Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seduction School Seminar & Bootcamp!

• 15-10-2010 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

anyone else see the adverts for this in the papers today? five hundred euros for a 3 day seminar to "learn how you can meet and attract the woman of your dreams"...Awsome! I would have thought spending half that amount of money in Coppers would have achieved the same thing. It claims to have a "team of dating coach experts" (man whores?), unless Hugh Heffner is there i aint buying a ticket! Should you expect advice like "Don't be sexist...biyatchs hate that sh1t" or other such gems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

watch Magnolia for what to expect from this type of "seminar".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'd expect a load of theories and little substance to be honest.
    For that type of money, I'd want one free to test out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The woman of me dreams....I don't want to be seen in public with that slut!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yup the PUA claptrap pyramid scheme has reached here.
    It's converts are so caught up in it and all the pussy they think they are going to get
    that they keep recruiting more people in and get told that if they work and train hard enough they do can one day own thier own franchise and be a god teaching men how to
    'get' women.

The stuff is so bad and they are such spammers that it's banned from PI and the gentleman's club. It's mostly American pop psychology and doesn't translate to here well. Fair enough some shy lad who is in his early 20s might get something out of it
    in terms of getting over the fear of approaching women and upping his confidence
    but for the most part the whole thing is sexist to both men and women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

How better could you spend the money... one five hundred euro hookerbot, or five hundred one euro hookerbots?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

this pick up artist stuff is REALLY creepy,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I had a friend who was rather enthusiastic about this kind of thing, and while I am certainly no ladies man, I didn't quite have the heart to tell him, the entire thing was most probably bull ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

anyone else see the adverts for this in the papers today? five hundred euros for a 3 day seminar to "learn how you can meet and attract the woman of your dreams"...Awsome! I would have thought spending half that amount of money in Coppers would have achieved the same thing. It claims to have a "team of dating coach experts" (man whores?), unless Hugh Heffner is there i aint buying a ticket! Should you expect advice like "Don't be sexist...biyatchs hate that sh1t" or other such gems?

No way. 10 Pints will cost you no more that 10% of that give or take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Scam artists of the highest order. OP you want to read some of this take a trip to your local library and you can probably get some PUA stuff for free. Still a lot of rubbish though, and anything that isn't rubbish should really be basic common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Are these the guys who were on Orla Barry's radio show a few weeks ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

orourkeda wrote: »
    No way. 10 Pints will cost you no more that 10% of that give or take.

...well my dream girl is Mary Harney, deffo need the the full 250 to get her drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

...well my dream girl is Mary Harney, deffo need the the full 250 to get her drunk.

Just take her to supermacs and let her write it up as a hired jet or something. It'll probably cost as much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Hugh Hefner's dating technique can be summed up as 'Yes I'm old, but I'm rich, so if you marry me, I may die soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It beggars belief that men would actually pay to learn how to simply talk to women.

stovelid wrote: »
    It beggars belief that men would actually pay to learn how to simply talk to women be a prat.

FYP. You can spot it a mile away. You are basically paying someone to teach you how to make a fool of yourself. If there were teaching guys how to simply talk to women there may be some benefit out of it for the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

stovelid wrote: »
    It beggars belief that men would actually pay to learn how to simply talk to women.

I can believe it. I used to be terrible at talking to women. Most of my female friends from abroad are shocked at how bad Irish men are at even asking a woman out for a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

i have this mental image of all these guys sitting at desks, taking notes...and a the Fonz standing there infront of them drawing boobies on a black board saying "when starting a conversation with a woman, don't stare at these"...i can't wait to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This PUA stuff seems to pop up a lot on here, is it really that common? I find it hard to believe there are that many people gullible enough to go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I have chimed in on this area before, hopefully not coming off as too sleazy at any time. I got into the whole PUA thing in a curious/light kind of way after reading Neil Strauss' "The game" back when I was 21 or so. I never did the creepy huge group meetup/plan of attack stuff or anything though. Moreso just used it when talking to girls one on one.

Bottom line - and probably to the upset of all the moral keyboard casanova's out there in inturrwebz land - the stuff actually does work if you're just trying to get ur hole, no matter what country you're in. It's popular for a reason. There is no such thing as prescribed one liners etc, that's the exact opposite of what is generally taught. They'll teach you to adopt your own style within the guidelines of how to treat women in a social setting, and how to knock them down a peg or two so you can actually talk to them without getting scowled at (welcome to Ireland).

I think people taking the "high road" in this area and ridiculing guys who practice PUA techniques (if even just casually, on their own) are gas because come 2am on a Saturday night - when they're frustrated chumps ringing the dancefloor with pint in hand, and have needed to get absolutely mouldy so they can even approach girls - they would give their right nut for a bit of structured and proven "game" technique. The other subset of the morality-brigade are usually women who really really don't like the idea that they're being played (the way they've played guys their whole life), and that men can actually be socially smarter than them.

That said, a solid bulk of the guys practicing this stuff are fairly dodgy, but it's just an extension of social intelligence with regard to chatting up girls. Some guys learn it growing up, some need to learn this stuff cause they caught on late. You're goin the complete wrong way about it if you're looking for a relationship from all this, you're attracting the wrong kinda girl. Ironically enough though, I originally ran some of this stuff on my beautiful long term girlfriend-to-be long before it got serious. I'm not so sure she would've noticed me without it, and she eventually grew to love me for a combination of personality and everything else.

FYI: The Mystery Method pretty much gave rise to the whole craze for anyone vaguely interested, it's probably moved on since then tho, long long time since I read anything...

consultech wrote: »
    .........and how to knock them down a peg or two so you can actually talk to them without getting scowled at (welcome to Ireland)....

Big red flashy warning signs. Relatively few women need to be "knocked down a peg or two" and any that do need are generally not worth the effort.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Big red flashy warning signs. Relatively few women need to be "knocked down a peg or two" and any that do need are generally not worth the effort.

Probably the wrong choice of words on my part in fairness: I'm basically describing "negging" though, if you're so inclined to look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Negging; manipulating women by tapping into their insecurities - lovely, nothing creepy about that at all. :confused:

If guys are so seriously emotionally retarded that they think women are some alien race that they can't approach or talk to and need some dodgy manipulative dupe to get someone of the opposite sex to look at them then perhaps they just need to talk to and get to know more women rather than shelling out 500 bucks to hear some Magnolia nonsense that turns basic common sense into how to give women the creeps.

Probably the wrong choice of words on my part in fairness: I'm basically describing "negging" though, if you're so inclined to look it up.

Here's a hint, it might work on some girls. The insecure ones. If that's what you are into exploiting go for it. I know a fella into all this crap, he goes for the same kind of girl every time.. it's laughable. You know what happens in the end? They leave him.

What's the difference between having a couple of pints for a bit of dutch courage to talk to women, and zoning in on a perceived weakness or insecurity they have to do the same? In the former you are making yourself feel better, in the latter you have to make someone else feel worse.. neither points to a particularly well adjusted male.

Just did, how can a backhanded compliment possibly be better received than a compliment? That makes no sense to me and sounds like a pretty mean way of chatting someone up.

kowloon wrote: »
    Just did, how can a backhanded compliment possibly be better received than a compliment? That makes no sense to me and sounds like a pretty mean way of chatting someone up.

I've seen it work tbh, but it really only has an effect on girls with serious pre-existing esteem issues.

Negging; manipulating women by tapping into their insecurities - lovely, nothing creepy about that at all. :confused:

If guys are so seriously emotionally retarded that they think women are some alien race that they can't approach or talk to and need some dodgy manipulative dupe to get someone of the opposite sex to look at them then perhaps they just need to talk to and get to know more women rather than shelling out 500 bucks to hear how to give women the creeps.

I agree. That's the ultimate best way.

Negging? Every guy who knows how to successfully score does this. It's just called negging in PUA circles. You've misunderstood the whole point of PUA techniques though: Anyone can talk to girls. Who needs to learn that? The techniques are just intended to give you a 1000% better chance of ending up balls-deep in one of the Assets models after you've "talked" to them.

Anyway, I'm coming off as some sort of exponant here: I'm not. I have my fair share of objections to the whole thing too, but there's some value in the teachings, when employed in an unstructured/non-creepy way. I just think it's funny when it's criticised by guys who aspire (all men aspire) to have a better "game".

I just think it's funny when it's criticised by guys who aspire (all men aspire) to have a better "game".

tbh it's usually criticised by guys who have a better game, and the lady to prove it.

It's not better received, that's the whole point.

...The techniques are just intended to give you a 1000% better chance of ending up balls-deep in one of the Assets models after you've "talked" to them.

:pac: Quality comedy. Keep it coming. I bet they taught you about 'leagues' as well.

• Advertisement

:pac: Quality comedy. Keep it coming. I bet they taught you about 'leagues' as well.

Anyway. My position in this thread is descending a little so I'll leave it there. I just wanted to give some "insider" insight from a guy who bought "The game", took an interest, read a few forums, and got his hole most weekends in his early 20's.

No, I wouldn't pay €500 to go to a seminar though OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm gonna have to stick my oar in here.

To all the people who say "JUST talk to women and be yourself and you'll be grand" thats absolutely useless to someone who is too nervous, too shy and has low self esteem. Thing is, lets face it, most of the time, people go to clubs or pubs to meet people. Its a fact of life. I met my OH in a pub. And when in pubs and clubs, and i'm stressing here, SOME women can be very brutal to stop men talking to them. Not necessarily to get their kicks from destroying guys but because they are sick of being harassed. But to a guy who's spent the last 6 months working up to talking to a girl and then getting told "get lost freak" within a few seconds, that'll probably be another 6 months before he recovers.

I'm not going to condone ALL the PUA practices, But some of the stuff in there is worth noticing, particularly the stuff aimed at your own self confidence. That stuff is good. It's good that guys that would like to talk to girls can finally talk to girls.

I agree alot of it is americanised and just won't work over here. But some of it does translate well, for example, in Ireland as a nation of people that like to take the piss and in general are uncomfortable with a barrage of compliments, a pisstake, or "neg" if you will, can go down better than a compliment.

There's going to be plenty of guys who are going to say "Freak, just go up and say Hi, its easy" but to a shy guy, thats a load of crap. It's not easy and what do you do after you say hi?

And don't get me started on the guys who say "ask if you can buy them a drink"....

EDIT: overall OP, I'd say don't pay for that, buy the book. If you can't get it from the book, the "boot camp" won't help either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I can think of better ways at spending my hard earned €500, seriously.

Sounds like a bunch of chancers rolling into town to fleece a number of gullible locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

while i refuse to spend any money on this stuff i was into it for a bit but i never had a huge problem in the first place so the effort vs reward wasnt really good enough for me and i have friends who are into it big time and i also know a couple 'coaches' and have been out with them all over the world at various times

the simple facts are that this **** works. if you dont like 'idea' of it thats fine and the big marketing hype is outlandish but its no worse then any other industries marketing. every other criticism of it made here is simple ignorance

girls dont like it cause they think its manipulation(its not, there are things you could learn to manipulate women into bed but they arent used by anyone in the community iv met) and guys dont like it cause they are too macho to buy into the self help thing(self help in any part of their lives not just women). girls say they could spot it a mile away thats also bull****

someone said it dosnt work over here, thats partly true it works far better in the states in clubs cause the girls there dont drink as much and dont have their bitchy walls up anywere near as much as they do here but in a pub or other more sober venue then the local cattle market club it works just fine

also in my and every other person i know whos tried it experience, the better looking the girl the better it works

theres a totally honest opinion from someone who has tried it and knows what its all about, call me a creep or a sleaze all you want because its not what you want to hear it is after hours after all but that dosnat change the fact its the truth and that all you outraged women may(god forbid) end up marrying someone who only had the balls to talk to you cause he looked into some of this stuff and you will never be the wiser :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Chloroform goes on rag. Rag goes on mouth.

It's not rocket science people.

humanji wrote: »
    Chloroform goes on rag. Rag goes on mouth.

It's not rocket science people.

excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's odd, but whenever these threads come up, the very people who decry PUA as creepy, transparent and only applicable in America are the ones who seem to fear it most.

If their techniques are so transparent and awful what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

PeakOutput wrote: »
    i have friends who are into it big time and :eek:

I have heard of this stuff in the States before but have never heard mention of it over here before. Is it popular over here too? Would be surprised if Irish guys bought into this. The US has a self-help for everything,

If you have money to spend on this stuff it would probably be better spent going to therapy to find out why you can't speak to women whatever/work on your own confidence

I know some people have found this works for them and that's great it all just sounds cringey to me though. I feel sorry for guys who are obviously not confident with women being seduced by this BS. They go on in turn and seduce women with confidence issues. Sounds like everyone is being fleeced.

Dr. Zeus wrote: »
    Sounds like everyone is being fleeced.

The condom companies make a mint!

This neg thing still has me confused.

Would people and the wildly varied ways in which they interact not be so varied as to make covering even a fraction of situations in a seminar impossible?

I imagine if you read any self-help book on increasing your confidence (without reference to women/sex) it would have the same effect as what these people claim.

I guess the marketing people know that men often judge themselves and are judged by how popular they are with women so they have really tapped into that insecurity. Something off about that for me.

• Advertisement

I have heard of this stuff in the States before but have never heard mention of it over here before. Is it popular over here too? Would be surprised if Irish guys bought into this. The US has a self-help for everything,

people know about it over here but not many are into it or admit to being into it
    If you have money to spend on this stuff it would probably be better spent going to therapy to find out why you can't speak to women whatever/work on your own confidence

i wouldnt advocate spending any money on it either cause i was skeptical and wouldnt spend any money on it so just found it all for free on the web
    I know some people have found this works for them and that's great it all just sounds cringey to me though. I feel sorry for guys who are obviously not confident with women being seduced by this BS. They go on in turn and seduce women with confidence issues. Sounds like everyone is being fleeced.

myself and my friends who are into werent the sit in the corner shy type before and im not now even though i dont use it they just wanted to see if it worked and it did. they went from being able to chat to girls when they wanted but not being totally sure if they were into them or if they would get their number or a second date whatever to being able to talk women whenever they wanted and being able to get a number or a second date or laid 80% + of the time

This neg thing still has me confused.

Best example I can think of is this (bear in mind, I've only read The Game which is a biography, not a manual, so I could be totally wrong).

You meet a girl at a party and decide to pay her a compliment:

"Hey, I really like your shoes".
    "Thanks".
    "I see a lot of girls wearing those these days".

That's it. That's all. You pay her a qualified compliment. You don't have to be bitchy or mean about it. You can do something stronger than that but it's not meant to be an insult or anything.
    Would people and the wildly varied ways in which they interact not be so varied as to make covering even a fraction of situations in a seminar impossible?

Everyone's a unique snowflake? There isn't that much difference between how a lot of people interact with each other.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    You meet a girl at a party and decide to pay her a compliment:

"Hey, I really like your shoes".
    "Thanks".
    "I see a lot of girls wearing those these days".

Ok am lost! So by the hint of an insult this girl is going to really want you because other she has common shoes according to you.

God, I would never try to chat up a girl by mentioning her shoes. Don't think I would even notice shoes.

I know you were just provding an example, I just think it's very contrived and fake but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The basic idea behind it is to strike up a conversation with someone who's probably been getting compliments all her life. You meet a very attractive girl, you tell her as much. She's probably heard the same thing a million times so smiles and says thanks and moves on. The Neg makes her stop and think twice so she will interact with you.

Thats the point. not trying to insult someone but coming up with a better opening line than "you look really pretty"

Ok am lost! So by the hint of an insult this girl is going to really want you because other she has common shoes according to you..

Just taking the shoes as an example..

Confident girl inner voice: 'Yeah whatever, they are fashionable shoes. Big MEH'

Girl with esteem issues: 'oh no, im common, I knew I wasn't special after all, he doesn't like that, he doesnt like me, what can I do to make him like me...etc etc'

Confident girl inner voice: 'Yeah whatever, they are fashionable shoes. Big MEH'

Girl with esteem issues: 'oh no, im common, I knew I wasn't special after all, he doesn't like that, he doesnt like me, what can I do to make him like me...etc etc'

it dosnt work like that but you keep believing whatever you want

PeakOutput wrote: »
    it dosnt work like that but you keep believing whatever you want

I've been watching it happen and discussing it with one of my best mates for nigh on 10 years now who is into this stuff. I know how it works, and he knows how it works. Every single girl he has 'picked up' this way that lasted any significant amount of time had esteem issues. Hardly coincidence, and I've seen him fail using it a lot more often than not.

RedXIV wrote: »
    The basic idea behind it is to strike up a conversation with someone who's probably been getting compliments all her life. You meet a very attractive girl, you tell her as much. She's probably heard the same thing a million times so smiles and says thanks and moves on. The Neg makes her stop and think twice so she will interact with you.

Thats the point. not trying to insult someone but coming up with a better opening line than "you look really pretty"

I don't get then why you wouldn't be more genuine and just say to the girl "I am sure you are sick of getting attention from guys, obviously you are attractive etc"and get her attention that way in a nicer manner, rather than taking out neg number 125 common shoe insult!

Ok am lost! So by the hint of an insult this girl is going to really want you because other she has common shoes according to you.

It's more along the lines of what RedXIV said; the point is that not all compliments need be fawning which is what a lot of guys with little experience interacting with women might think.
    God, I would never try to chat up a girl by mentioning her shoes. Don't think I would even notice shoes.

I know you were just provding an example, I just think it's very contrived and fake but each to their own.

Part of the idea is to converse with the person not just chat them up. If you know my example was just an example then why pick wholes in it?
    I've been watching it happen and discussing it with one of my best mates for nigh on 10 years now who is into this stuff. I know how it works, and he knows how it works. Every single girl he has 'picked up' this way that lasted any significant amount of time had esteem issues. Hardly coincidence, and I've seen him fail using it a lot more often than not.

I'm sure a lot of people do use it in this manner. Girls with low self esteem, indeed people with low self esteem, are always going to be exploited. PUAs didn't invent that I'm afraid.

Exactly...? Presumably 90% of the related social exchanges take place in settings such as nightclubs etc, which, by definition, are some of the fakest you can interact in?

The example Earthhorse gave stands to bring the girl down to earth, cause her to think (realise) that she isn't actually all that unique, and thus cause her to seek your validation and to prove that she is. It's nothing to do with shoes.

Next time you're about to say something like "I know you probably hear this all the time... but you're really beautiful", "You're probably tired of guys coming up to you all night", or "Can I buy you a drink" - Move on to the shoes :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement