:

Ok, first of all you're the one who was insinuating that this was not going to be a peaceful protest was it not?

I was replying with sarcasm to a previous posters question, as anybody who has been on boards a while would be aware that most of these posts are full of crap talk...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Lads, no need for the rest of us to be reading your little arguments. Take it to PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

North vs south, east vs west, country vs city, FF vs FG, rich vs poor, educated vs working class, public sector vs private sector, there are so many divides I could go on and on.

So you want to unite FF and FG to sort the country?

where are these North /south/east/west divides and in what way are we divided?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

squod wrote: »
    You're telling me you've tried it and can prove what you say, or are you assuming as much?

No, I haven't tried it, it's my opinion that only an idiot would try something like this. If i were ever unfortunate enough to find myself in court, I think I would rather not bias the judges opinion of me by insisting I don't stand under him, as I am in fact not a person at all and therefore not subject to his puny mortal laws!
    It's barking mad nonsense, and I would hazzard a guess that it has never once been used succesfully in court, in any country in the civilised world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

the current government, completely incappable of organising a piss up in a brewery, are there by the democratic vote of the people...

some here mention getting the army to over throw the government

others peaceful protests to try to oust the government....

So the question is if we get rid of the current government, who takes their place?????? who runs the country??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

I am all for conspiracy theories and well even the most outlandish ones I am willing to entertain.

Having said that I mean wtf is the OP on about either he works for the government or he's <snip> while coming up with this theory.

I guess though its a theory afterall and well regardless it deserves to bebated.

<snip>

Advertisement