Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbours above me

Options
  • 15-10-2010 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭

I live in an apartment and I have no issues with those below me but the people above me, I hear constantly. I have no issues with tv or parties or anything like that but I hear them constantly moving about, last night, it went on till about 11.30.

I know they are probably just walking about (may even walk in high heels or something) and moving a chair or something.

I am just really unsure whether to say something or even how to go about it? Part of me thinks, well its not parties so say nothing but the other part thinks I should say something and at least they would be aware of the issue..

Any ideas most welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Whats the point in saying anything? What can they do about it, if the only cause is walking around? Remain perfectly still at all times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I just thought maybe they could take it into consideration that is all. That is why I was in two minds about saying anything as I thought least they are not having all night parties or something..

Of course I don't expect them to remain fully still..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

maybe ask the person below you if they can hear you moving around the whole time, and if so approach the landlord or something?

theres not much they can do about it but you could suggest a drop in the rent, or they put down carpets / rugs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

wyndham wrote: »
    Whats the point in saying anything? What can they do about it, if the only cause is walking around? Remain perfectly still at all times?

Seriously... why did you even bother typing that response??? You've obviously not had to go through what angel01 is going through. I have and it's an absolute nightmare.

Angel01 - You have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your apartment, that should be enshrined in your "lease" that you would have gotten when you signed for your apartment. You need to check your lease and see what it says about "wooden floors" and whether or not they are allowed in your complex. If they're not, and your neighbour above you has them, then you are able to get them to remove them. Obviously nobody wants to go down this route but you might have to. You could contact the Management Company to check the rules, ask for advice and get them to implement what's in the lease.

However, there are also Building Regs that need to be adhered to and many apartment complexes that are built do not adhere to these standards and if your apartment block doesn't then you have recourse against the builder. You would need to get a sound test done to check this (costs more than a grand) but if your unit fails the test then you can sue the builders and have an open and shut case.

I know what you're going through and it's an utter nightmare and in many cases the transfer of noise between units has nothing to do with the eprson living above you but with the lack of Building Regs being adhered to when the unts were built.

Thing is I think there are wooden floors in the whole block. They own their apartment so not much hope of them leaving, I am renting but can't really afford to move :(

I previously did try to have a word, I knocked on the door, they didn't answer so I didn't try again, I think they are at work now (thus it is quiet!)

I don't want to seem unreasonable or anything like that and I know transfer of noise happens easier within apartments but the noises did carry on till around 11.30pm last night and I start work quite early during the week. I am not sure if it's a case of just putting up with it..

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    Thing is I think there are wooden floors in the whole block. They own their apartment so not much hope of them leaving, I am renting but can't really afford to move :(

I previously did try to have a word, I knocked on the door, they didn't answer so I didn't try again, I think they are at work now (thus it is quiet!)

I don't want to seem unreasonable or anything like that and I know transfer of noise happens easier within apartments but the noises did carry on till around 11.30pm last night and I start work quite early during the week. I am not sure if it's a case of just putting up with it..

A couple of things... you STILL have a right to peaceful enjoyment of the apartment - you sound like you're not having that at the moment.

It doesn't matter if the whole apartment block has wooden floors down, if they're causing a nuisance then that nuisance MUST be sorted - the people above you will have signed up to this when they bought their apartment, it will be in their lease with the Management Co.

It is up to the Management Co to ensure that the people above you conform to the rules they've signed up to. Contact Management Co/Managing Agents with your concerns and tell them that you want to resolve it amicably and you've tried to engage with your neighbours but you haven't yet been able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

The apartment above me has wooden floors in it (noty supposed to). There were a studenty type couple renting - never heard a peep from them. Then they moved out and the landlord moved in with his partner who is partial to her high heels. If Im in my bedroom and she walks above with the heels on it sounds like someone hammering on my ceiling. I popped in and explained it to them. I invited the guy down for a listen and she walked about in her heels. He was genuinely surprised at how loud it was. So, she no longer walks about in heels in the apartment - or at least not above the bedrooms. I didnt mention the chair scraping noise to them but I suspect they put something on the bottom of their chair legs because I no longer hear that either.

All in all - problem solved in a short conversation. I suggest you go and speak to your upstairs neighbours and bring one down to have a listen to what you are experiencing - most people are reasonable about these things. Im ground floor but if I wasnt and I thought my shoe noise was bothering my downstairs neighbours Id definitely not clack around in heels - Id just switch to soft soles in the apartment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

It is up to the Management Co to ensure that the people above you conform to the rules they've signed up to. Contact Management Co/Managing Agents with your concerns and tell them that you want to resolve it amicably and you've tried to engage with your neighbours but you haven't yet been able to.
    OP has no business contacting either the Management Co or their Managing Agent. As a tenant s/he can seek recourse / resolution either through the landlord, with whom OP has a contract, or via the PRTB.

OP maybe try contacting Threshold for advice but as it seems there's a mix of owner-occupiers and tenants in the same building it may be a bit complicated.

or try usernam123's eminently sensible solution above

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ask them politely to wear slippers/socks after say 10pm. Most people would probably do it. I would anyway

Thanks everyone, I will try and have a word with them. :)

• Advertisement

mathepac wrote: »
    OP has no business contacting either the Management Co or their Managing Agent. As a tenant s/he can seek recourse / resolution either through the landlord, with whom OP has a contract, or via the PRTB.

or try usernam123's eminently sensible solution above

I agree with all above, you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

My friend got a letter from her neighbours below asking could she stop walking around on her wooden floors in her high-healed shoes. First off she was really pee'd off they'd sent her a a letter and hadn't stopped by. Secondly she has carpets and doesn't wear high-healed shoes. So not much she could do about it. Go have a chat with them, ask can they hear the people above but don't be surprised if there's nothing to be done about it other than move.

Advertisement