Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Froyo for Samsung Galaxy S

• 15-10-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Eventually they're starting to roll it out

Will have to go through the pain of launching kies again, and presumably having to download an 80mb update to see if it's there yet.

Then, if all the planets are aligned, and a warm wind blows from the north.... it will recognise my Galaxy S -and hey presto Froyo

couldn't be easier:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I think my firmware is JG so I am probably ages away yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

It would have to be released the one weekend I left my USB cable at home so can't connect up to my laptop to try the update. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

let me know when this is available here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

let me know when this is available here

plus 1.

I hate using kies. Worst software ever!

Read conflicting reports that there may be an ota update for those without windows, but also that only networks can provide this and not manufacturers.

E wayither could someone please post here when they have it available on a stock phone from within ireland.

Ta much,

Squee

• Registered Users Posts: 30 elbono

I am downloading the update now, you have to do a registry hack to get it working through kies

I have an unbranded phone. I think it was a meteor one initially but it never had branding or anything.

Use the attached reg file, you have to change the devicedb number to your number. if you don't know how to do that just ask and i'll type it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I have the new version on my Galaxy (JPM/JP6). The browser in my opinion is very disappointing; its very slow. Even with Flash turned off it's very noticeably slower than the browser in 2.1
    I didn't notice this in the first leaked 2.2 (JPC?)
    Don't be in a rush to upgrade is my advice.

elbono wrote: »
    I am downloading the update now, you have to do a registry hack to get it working through kies

I have an unbranded phone. I think it was a meteor one initially but it never had branding or anything.

Use the attached reg file, you have to change the devicedb number to your number. if you don't know how to do that just ask and i'll type it out.

Has that worked for you without problems? Still have the market app and other things that people have said there are issues with?

I'll probably wait for the official update. I read Wednesday for the UK so maybe that'll include us...

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Has anyone here been able to upgrade yet. I gave it a try this evening but no luck. Can I just use one of the workarounds to upgrade instead or is it worth waiting til an official release can be downloaded through Kies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 AndyL

Will there be an alternative way to update other than via Kies. Kies doesn't work for me (and seemingly 80% of other Galaxy S users)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yep, via Odin, it's a bit techy, but it worked for me.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=807886

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭kumar_aq

Froyo starts rolling out today; everyone will have it by the end of Nov. To prepare, get the latest version of Kies http://bit.ly/cfjJDa

This is from the SamsungUKMobile twitter page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jondoyle

has anyone had any success with the upgrade? :confused:

Please post.

Rgds J :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I've been hooking my phone up to Kies every evening to check for a firmware upgrade but no sign yet. I also asked samsungmobileuk on twitter when it would be rolled out in Ireland and I didn't get a reply, although I think they have said somewhere that it'll be before the end of November. I bought my phone in the carphone warehouse, and I'm on meteor, so does that mean meteor need to be involved in the rollout somehow? Or is it completely up to samsung?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭kumar_aq

There is a website "www.youmobile.org", they have been consistent in getting the right inside information. According to them here is the schedule

http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/Galaxy-S-Froyo-Update-Start-Rolling-out-for-Users-Worldwide-Dates-

UK (All Carriers): 5/11 to 11/11
    Europe (Rest): 15/11 to 30/11
    USA (T-Mobile, AT&T): 11/11 to 29/11
    Middle East and Arab Gulf (STC, Other Carriers): 20/11 to 30/11
    Rest of the World: 11/11 to 30/11

So it should be here by the end of the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭scottyboy

if you don't fancy waiting then follow the instructions on this link

very easy and completed in less than 10 minutes from beginning to end. Didn't backup any contacts etc and lost nothing.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-use-odin-to-upgrade-samsung-galaxy-s-gt-i9000-to-android-2-2-froyo-download/

The instructions and firmware download links are for the official UK release of the firmware, released last friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

75 meg kies update that wasnt there the other day.. downloading now

mawk wrote: »
    75 meg kies update that wasnt there the other day.. downloading now

Any joy? Or do I take it that it suggested a firmware upgrade that bricked your phone like it did mine 3 weeks ago.

Also, we still dont have 2.2, and nexus one are getting 2.3.

This is a flagship device for Samsung. They should seriously get fingers out of asses.

scottyboy wrote: »
    if you don't fancy waiting then follow the instructions on this link

very easy and completed in less than 10 minutes from beginning to end. Didn't backup any contacts etc and lost nothing.

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-use-odin-to-upgrade-samsung-galaxy-s-gt-i9000-to-android-2-2-froyo-download/

The instructions and firmware download links are for the official UK release of the firmware, released last friday.

Still no sign of the update coming down for my phone via kies. I'm getting tempted to follow this approach Scotty. I'm just wondering if I'll lose any meteor specific settings and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Dbaby

Hey,
    Post from http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=1404

Hey guys,

This is due November 19th

User-updatable through Samsung’s ‘Kies’ PC studio software.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Meteor talk to us

• Advertisement

Dbaby wrote: »
    Hey,
    Post from http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=1404

Hey guys,

This is due November 19th

User-updatable through Samsung’s ‘Kies’ PC studio software.

Thanks,
    Stephen
    Meteor talk to us

Thanks for the update - I'll hold off another couple of days so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I connected via kies half an hour ago and now have the 2.2 upgrade.

longshanks wrote: »
    I connected via kies half an hour ago and now have the 2.2 upgrade.

Interesting. Are you on meteor?

RonnieL wrote: »
    Interesting. Are you on meteor?

Yup, on bill pay.

Damn so am I and I still haven't got anything....mind if I ask you what message were you getting before? Mine says this devices firmware cannot be upgraded?

Yup, on bill pay.

Same here. I tried last night and there was nothing, so maybe it's just starting today. I'll try again when I get home from work. Thanks for the updates!

Damn so am I and I still haven't got anything....mind if I ask you what message were you getting before? Mine says this devices firmware cannot be upgraded?

I checked it a couple of days ago and got that same message. Connected earlier on the off chance and now I'm here all smug and 2.2ish
    Same here. I tried last night and there was nothing, so maybe it's just starting today. I'll try again when I get home from work. Thanks for the updates!

Its pretty decent, tidies up some of the functions, voice activation stuff, and other technical wizardry that the nerds get excited about

Its pretty decent, tidies up some of the functions, voice activation stuff, and other technical wizardry that the nerds get excited about

Wow, you preempted my question!

I'm looking forward to seeing if the skype app will work on the galaxy s running 2.2 - I think it should but I'll believe it when I see it. I have had problems with my 2.1 handset lagging, and the battery life is poor - I'm hoping 2.2 will improve things on both fronts.

Sweet! I was getting worried I'd have to reset the phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

I got my phone with Vodafone and I updated it with I9000XXJPO which gave me Froyo. Not too impressed so far, flash support seems to slow the browser. Its a complicated process as the three button download option does not work on my phone, seems to be disabled.

I now see that there is a customized Vodafone ROM available I9000BUJP7 (possibly Vodafone UK) and I am wondering if its worth replacing my ROM. Its also 10MB bigger, maybe some extra Vodafone bloatware?

Anyone running this ROM?

Did you just update kies or do you download and install? Also have you full kies installed or just the phone part? Im checking like every 5 minutes now because one of my friends has it now too!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Was offered this this afternoon.Installed , no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I connected my phone (Galaxy S on Meteor Bill Pay) to my laptop and ran Kies. It offered me the firmware update. I'll install it later on tonight. :)

Has anyone from Meteor tried to upgrade and still cant?

Has anyone from Meteor tried to upgrade and still cant?

Me :(

Attached screenshot of what I'm seeing. Maybe it's done based on version, I dunno.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly what I have....did you buy your phone from the carphone warehouse?? Shouldn't be surprised really....samsung originally announced this is September!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Kies is the biggest piece of shit software I have EVER seen. Can't get the damn thing to work. I'd take Nokia PC Suite over this even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Me :(

Attached screenshot of what I'm seeing. Maybe it's done based on version, I dunno.

exactly what I have too :mad:

Has anyone that has upgraded got the this devices firmware cannot be upgraded message??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Kies is the biggest piece of shit software I have EVER seen. Can't get the damn thing to work. I'd take Nokia PC Suite over this even.

Are you getting the "Mainstage has stopped working" message?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

I didnt really mind waiting for the official froyo to come out but now that most people seem to be able to get it, I'm getting seriously fcuking pissed off that I cant.
    Sort it out Samsung!!!!

I know I was happy waiting till Friday! I'd say we can give up for now...not like the update is going to happen while no on is working!

Are you getting the "Mainstage has stopped working" message?
    Nah, the stupid flashing every five seconds mtp thingy. Even with SD cards taken out to avoid the filename issue. Disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Nah, the stupid flashing every five seconds mtp thingy. Even with SD cards taken out to avoid the filename issue. Disaster

Same here. Junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 philipjmurphy

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear that some of you have had a bad experience with upgrade. I upgraded my phone yesterday and I love it. Flash in internet browser, USB tethering, Wireless hotspot all working - super cool phone.

Cheers,

Philip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Meteor Bill pay

Just upgraded smoothly with KIES , gonna play around with it tomorrow and report back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear that some of you have had a bad experience with upgrade. I upgraded my phone yesterday and I love it. Flash in internet browser, USB tethering, Wireless hotspot all working - super cool phone.

Cheers,

Philip

Do you happen to know what you need on your PC to make USB tethering work? Is it Kies?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Riva

I had the same problem,unmounted all cards, external and internal, no dice.Read somewhere that Kies doesn't support names over 16 characters, but I'm sure you know that.IF you've ever used the sound hound app, there's a cache folder in the internal memory.Wipe the files in there.I think the path is soundhound>cache

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I connected my phone (Galaxy S on Meteor Bill Pay) to my laptop and ran Kies. It offered me the firmware update. I'll install it later on tonight. :)

Just installed Froyo now, everything went smoothly :cool:
    I've attached images of the Kies version I have installed, and also the firmware upgrade message detailing what version I had and what I have upgraded to now.

Riva wrote: »
    I had the same problem,unmounted all cards, external and internal, no dice.Read somewhere that Kies doesn't support names over 16 characters, but I'm sure you know that.IF you've ever used the sound hound app, there's a cache folder in the internal memory.Wipe the files in there.I think the path is soundhound>cache

Hope this helps
    I'll give that a shot later on. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement