Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a dog alone all day?

Options
  • 15-10-2010 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

My wife has been banging on to me for ages about getting a dog. The issue I have with this is that we are both at work all day and not home until 5 -6pm each day.

My first thought on this is that a dog needs company during the day and it would be unfair to leave them alone all day.

I said I would ask the question from the experts here to see firstly am I correct and secondly if not what kind of bread may be OK on its own during the work day.

We have a large enough garden and could fork out for a kennel or something, if that helps with the responses. Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

murphym7 wrote: »
    My wife has been banging on to me for ages about getting a dog. The issue I have with this is that we are both at work all day and not home until 5 -6pm each day.

My first thought on this is that a dog needs company during the day and it would be unfair to leave them alone all day.

I said I would ask the question from the experts here to see firstly am I correct and secondly if not what kind of bread may be OK on its own during the work day.

We have a large enough garden and could fork out for a kennel or something, if that helps with the responses. Thanks for any feedback.

"Maybe" an older placid rescue dog.. "maybe" ... Not a puppy.

Any dog needs exercise and yes, your presence; we have to leave our two twice a week for several hours, always inside.

But the time scale you are looking at is?? heading for 12 hours each day and that is too long.

You mean to leave the dog outside all day also?

Not safe in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

ok, first off its not ideal leaving a dog at home all day, as you have already stated.. dogs are pack animals, they love company... any company...

In saying that the shelters are FULL of (fab) dogs looking for new homes and im sure you love to be given the oppertunity of joining your family... im sure most adult dogs wouldnt mind too much staying a day or two per week home alone...

second, i DEF wouldnt get a puppy and leave it all day, ts far to long, four hours is the max time a puppy should be left home alone and even thats not ideal.... they will suffer from terrible seperation aniexty and its not far on puppies... older dogs are waaaay more chilled out and mostly sleep all day!

have you consirderd getting two dogs?? they would be great company for eachother?? or have you considered a dog walker twice a week would break up the day for the dog?

on a side note where will your new dog be sleeping?? many shetlers wont adopt out any dogs that will be out door dogs ...

Personally I wouldn't get a dog - I'd get two. I wouldn't even consider having a single dog on their own all day, poor thing.
    We have an old lady and a 2 year old at home and they seem happy. They get walked in the morning before we leave and lots more walks at the weekends. They have their toys and bed and run around a bit, and each other for company.

And no, do not leave them outside all day. This weather is awful. Maybe some larger hairier dogs might be able to stand it a bit better but then large dogs on their own all day isn't a good one either.

Do you have time to walk them before you leave in the morning? That way they will be tired out when you're leaving.
    Or bring them for a long walk when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

It's not ideal but if you're really determined, I would get 2 older dogs, walk them in the morning and evening and keep them INSIDE for the day, please don't leave them outside for 12 hours, certainly not in the winter. If your garden is 100% secure and safe so the dogs can't get out and someone can't get in, maybe on the warmer summer days IF they have shade and plenty of water bowls about the place. Would doggy day care or a dog walker coming to the house a couple of days a week be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I would ask your wife to consider this very very seriously. I really don't think it's fair to get a dog and then leave it on it's own for the majority of the week. If it's a puppy she wants then you can rule that out immediately, you will run into serious problems if you get a pup and leave it out the back for 12+ hours 5 days a week. If you are not convinced then put your foot down. To get a dog you both need to be realistic about the amount of responsibilty you will need to take on and be in agreement about it as you'll be doing if for the life of the dog which will be 10+ years.

Dogs are a huge commitment and they take up a lot of time. If you want to do anything spontaneous then you will need to consider the dog.

You work long hours and you will now need to get up even earlier to walk the dog - in all weathers. You need to allow time for feeding, grooming, training. You need to factor in time for cleaning up after the dog. When you come home you need to walk that dog again- in all weathers. It was freezing last winter. Would you be comfortable sitting in your office wondering about the dog in the yard?

Also what happens if you dog needs to see the vet during the week? It does happen so you need to be prepared. You also need to consider your neighbours. What if you get a dog that barks all day while you're gone? They won't be happy.

Would you think about getting a dog walker to come in during the day and take your dog out? That way at least they'd be getting some stimulation during the day, it would cut the number of hours on it's own and also would socalise it with other dogs.

Personally though I couldn't do it. When I got my girl (and I didn't choose to get her, she strayed into my yard and I never found her owners) I used to drive 10miles out of my way to leave her with my parents so I could go to work and then collect her on my way home as I couldn't leave her alone for 9+ hours a day and there was no walker in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Thanks a million for all your responces.

You have confirmed what I thought about the whole dog thing. I would love one too but I know it is very unfair.

Now just to show this thread to my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 to everything Toulouse said. I would love another dog personally but when you weigh up everything Toulouse has said it really isnt fair. Im out of the house all day and sometimes dont come back until very late evening,not ideal for a dog at all.You have GOT to think of the dogs needs and not just your own. They really are a fulltime committment and many people just dont think through the responsibilities and consequences of owning one. Would you consider getting a cat? They really are great fun but dont need the high maintenance dogs do.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

My brother leaves his dog alone for 11 hours 4 days a week. I recently asked him to leave the dog here with me for those four days a week but he didnt want that. I feel sorry for his dog because she is left in the kitchen alone with no toys to play with nor do they even leave a radio on in the background for her. I always have a radio left on for my bonny if I have to be away and she is never alone for more than two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Get an older dog from the pound. My dog lived to 18 and he was very chilled out for most of his life. He still loved his walks but was happy to just lie in bed when nobody was around. When he was young he had us around most of the day tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

murphym7 wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all your responces.

You have confirmed what I thought about the whole dog thing. I would love one too but I know it is very unfair.

Now just to show this thread to my wife!

Good luck!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I think it can be done but you need to think of the time commitment. I got a pup 6mths ago when I was off work.
    She is now 8mths old and I started a new job on Monday!

She is left outside during the day with access to a big, sheltered shed. We walk her in the morning before we leave for work. My OH is back at lunchtime for an hour. Then as soon as I get home in the evening (around 6) she is brought out for a walk and then into the house with us in front of the fire for the rest of the evening.
    I am also going to be dropping her to my mam's house one day a week where she has the company of my mam's dog who she loves.
    I suppose it is not ideal but she is showing no ill effects of being left for the 4hrs twice a day. She gets frozen kongs, toys that you put the food into and she rolls around to get it out and bones to keep her busy. Still trying to convince the OH that she needs a play mate :D:D

I do think it is doable but you need to commit a huge amount of time to making sure the dog gets quality attention when you are at home. Also when you sign up to getting a dog it has to be walked in ALL weather regardless of how tired you are after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

It can be done. I got my westie when he was an 8 week puppy. Had 2 weeks off work and then OH took the next week. After that, every day one would go to work early come home early, one would go later and we took turns coming home at lunch for a good few weeks. He always had loads of toys and I'd hide treats around the kitchen. Now he is 2 and has run of kitchen with loads of toys and treats as before but he's a lazy bugger, he's an indoor dog.

He spends the whole day in bed when we're not here. He's alone most days from 9.30 to 4.30 or 5. Every day we come home he's laid out in his bed sound asleep. I've asked the neighbours and he doesn't bother them during the day and seldom barks, if he does its at the cat or the odd bird. He has never suffered any signs of separation anxiety. He's a well-adjusted crazy Westie just like he should be. Maybe we're lucky because we put the work in at the beginning or maybe he is the world's laziest dog but I do believe it can be done.

Advertisement