Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motivation/Inspiration

• 15-10-2010 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭

I've been having a terrible lull in my motivation for taking pictures for the last few months. Not even a lull, there's no motivation what-so-ever actually. I know that it's down to a fair amount of personal reasons, but it's just so frustrating.

Whenever I flick through the random photo threads it actually just makes me feel worse because of all the brilliant pictures and I just keep thinking "Why can't I do that anymore" (screw all you talented people! :D)

The last time I took a picture that I actually liked was back at the beginning of August, but even back then I was forcing myself to take pictures just because I felt like I had to do it (weird I know). Since then I've more or less stopped even trying, apart from a few times where I made myself do it, but the results were so bad that I just deleted them in frustration.

So what do my fellow boardsies do when this happens? Is it something that happens everyone once in a while, something that will pass? I'm really at a loose end. I've even contemplated wasting a load of money on some fancy new gear that I don't even remotely need in the hope that that might trigger something, but I don't think that's a wise move.

Advice? Tips? Please, I'm dying here :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think everyone goes through it, at some stage. You need to take a break. You need to let your mind rest before it finds that spark again.

Just wait ... it will happen. Something will click and you'll want to grab the camera again. Be patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Happens to the best of us!

Boards meetups / walkabouts are a really great way of putting you back in 'the zone'

I have to say, I am kind of in the same boat at the moment and I am going to change that Today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

First thing I would say is forget about the Random Photo thread and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing. Keeping up with the Joneses is really the last reason that you want to be taking photographs.

Next thing I would say is that it's good to take a break from photography some times... a break away from anything always freshens things up when you do decide to make a return.

Finally... take photos for yourself, that make you happy. Forget about all the other influences that surround you and just be yourself through your photography.

Free your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Like all creative endevours, photography isn't something than can really be forced, and so you need to be in the right frame of mind to get results that you will like. Yes, you can force yourself to go out, and you can take technically excellent pictures, but you'll always know that you forced yourself out, and have less chance of getting shots that you love. Your mind/heart/head all needs to be in the right place, and that can take a bit of time.

Take a break, don't worry about it -you don't lose your 'eye', it just takes a break sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Tallon wrote: »
    Boards meetups / walkabouts are a really great way of putting you back in 'the zone'

If that takes your fancy, there's one over on photowalk.ie at the moment for November 7th lead by our own dave66 encompassing Bray and Avoca mines.

There's one tomorrow lead by Podge Kelly with the South Dublin County Libraries here. It says early booking is advisable so don't know if there are any spaces left.

Failing that don't beat yourself up over it :o The interest will come again. I'd suggest going out with camera but don't expect to take a single shot. Then you will only end up shooting what is worthy of shooting. Often, what we shoot mightn't actually be worthy of being shot so it may not be entirely your own fault.

Now that reminds me. I must make a point of taking my camera up again over the weekend - a few things coming up that I need to shoot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated.
    Paulw wrote: »
    I think everyone goes through it, at some stage. You need to take a break. You need to let your mind rest before it finds that spark again.

Just wait ... it will happen. Something will click and you'll want to grab the camera again. Be patient.

Here's hoping, thanks Paul.
    Tallon wrote: »
    Happens to the best of us!

I have to say, I am kind of in the same boat at the moment and I am going to change that Today!

I went to one of the boards meets once a long time ago, it was fun. I don't really know what's going on now (Must check) but I probably won't be able to head to any of them any time soon.

Fair play for trying to change that Tallon, hope it works for you! Let us know how you get on.
    jpb1974 wrote: »
    First thing I would say is forget about the Random Photo thread and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing. Keeping up with the Joneses is really the last reason that you want to be taking photographs.

Next thing I would say is that it's good to take a break from photography some times... a break away from anything always freshens things up when you do decide to make a return.

Finally... take photos for yourself, that make you happy. Forget about all the other influences that surround you and just be yourself through your photography.

Free your mind.

Well it's not like I've been trying to keep up with the Joneses at all. Infact I've conciously avoided the random photo threads for a long time now, and even avoided from posting in and reading this forum. I think the last time I posted in a random thread was June and I've more or less stayed away from them since then and only started looking through them again this past week.

Like all creative endevours, photography isn't something than can really be forced, and so you need to be in the right frame of mind to get results that you will like. Yes, you can force yourself to go out, and you can take technically excellent pictures, but you'll always know that you forced yourself out, and have less chance of getting shots that you love. Your mind/heart/head all needs to be in the right place, and that can take a bit of time.

Take a break, don't worry about it -you don't lose your 'eye', it just takes a break sometimes.

Thank you TinyExplosions. I think you've hit the nail on the head there about heart/mind/body needing to be in the right place. I couldn't have put it better.

I know what you mean about being able to take techinally sound pictures at a push. I mentioned the last time I took a photo that I liked was July or August, when I say I liked it I mean that it's a probably a good picture, but it really doesn't mean anything to me because i know I was forcing myself to try to get something. I wasn't having fun or enjoying taking pictures, and haven't for a long time, but was something I felt I "had" to do.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    If that takes your fancy, there's one over on photowalk.ie at the moment for November 7th lead by our own dave66 encompassing Bray and Avoca mines.

There's one tomorrow lead by Podge Kelly with the South Dublin County Libraries here. It says early booking is advisable so don't know if there are any spaces left.

Failing that don't beat yourself up over it :o The interest will come again. I'd suggest going out with camera but don't expect to take a single shot. Then you will only end up shooting what is worthy of shooting. Often, what we shoot mightn't actually be worthy of being shot so it may not be entirely your own fault.

Now that reminds me. I must make a point of taking my camera up again over the weekend - a few things coming up that I need to shoot :)

Ooh, never seen photowalk.ie before, must have a browse! Thanks Cat.

Well, I used to tend to take a camera with me no matter where I went, not necessarily expecting to take pictures with it but to have it just in case. But even lately I've stopped doing that. Maybe I should start to do that again and see what happens. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you happen to have an iPhone there's a great free app called Instagram. It's a mini social network style app that allows you to edit, upload and share photos. It's nice for inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Some nice ideas for stuff to do in here:
    http://www1.canon.com.au/worldofeos/learn/get-creative/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I know that feeling all too well. Haven't been there in a while but when I first start taking shots 5/6years ago I went through that every few months. I just didn't want to pick up the camera, no reasons, I just didn't feel like it.

Try organising a project with another photographer, I'd be happy to do something with you if you're close by!

Here's a few tips I wrote ages ago to get people inspired about photography again. Hope one of them might spark something within you :)

Kyle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

I've been having a terrible lull in my motivation for taking pictures for the last few months. Not even a lull, there's no motivation what-so-ever actually. I know that it's down to a fair amount of personal reasons, but it's just so frustrating.

Whenever I flick through the random photo threads it actually just makes me feel worse because of all the brilliant pictures and I just keep thinking "Why can't I do that anymore" (screw all you talented people! :D)

The last time I took a picture that I actually liked was back at the beginning of August, but even back then I was forcing myself to take pictures just because I felt like I had to do it (weird I know). Since then I've more or less stopped even trying, apart from a few times where I made myself do it, but the results were so bad that I just deleted them in frustration.

So what do my fellow boardsies do when this happens? Is it something that happens everyone once in a while, something that will pass? I'm really at a loose end. I've even contemplated wasting a load of money on some fancy new gear that I don't even remotely need in the hope that that might trigger something, but I don't think that's a wise move.

Advice? Tips? Please, I'm dying here :D

Something that's helped me in photography from two other lifelong pursuits (playing stringed instruments and training):

Don't EVER worry about how other people sound or look. It's how you sound that matters, and it's all that ever will.

To break a logjam, find something that you innately know will make a crappy pic and try to make a good one out of it. Conversely, change topics. If you're a landscape photographer, try forcing yourself to do still lifes, or urban or even sports and/or portraiture for 2 weeks or so. Gives you a new perspective, and it helps you come back fresh to what you love.

Or, if you haven't already, taken up another, parallel artistic pursuit. Since you shoot photos, try writing. Or pick up a guitar. Etc.....
    Most importantly, NEVER try to look or sound like someone else; they already sound like themselves, you shouldn't waste any time trying to do what they've already accomplished.

Just my $0.02

steve06 wrote: »
    If you happen to have an iPhone there's a great free app called Instagram. It's a mini social network style app that allows you to edit, upload and share photos. It's nice for inspiration.

I don't, unfortunately!
    Promac wrote: »
    Some nice ideas for stuff to do in here:
    http://www1.canon.com.au/worldofeos/learn/get-creative/

Will have a gander, thanks.
    kjt wrote: »
    I know that feeling all too well. Haven't been there in a while but when I first start taking shots 5/6years ago I went through that every few months. I just didn't want to pick up the camera, no reasons, I just didn't feel like it.

Try organising a project with another photographer, I'd be happy to do something with you if you're close by!

Here's a few tips I wrote ages ago to get people inspired about photography again. Hope one of them might spark something within you :)

Kyle

Oh that's a really great little piece you wrote, some excellent suggestions there! I'm definitely going to have to try a few of them sometime.

Thank you very much for the offer also, it's very nice of you but I'm a bit far away, up in Meath.
    Mjollnir wrote: »
    Something that's helped me in photography from two other lifelong pursuits (playing stringed instruments and training):

Don't EVER worry about how other people sound or look. It's how you sound that matters, and it's all that ever will.

To break a logjam, find something that you innately know will make a crappy pic and try to make a good one out of it. Conversely, change topics. If you're a landscape photographer, try forcing yourself to do still lifes, or urban or even sports and/or portraiture for 2 weeks or so. Gives you a new perspective, and it helps you come back fresh to what you love.

Or, if you haven't already, taken up another, parallel artistic pursuit. Since you shoot photos, try writing. Or pick up a guitar. Etc.....
    Most importantly, NEVER try to look or sound like someone else; they already sound like themselves, you shouldn't waste any time trying to do what they've already accomplished.

Just my $0.02

Don't worry, I'm definitely NOT trying to imitate anybody else, I'm just looking to get out of this rut that I've been stuck in for what seems like ages now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like that idea of taking a very boring subject and trying to make something out of it.

Switching subjects could be a good idea too. I think part of the problem for me is that for the last few months that I was actually taking pictures I noticed that I was more or less taking what was essentially the same picture over and over again, if that makes sense. Like I was just going through the motions, no inspiation or drive at all. Same type of composition, same settings, same processing etc. Especially the gig shots I used to do, I just realised that at the end of the day they all started looking the same.

I'm not really in the best situation to pick up another hobby just yet, thanks for the advice though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I've barely touched a camera since March, and for months before that I only shot because I was travelling about.

Not even entering the book this year, because I literally have nothing for it.

I had come up with a bit of a project there a while ago, but even that's a bit meh......

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

Am in the same boat myself.. Just cant get motivated just now. Feel like i wanna sell all my Canon gear. But each time i do i change my mind, this Divorce is doing my nut in haha. Anyways don't give. happy snapping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Ghost,

I don't think there is anybody who hasn't gone through a similar dry spell. I know I have, sometimes due to lack of motivation, I remember a while ago, a friend asked how my photography was going, I said “Ok, just trying to find the time to fit it in can be hard”, he told me, don’t try find the time, make the time – and this from a non-photographer!
    the bit in bold is from my recent blog entry.

Last Saturday, I got a shot I was happy with and that made all the time without a decent shot worthwhile.

Just remember, photography is a hobby (well for most of us), so it should be fun, don't try force it, don't judge you shots by looking at others. I do find having a project really helps and l found taking part in Solo Photo Book Month (SoFoBoMo) last June really helped me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I get demotivated/uninspired sometimes. When that happens, I don't take any photos for a week or two. If, say 3 weeks go by, I set myself a task of taking a photo. Of anything. Then posting it.

So I go out & take a photo & even if it is only meh, I will post it. Posting is very important to me because I always feel selfconscious about it. I know I am not a top-flight photographer & most boardsies would kick my ass - and I have a tendency to compare my photos with those of others - a mindset I am trying to break. The important point is - somebody, somewhere, will usually like it - or at least give me a bit of positive feedback for making the attempt. This often gives me a bit of inspiration.

This exercise works for me, and usually gets the idea machine flowing again....

- FoxT

Advertisement