Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twins....!!!

Options
  • 15-10-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi everybody, just relocated myself from the ttc thread as I had an 8 week scan yesterday and all is looking well and good so I think it's about time I officially start thinking of myself as pregnant :P. Also we found out we're having two bundles of joy & not just one so I have lots of questions!!!

Firstly I am over the moon with the news. This is my first pregnancy so all a bit new, however my family is full of babies (lots of baby cousins, brothers & sisters) all of whom I minded on a regular basis so I am fairly familiar with what comes with caring for one baby ....but what do I expect with two :eek:???

I would love to hear if anybody has any experience of twins and what I can expect i.e the pregnancy, birth and whats to come afterwards (managing feeding them etc) Also will I need double of everything or are there some twin specific things I'll need to start budgeting for :rolleyes:. Oooo very exciting times :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

We're also in for double trouble!!! 12 weeks gone this weekend!
    Have also been looking into the 2 of everything!
    The item we are finding most problematic is a double buggy!! Tandem ones arent suitabel for 2 newborns and side by side ones wont fit through the front door!!!
    We're thinking they will sleep in one cot for the first while!...but plan to buy two cos that wont last long!!!
    I also thought this would be handy for downstairs sleeping during the day and for trips to grand parents houses :-)
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3671945&CAWELAID=363671129

• Registered Users Posts: 34 neillcm

I've found this website www.twinsuk.co.uk and they have a decent list of good twin buggies...even tandem ones suitable from birth... I'm loving the 'Jane Twin Two Matrix Tandem Travel System ' already. Pricey though :( . A side by side is just not for me...just too awkward. Maybe when they're bigger a small side-by-side stroller but not from birth anyway.The jane twin comes with two car seats that lie flat to make a carrycot. So.. the little ones can be strapped in the back either lying in their carrycot or as a carseat. Nifty Eh??!!

I was thinking the same about the cot too...my aunty has a really lovely one she was giving us anyway so even if I was to buy another it wouldn't match. They can snuggle up for the first few months, at least til Mammy & Daddy can afford two new ones.... The bassinet is also a great idea...another thing to add to the list :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Really shouldn't laugh, but this is so funny....glad i only have 1!

http://www.twinsuk.co.uk/products/100739/Turtle-Kiddy-Bus-6-seater/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Congratulations on the twinnies!!

Just with regards to the co-sleeping - I'm sure it'll be lovely to have them sleeping together but you might face some problems with separation when it comes to them having to sleep in their own cots later on. I haven' read anything about this but it was just my initial thought when I read the posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Congrats! I had twins 2.5 years ago, so it's been a while... and honestly, the first few months are very sleep deprived, so not sure I remember much ;)

During pregnancy, expect more scans and apointments than a singleton pregnancy. You are also more likely to have the babies early, and most doctors will not let you go past 38 or 39 weeks, maybe less if they are identical. Pack your bag early, around 24-26 weeks, in case there is complications nd because you wont feel up to it later (sorry, don't mean to be gloomy, but they are more likely with twins. I had a bleed at 28 weeks and husband dida mad dash to Dunnes forsupply as hospital kept me overnight. I ended up wearing a tent-like granny nighty!). You will get big sooner (duh!), and may need to finish work sooner than the usual two weeks prior to delivery, especially if you have a long commute or physical work/ need to stand a lot. I finished at 28 weeks, could probably have gone to 32 or 34 if I had a sit-down office job but my job invovled 12 hour shifts and a good bit of standing and walking. Check out the sickness policy at your work, I was lucky in that I had fully paid sick leave and then only had to go on maternity leave at 38 weeks (babies born at 39 weeks exactly, weighing 7.4 and 6.6 pounds). In terms of birth, you are more likely to have a c-section- about 60% of twins are born that way.

You cna breatsfeed twins, don't let them tell you you cannot, I did for 6 months and plenty of moms do longer, especially if not going back to work. If you want to co-sleep (great for night time feeding, and if you have a c-section, as less lifting), consider a bedside cot, such as the Arm's Reach co-sleeper.

Don't bother too much with outfits, vests and onsies are easier. Consider buying a load of second hand stuff, then you don't feel bad if you have to throw away a badly pooped one (sorry to be graphic!). Get two bouncers, a must! Also a good breastfeeding pillow if you plan on breastfeeding. Get all the help you can get- neighbours, family, church...

• Advertisement

Wow Silja thanks...it's great to hear from somebody with some twin experience although any comments are much appreciated!I'm gonna need all the help I can get ;);)

Although my two aren't identical i'll definitley be packing my bag early just to be sure!!I never would have thought of doing it as early as 24-26 weeks but now I know!! Luckily enough I've an office job so not on my feet too much mon-fri. As for the birth...if a c-section is the way things go then I'm happy with that, I kinda knew the chance of a section would be higher. I have no strong opinions on the birth...I just want my baba's out with the least stress and fuss and complications for them!

Unfortunatley I'm gonna have to think long and hard about breast feeding. With one I was definitley willing to give it a shot for a short time anyway.To be honest, when I first saw my two little ones on the scan that was the first thought that popped into my head (after the overwhelming feeling of happiness obviously :D) - how do I feed both of these together??? I'm gonna need bigger boobs and longer arms ;). But there are also medical reasons (long story won't go into it here...) why I wouldn't/shouldn't breastfeed for an extended period. I'm gonna have to have a long talk with my consultant on that one. Did you ever bottlefeed your two when they were small? I'm gonna have to get my head around holding both of them for their bottles!!Again the need for longer/possibly a third arm comes to mind!! I wonder would the breast feeding pillow help for bottle feeding???

Hopefully, due to the baby boom in my family I should have a lot of baby clothes coming my way (when I break the news in 4 weeks time that is) so that should help with the clothes expense. But should I need anymore I'll look into maybe topping up with some second-hand bits and pieces. As this is my first pregnancy though I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of uncontrolled impulse buying of baby clothes too!!!

Crazy Cat Lady- I kinda thought about that myself too....I was thinking of starting them off side by side, for a short time then maybe end to end so they're a bit away from each other??I might do a little reading just to be sure though. I will def be co-sleeping them for a short while regardless. The length of time will depend on how dependant they become on one another!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My friend had twins and she breastfed. 2 babies, 2 boobs iykwim. She got a special pillow to hold both of them. It took a while and alot if determination but she did it. She found hospital unsupportive saying with twins it's too difficult so you'll have to do your homework on it and prepare yourself especially from potential resistence in hospital. Also just because it doesn't work at the beginning for whatever reason it doesn't mean you can't try when you get home.

Btw double congrats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FutureMom2Two

Hi Everyone
    I know this is your thread Neillcm but maybe it'll be kept as the Twins thread;)?
    So I'm joining from the ttc board.
    I'm 8 weeks tomorrow with Twins after my 2nd ivf cycle.
    I wish I knew how to calm down. I'm forever wishing myself away to a further stage.
    I just want to be more established in my pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Hi Everyone
    I know this is your thread Neillcm but maybe it'll be kept as the Twins thread;)?
    So I'm joining from the ttc board.
    I'm 8 weeks tomorrow with Twins after my 2nd ivf cycle.
    I wish I knew how to calm down. I'm forever wishing myself away to a further stage.
    I just want to be more established in my pregnancy.

Congrats. I know the feeling of wanting to be further on esp in the early weeks but savour every minute of being pregnant.

FutureMom2Two...don't be silly!Not 'my' thread at all...the more the merrier :D:D. Congrats on your pregnancy & the twins....it's all a bit overwhelming isn't it! But in the best way possible of course!!!

I know exactly how you feel about wanting to get to the next stage. I cannot wait to pass the 12 week stage and get that added bit of reassurance.I wish I could fall asleep and wake up in four weeks time :p
    .....on the other hand though there is a great novelty to these early days too. And I'm just over 8 weeks myself so we can do the countdown together ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

FutureMom2Two- my twins are theresult of our third round of IUI, so I know where you are coming from. Congrats!

You don't need big boobs to breastfeed, your boobs/ supply will adjust. I started off with large A cups and ended with D cups (which deflated nicely to Bs when I weaned). If you can even breastfeed for a few days or weeks, it will be great for the babies, especially if they are born a bit early. But I won't lie to you, breastfeeding twins is hard work, especially in the first 6 weeks or so- I spent most of my awake time on the sofa, naked from the waist up, feeding the babies while husband fed me.

We did feed half a bottle of formula after about 6 weeks during the night, given by husband, so I could sleep. If bottle feeding, you can use the breastfeeding pillow, but I know my husband found it easier to have them in bouncers and sit on the floor in front of them, holding the two bottles.

BTW, ours were in the bedside cot (side by side at first, then feet to feet) until 8 months, then went into separate cots but both in our room, and at 14 months went into separate rooms from eachother and us.

I think I'll definitly invest in a breastfeeding pillow so...I hope to breast feed for at least a week or two minimum anyway and then I'll use it for bottle feeding after that.

Thanks Silja...I may be calling on your expertise alot over the next couple of months ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Hi all congratulations to all the mums to be:DIm a mammy of identical twins and i must tell you if its your first you will know no different from havind a singleton...yes it might be double of everything but i will tell you its double the joy:)Ibought side by side buggys and they were a nightmare...i went thru 3 in the first 3 years!!!!!I went 19 days early so it is advisable to pack your bag early...i didnt breastfeed altho i was advised to i was just so sore after having to have a c section...and overwhelmed after having the babies...you will find the babies will rear each other...mine slept separetly and always woke together 4 feeds...it really is a very special pregnancy best of luck to you all;):)

Thanks Sassychick!

So you wouldn't recommend a side by side then no ;)??Thats a relief.I had settled on not getting one and was hoping I was doing the right thing. Hopefully my two will be as well behaved as yours and synchronise their waking for feeds too!!!Otherwise I could be a very tired Mama :D

Thanks again for the advice

Is it possible that I could be feeling movement already at 12w+1...or am I imagning it??

Sorry!! Can't help ya there!! I'm way behind you at bang on 9weeks so all I'm feeling is nausea & exhaustion :(:( .....wana swap ;)

Have you had your first appintment with your hospital yet? If so how did it go?I'm in 1st November...'twin clinic' (he he he) is only on Mondays in the coombe so I had to wait until the Monday after the bank holiday. I can't wait to see the two little ones again, plus I'll be 11 weeks at that stage so hopefully I'll be feeling like a real human being!!!

Yeah really looking forward to seeing another scan!!
    They should look a bit more human like than the 2 little beans in my last scan :) Altho I still like to carry the pics around and look at them every so often!

First hospital appointment isnt until 8th of November when I'll be 15 weeks. I had that appointment before I found out there were twins so I rang the hosp and they said that appointment was fine and there was no need to come in any earlier!

Have been feeling fine. My future MIL text my OH last night to see how I got on with doc (first official antenatal visit), she didnt want to text me in case I was asleep and she woke me....It was about 8 o clock!! I was thinking.....do pregnant women usually go to bed at that time???

Ha ha ha...yup I do :P. If I really force myself I can make it til 10 but only if I've had a minimum 2hr nap during the day!!!! It's a non-stop party in my house ;);)

There was a bit of a mix up with my registration form so I only got to fax it in last Friday. But I got a call first thing Monday saying they'd take me in early because of the twins. I have an underlying illness too so I think thats what really has them taking me in early. Either way I won't complain!!What hospital are you attending?

I'm the same as you, keep taking sneaky peaks at my first scan and having a little chuckle :D Reassures you that it really is real too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi all,

i found out recently that i expecting two bundles too ,due in april . I already have a set of twins they are almost 5 so we were very very shocked to find we were having another set !!! To be honest i'm scared stiff my twins were born very prem and im dreading it happening again they were born 13 weeks early and thankfully are doing brilliantly. I cant even give any tips on looking after them as its all a blur haha , oh how quickly we forget !!!

well congrats to all the other twin mama's to be hopefully chat to you all soon x

Wow congrats on the second set of twins!!! You're a fairly impressive statistic twinsx2!!!!!!

Hopefully this birth will be alot smoother for you & the little ones stay in there a bit longer. How many weeks along are you? Have you found out if your expecting identical or non-identical twins?

I'm just 10weeks+1 at the moment with non-identical twins but I'm HUGE...none of my trousers fit me anymore, and haven't done for the past 3 weeks. I'm condemed to leggings & tracksuit bottoms (and even those feel tight!!) Still I'm not complaining.....this is way too exciting :D

Have my first antenatal appt in the Coombe on Monday so am very excited. I know it's not the full 12weeks over but hopefully if all is looking well then it's a fairly good sign. Have you had an appointment yet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

My wife and I had twins 2 1/2 months ago. Slightly early, and a bit small at 4 1/2 lbs, and 5 lbs.

Now both lads are just over 10lbs. Breastfed/Expressed breastmilk the whole way apart from a small period in ICU before my wife could produce enough milk. It was pretty difficult as they were too small to latch, so had to be tube fed expressed milk, and obviously tonnes of pumping for my poor wife to get everything going while the babies were in ICU.

All sounds a bit grim, and it was really tough, but they're doing fantastically now, and things got noticeably easier at various steps along the way. Not easy, not all. Just easier :)

Oh, as an aside. Just because they tell you your pregnancy is indicative of dizygotic (non-identical) twins, doesn't mean they are, it's just indicative! Turns out that if identical twins split within the first 4 days they're indistiguishable from non-identical over ultrasound. Ours weren't expected to be identical but we're 99% certain they are, and are getting a DNA cheek swab done just to be sure. It's kind of embarrassing saying you're not sure if your twins are identical :)

Great to hear they are both doing so well now - sounds like you & your wife had a tough couple of months. Especially your poor wife with all that pumping :eek::eek: I don't envy her!

Thats so interesting about identical/non-idential twins. The nurse at my 8 week scan showed no hesitation in saying they were non-identical but I didn't know they could never be certain??!! Wow...you learn something new every day. Either way the scan showed two seperate sac's so whether they are identical or non-idential at least the pregnancy isn't as risky as with one sac.

Make sure to post up when you get the results of the DNA test back.... it will be so interesting to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Congrats on all the twins.

I'm particuarly interested to hear that the scan gives some indication of whether twins are identical or non-identical. I had a booking appointment in one of the Dublin maternity hospitals (unnamed for reasons that will become clear) a few weeks ago and the mother before me on the rota was loudly chewed out of it by the nurse doing her check up for asking if it would be possible to find out if her (20 week) twins were identical. The nurse screamed at her for about 10 minutes (why did she want to know, what difference would it make, etc). I could hear the girl (who sounded eastern European) sobbing hysterically while the nurse continued her rant. That particular nurse continued to give the woman, and her husband a hard time for the rest of the appointment.

I was appalled. And now to find out that there was a very simple answer to the girl's simple question.

The poor girl.... there are alot of reasons why she would want to know I won't list them all here. The main one being there are alot more risks with identical twins (particularly if they share the same sac) than with non-identical twins.

I don't know if it's necessarily simple to know the difference - up until 'quozl's' post I assumed it was. Two sac's non-identical, one sac identical as my nurse seemed so certain, but obviously if the embryo splits early enough two of everything is made and it's hard to tell. I assume if identical twins are in seperate sacs they are no more at risk than non-identical twins and can be treated as such- I'm no midwife/ doctor though!!!!

There is no reason why they should have spoken to that girl like that. I don't know anyone expecting twins that wouldn't ask the same question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

awww congratulations...I found out on Sat that I'm preg and am absolutely petrified it's gonna be twins...they run in both families and I got away with the first time around :eek:

Very best of luck with the pregnancy xx

I had my first hospital appointment on monday, 15 weeks.
    The consultant there said he coulsn't tell with certainly whether the twins were identical/non identical and was only because we had a private scan done at 9 weeks when babas were a lot smaller that they could tell that they were non identical!
    2 strong heartbeats and both measuring perfect for dates!! Yay!! :D

Congrats on the good news!!It's always such a relief to have the scans done & find out everything is ok!!I had a scan at week 8 and week 11 at two different hospitals...and both said without a doubt they were non-identical. But maybe as they get bigger its harder to tell -seems like those early private scans really paid off eh??!

I'm back in the 29th November when I'll be 15 weeks, fingers crossed all goes well til then..... can't wait to see them again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had to go to the epu on thursday to have bloods done (everything is fine just GP being over cautious) but they scanned me and it was wonderfull both are growing at healthy rate very active - looked like they were fighting in there then making up with a kiss :)

wouldnt tell me what sex they were tho she said it was still a bit early to be finding out - due back for next hosp appt in 2 weeks time so im hoping to find out then will be almost 20 weeks then - fingers crossed although midwife told me that i have a 77% chance of having boys as ive got 3 already , i'm not really fussed either way once they are healthy !!

is anyone else going to find out the sex or are you waiting for a surprise ?

neillcm wrote: »
    Congrats on the good news!!It's always such a relief to have the scans done & find out everything is ok!!I had a scan at week 8 and week 11 at two different hospitals...and both said without a doubt they were non-identical. But maybe as they get bigger its harder to tell -seems like those early private scans really paid off eh??!

I'm back in the 29th November when I'll be 15 weeks, fingers crossed all goes well til then..... can't wait to see them again :D

Yep its unreal the relief after getting the scans done!
    Definitely glad we got the early scan done. Consultant said theres a lower risk of complications with non identicals so is a bit of a comfort!
    Hope all goes well for you on the 29th!
    I couldnt get over the difference in the babies between the 2 scans(9 & 15 weeks)
    Have 20 weeks big scan 2nd week in december so think after that I'll have to start shopping :D

• Advertisement

twinsx2 wrote: »
    I had to go to the epu on thursday to have bloods done (everything is fine just GP being over cautious) but they scanned me and it was wonderfull both are growing at healthy rate very active - looked like they were fighting in there then making up with a kiss :)

wouldnt tell me what sex they were tho she said it was still a bit early to be finding out - due back for next hosp appt in 2 weeks time so im hoping to find out then will be almost 20 weeks then - fingers crossed although midwife told me that i have a 77% chance of having boys as ive got 3 already , i'm not really fussed either way once they are healthy !!

is anyone else going to find out the sex or are you waiting for a surprise ?

Not plannig on finding out until the day!
    Altho was suggesting to OH that we find out what one is so we can be half prepared and still have a surprise on the day :p

Advertisement