Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twins....!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FutureMom2Two

Hey where's all the twin mommies to be gone?
    I'm 15weeks1day today.
    Had a lot of ups and downs this pregnancy so far. Been on bedrest now for 5 weeks with a subchorionic hematoma( a blood clot) It has gotten smaller at the last two ultrasounds. All is well with the babies they're always measuring perfect. Just a lot of pain for me and worries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Sorry to hear you havent been well FutureMom2Two.
    Hopefully things will start getting easier!
    Am 19 weeks today and having big scan done on saturday so fingers crossed all goes well at that!
    Starting to feel a lot of movement in the last week or so and OH got to feel a kick on saturday night so he was all chuffed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 neillcm

Hope your feeling alot better too FutureMom2Two - hopefully your over the worst of it now and can start enjoying your pregnancy :)

I'm 16weeks tomorrow, have my big scan on the 10th of Jan so cannot wait. The last scan was only last monday but it was really only a check-up so I didn't get to see much at all. But consultant said the heartbeats & sizes were good so thats enough for me :)

Haven't felt any major movement yet...just like butterflies/bubbles in my tummy. The only thing is that I feel that kinda movement alot...I'm going to be black & blue if they keep up this much movement when they're bigger and can actually hurt me :eek::eek::eek:.

How are everyones bumps coming along? Since kinda week 14ish I've noticed a big growth...almost everyday I can notice a difference. I was borderline underweight before so I had a bit of a bump straight away but now I actually look pregnant - as opposed to just having put on a few pounds which is nice ;). I wonder how big we'll go with twins? Are twin bumps normally considerably bigger or just slightly does anyone know??

Glad to hear all is gong well neillcm.
    Bump defo getting bigger here. I measured around my belly last week and the week before that and in the space of 9 days it had increased by 2 inches!
    I got a kick on sunday afternoon that made me jump.....I actually thought I had bumped into something. Did hurt tho!!....yet :-)
    I read that both twin's grow at the same rate as a single baby for the first 28 weeks but then it slows down a bit....so I would presume the bumps will be a bit bigger!!!

Had 20 week scan on saturday and all looking good!! Both babas measuring at exactly 20w0days!:)

Such a relief...had been at GP's on thursday and the doc could only be definite that she had heard 1 heartbeat with the doppler. She did say it is was difficult to distinguish between the 2 heartbeats with the doppler as she couldnt be sure if she was hearing 2 separate heartbeats and not just the same one from 2 different angles. Had me a bit panicked!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Twins seem to be the thing at the moment. A girl in my office is expecting twins, as is someone else in a friend's office.

That's great news newmammy.

Congrats NewMammy on the scan

Can someone tell me how often are the mommies to be of fraternal twins getting seen?
    I'm a bit upset as I've been told I won't be seen at all between weeks 20 and 26 sounds crazy to me I know the identical twin mommies need to be seen much more often because of twin to twin transfusion but still carrying any twins is a higher risk
    They also said they won't attempt to stop premature labour until after 24weeks :(
    Does anyone get cervical measurements done either by ultrasound or otherwise? They're saying I'll never get this done not happy about that either.
    I'm attending the c''mbe not sure I'm so happy with my choice now was happy before but not so much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I had fraternal twins in H Street and got seen every 4 weeks until 28 weeks.

The 24 weeks is standard policy in Irish hospitals (it is 22 weeks where I now live, in the USA), because the viability is significantly higher past 24 weeks. That being said, I have two friends-0 each with singleton pregnancies- who had preterm labor at 20 and 23 weeks respectively and requested everything possible be done to stop it, and they both got drugs to stop it and were released after some days of hospital bedrest.

No cervical checks is also normal unless you had previous pregnancies with cervical incompetence. I believe the thinking is that you shouldn't disturb "down there" and possibly introduce infection for probably no reason. I only have two cervixal checks, one at 29 weeks after a bleed and one at 38 weeks when the doctor was surprised I had had no contractions at all.

Congrats NewMammy on the scan

Can someone tell me how often are the mommies to be of fraternal twins getting seen?
    I'm a bit upset as I've been told I won't be seen at all between weeks 20 and 26 sounds crazy to me I know the identical twin mommies need to be seen much more often because of twin to twin transfusion but still carrying any twins is a higher risk
    They also said they won't attempt to stop premature labour until after 24weeks :(
    Does anyone get cervical measurements done either by ultrasound or otherwise? They're saying I'll never get this done not happy about that either.
    I'm attending the c''mbe not sure I'm so happy with my choice now was happy before but not so much now.

Ive only been to the hospital once at 15 weeks.
    Am doing combined care and consultant said he would like me to attend the hospital more in the later stages and could see my GP in the earlier stages. So saw the doc at 19 weeks and am due to go again this evening 23 weeks and back to hosp in 4 weeks.
    Had never actually heard of a scan for cervical measurements....might ask the doc about this this evening!

Silija I agree things Shouldn't be disturbed down there and there definetly is a risk of infection with manual checks but they could check by ultrasound.
    I'm coming from abroad but also europe, was in there care until 16 weeks and the system of care is a million miles apart but they also don't have on over stretched maternity system as theres a low birth rate and gynaecologist/ob's are in large supply.
    I'm raising the issue with the consultant on monday the 10th as thats my first consultant appointment at 20wks1day.
    i'm having a hard time with this pregnancy from the start with the bedrest from weeks 10-16 and spotting on off for that time and now I'm dealing with tightenings or braxton hicks often although not often enough to go in I've been on to the midwifes a few times the last couple weeks.
    I just really need the reassurance of knowing my cervix is coping with all of this.
    My doctor abroad who got me pregnant with this ivf has recommened private checks at least every four weeks if the hospital refuses me.
    anyways hope everyone is well.
    newmammy2011 so that means you will have 12 weeks were you only had gp care :eek:?
    But you obviously were in the hospital for ultrasounds and midwife stuff right?
    I don't know but to me it would seem like 20-28 weeks is a really important time as to get good medical care as thats when if things go wrong it could go very wrong.
    But then again I don't know if your having a picture perfect pregnancy its probably all good.
    I know ton's of women have a hard time in pregnancy but sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who isn't sailing through it.

• Advertisement

Yes wont have been to hospital from 15 to 27 weeks. Consultant said that particularly with twins they would expect more problems after 28 weeks and want to monitor me more in the hospital then!
    I wasnt too worried about this as they seem to do the same checks at either one!
    Had my scan done in hosp!
    Havent had any probs to date with the pregnancy:)

newmammy2011 I'm so glad everythings going so well for you in your pregnancy.
    I'm hoping things will get easier for me soon but I'm thinking I'm just one of the ones who has hard pregnancies.
    But the most important thing is healthy babies at the end:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Advice;
    - join imba and go to a couple of meetings... very reassuring
    - two kettles, one for bottle water and one for normal use
    - there are tandem buggies that will accept two infant carseats.... wish I'd have gotten one of those
    - get two slings... and use them! we had two baby Bjorns and used them from 6 days to 12 months.
    - from day one get them used to settling themselves to sleep. you won't have time to rock them when older so this saves a lot of anguish (this on it's own was the best advice I got)

Twins are a wonderful blessing. Good luck.

Mine are one on Wednesday.... it FLEW by!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

quozl wrote: »
    Oh, as an aside. Just because they tell you your pregnancy is indicative of dizygotic (non-identical) twins, doesn't mean they are, it's just indicative! Turns out that if identical twins split within the first 4 days they're indistiguishable from non-identical over ultrasound. Ours weren't expected to be identical but we're 99% certain they are, and are getting a DNA cheek swab done just to be sure. It's kind of embarrassing saying you're not sure if your twins are identical :)

After the cheek swabs got lost in the post twice en-route to America we switched to a UK testing company instead. Got the results today - the boys ARE identical, with a 1 in 11.7 million confidence.

So, unless one has a willy and the other doesn't, they really can only guess at identical/non-identicalness from the scan, as it all depends on when the egg splits.

Major plus side - I no longer feel so bad for having so much trouble telling them apart for the first few months of their lives!

How are all the twin mammy's??
    33 weeks today and getting very uncomfortable!
    Had scan on friday and both babies are head down and looking good for an attempt at a natural delivery! weights were estimated at 2.2 and 2.1kg so good sizes!
    Only 2 & 1/2 weeks left in work and cant wait to finish!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

neillcm - I deleted your post as your user name was your e-mail address and it could lead to you getting a lot of spam!

Hey newmammy2011,

Been a while since I've posted here!Glad to hear all is good with you & the babies are a good size you must be so excited being so close!. I'm 30wks today and had my last scan Monday when the babies were 3lb 8 & 3lb 9 so getting big too!!

It's looking more likely that I'll have a section at this stage - lowest baby down is breech (and kicking the living daylights out of my cervix & that general area!!) and the second is transverse.They both seem pretty comfy in these positions as they have never moved .....although I know there is still a bit of time for them to.

Have the hospital said anything to you about the birth yet?If they plan on taking you in early or anything like that? I'm in with the consultant on Monday (30wks 5 days) but it's still a bit early for him to be able to tell me anything .I've another appointment with him again at 32wks 5days so I'm gonna push him for a bit of information then!!!

The waiting is killing me!Oh and I'm with you on being uncomfortable...I feel like a beached whale at this stage

Chat soon
    neillcm xx

Welcomed my 2 little boys into the world on 13 April.
    Liam and Aaron were a healthy 5lbs13 and 6lbs!
    Settling in well at home.
    Mammy & Daddy on cloud 9 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Congratulations :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Congrats newmammy!
    Bet you have your hands full
    My singleton was only 4 oz bigger than one of your twins so you have done REALLY WELL!

Enjoy the sleepness nights and the numerous nappy changes from here on in :D

Advertisement