Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween in Dublin

Options
  • 15-10-2010 8:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hello everyone!
    Can someone tell me what will be arranged for Halloween in Dublin? Not Parties but parades and similar events, please

Also, which are the main Halloween traditions in Ireland?
    Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

http://www.goireland.com/blog/article/halloween-in-dublin.html

Samhain Parade – 31st October 2009.

Each year on October 31st the people of Dublin and its visitors come together for the Annual Samhain Parade. Samhain meaning ‘Summer's end’ in Gaelic, is celebrated with a spectacular and colourful parade to mark the end of summer and the people are encouraged to dress up and join in the festivities. Spectators are treated to a splendid display of dancers, performers, monsters, ghosts, giants, goblins, witches and much more. The Parade will commence at Parnell Square and travel down to O’Connell Street, then onto Westmoreland Street and finally into Temple Bar where the parade will finish with an extravagant and colourful fireworks display.

Come and experience this fantastic parade and soak up the wonderful atmosphere that is sure to capture everyone’s imagination. The parade will commence at 7pm and is a ‘must see’ if you are in Dublin this Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

Hello everyone!
    Also, which are the main Halloween traditions in Ireland?
    Thanks
    :)

Let's see, I think the most Irish one we have is barm brack which is a kind of a curranty bread you'll see around the shops a lot over the next few weeks. It's baked with a ring stuck into the dough and the person who gets the slice with the ring in it is supposed to be the next one married. I SAY that but most people's reaction is "HA I GOT THE RING" and "Ow my tooth."

Bonfires which are I think illegal now but still happen everywhere, made of old furniture and a lot of petrol in an open space. Fireworks go hand in hand with them. And, of course, there's trick or treating fostered from America.

Trick or Treat originated with people begging for alms in the form of soul cakes or fruit on Hallowe’en. To some, these breads represented abundance and protection from bad luck. To others, receiving the cakes meant a soul was released from purgatory.

People sang a special song while seeking alms. This became a folk song, the “Heigh Ho Round,” which Peter, Paul and Mary lengthened and popularized in the 1960s.

when we were kids back in the 70's we sang have you any apples or nuts or a kick in the guts :D

It became an Irish custom to carve turnips or beets and place a lit candle in them. These symbolized souls of the dead or goblins that were set free from the dead. When the Irish immigrated to America, they found pumpkins were easier to carve and used them to make Jack-O-Lanterns.

Oh i remember craving out those turnips, it would take for ever and the smell of buring turnip -

LOL, actually i think i might start on my turnip tonight

OP, check out this link http://www.new-age.co.uk/celtic-festivals-samhain.htm

and a lot of petrol in an open space. Fireworks go hand in hand with them. And, of course, there's trick or treating fostered from America.

the irish brought the tradition to america - trick or treating is a custom going back to the Celts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Halloween began in Ireland, it was a Celtic holiday-we exported it everywhere else..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 frisbee!

is this parade happening this year? cant find times/info anywhere

frisbee! wrote: »
    is this parade happening this year? cant find times/info anywhere

lol apparently not, we went in to town for it but it was no where to be seen:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frisbee!

isnt it supposed to be on the actual day of halloween, like tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Theres a festival on at finglas leisure centre in finglas, fireworks, music etc.
    Will see if i can get a link and post up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Finglas have face painting in Clearwater 4-5pm then halloween Festival Night of Fun at the civic centre from 6pm. Some other stuff in the link. Might head to the Finglas one.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

oops,

Advertisement