Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Bike Shed

• 15-10-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

(I did a search and didn't find anything on the above topic).

I'm looking to build a bike shed - to store 4 bikes.
    I've done a bit of googling but couldn't find anything suitable (or free!)

Has anyone come across any plans that I could use?

Nothing too fancy - just to keep the rain out and deter thieves.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

whats your budget? where you want to built it.

could you make a shelter rather than a shed and set an achor in the ground on which you can lock the bikes to.

so basically replicate any bike locking frame with a wooden frame and a roof. you could buy a four posts. drive them into the ground. and then you could rip apart some pallets to form the walls and roof. then you could set some u bars into the ground with concrete surround which you could lock the bikes too. paint the outside then thats it.

will look rough . but will cost next to nothing. would be more of a shelter than a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Thanks Martron, I toyed with that idea but the wife wasn't impressed. She'd chain me to one of this u-bars if I put that in!

She wants something that looks reasonably tidy - and also something that young kids can't get into (and get tangled up in the bikes!).

I think a traditional wooden garden shed is more or less that I'm looking for, with a side opening rather than a front door opening.

Just found this (B&Q) - must try to see if they have them in their Irish stores...

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10086624

they look flimsy enough though - might bring a measuring tape and make a stronger one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

scargill wrote: »
    (I did a search and didn't find anything on the above topic).

I'm looking to build a bike shed - to store 4 bikes.
    I've done a bit of googling but couldn't find anything suitable (or free!)

Has anyone come across any plans that I could use?

Nothing too fancy - just to keep the rain out and deter thieves.

Thanks

You will easily get 4 bikes into a normal 8 x 6 wooden shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

It would not be hard to build a small lean-too shed .
    frame it with 3x2, plywood then clad with cheap ship lap. or even frame it and clad with quality 1/2 shiplap. no ply.

1/2 ply on the roof with a small roll of felt.

few hinges and a big bolt lock.

There is no way a thief is going to get through that with out an hour and a big chainsaw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

gsxr1 wrote: »
    There is no way a thief is going to get through that with out an hour and a big chainsaw.

Yeah,theres absolutely no way a thief would be able to get through shiplap wood and plywood with a crow bar or pry bar in under an hour.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

paddy147 wrote: »
    Yeah,theres absolutely no way a thief would be able to get through shiplap wood and plywood with a crow bar or pry bar in under an hour.;)

with you sleeping .

yeah
    with a crow bar you could get in anywhere in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

was looking for something similar early this year. Looked at a side-opening shed in B&Q but it looked like something cobbled together from broken pallets and that it would fall over at the first gust of wind. Ended up getting a Garden Store for E100 and putting some stuff out of the shed in there, freeing up space for bikes.

Advertisement