Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Missing Sorbate from Homebrew Wine pack

Options
  • 15-10-2010 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

Quick Question..

I am at the final stages of making another batch of wine.. I was just about to add the sorbate when I realised that it's missing from the pack..

A quick check on the web tells me its used to inhibit any refermentation later on in the bottles..

Can I assume that its not critical that I add it? or is there anything I could use as a replacement that is availble in local shops (dont want to have to wait from some to be send via mail)..

I have the metabisulfite, kieselsol & chitsosan..

(I checked my homebrew box, and found some left over finings and stabiliser from cider kits).. Could the stabiliser be used? (although its marked 1 gallon (2 grams) and I am making 20L of wine)..

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

If you’re in Dublin there My Beer and Wine' on 41 Lower Rathmines http://www.mybeerandwine.ie/

or this is the option of adding some Campden tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) to kill of the yeast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

oblivious wrote: »
    If you’re in Dublin there My Beer and Wine' on 41 Lower Rathmines http://www.mybeerandwine.ie/

or this is the option of adding some Campden tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) to kill of the yeast

Is there the option of just leaving it?

If you think it’s fermented out its worth a try, it just if the is more CO2 produce the bottle aren’t designed to that that type of pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Thanks Oblivious.. I think I'll risk it.. It's been stable gravity for over a week now (been too busy to get around to it), and I have been degassing for the last few days..

I'll keep an eye on the bottles after bottling to see if there is any extra CO2 being produced.. They will be in 1 ltr plastic bottles I bought from the homebrew centre.. so they should at least bulge a bit if the pressure increases..

Appreciate the help.. thanks :)

Are the Campden tablets available from pharmacies/Tesco etc? or just howbrew shops? I am out in Kildare, so don't have the time to get to any of the homebrew shops.

Welease wrote: »
    Are the Campden tablets available from pharmacies/Tesco etc? or just howbrew shops? I am out in Kildare, so don't have the time to get to any of the homebrew shops.

Probably just homebrew shops, there is always http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/

Unit 12A,

Bay Road Business Park,

Mountmellick,

Co. Laois

Opening hours Monday to Friday 2pm-6pm

Satuday 10am-1pm and 2pm-6pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

One campden tablet contains one tenth of a teaspoon of metabisulphite.
    I've a got a set of measuring spoons that go down to 1/8th tsp, so I
    use a short measure of that instead of having to crush a tablet.

Advertisement