Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Show : October 15th 2010

• 15-10-2010 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Heard him saying earlier in the week that there would be some sort of slightly politically sensitive issue on the show...
    Hector to join Tubridy on Late Late Show
    Television and radio presenter Hector Ó h'Eochagáin is set to join Ryan Tubridy on 'The Late Late Show' tonight.
    1 of 1 Ó h'Eochagáin - Set for a chat on The Late Late Show tonight. The broadcaster will be chatting about his new early morning RTÉ 2fm show, as well as his latest travel adventures. Also on the show this week are television star Singin' Bernie Walsh (aka Katherine Lynch), singer Chris de Burgh and German singing sensations The Baseballs. Watch 'The Late Late Show' tonight at 9.35pm on RTÉ One.

EDIT: updated to include show description.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

After last week's snoozefest we could do with a good old-fashioned, raucous debate but I fear it will just be a larger version of the weekly sob story segment.

EDIT: That's the line-up for this week??? Two people with shows on RTE and the most annoying singer in the world, what a load of crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭ajc100

Hector....politically sensitive... Nah

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2010/1015/thelatelateshow.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So we have Hector Ó h'Eochagáin and Bernie Walsh (aka Katherine Lynch), singer Chris de Burgh and The Baseballs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Terrible.Why do they persist in bringing on their own presenters?
    There has to be someone more interesting than Hector about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another trawl of the RTE canteen turns up empty nets. Sheeze why are they even botheering? Oh I know - 800,000 shmucks who do not know how not to watch the LLS on a Friday night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

remember back in the good old days when gay had the likes of billy connolly or dermot morgan or lenny henry on. i remember as a kid literally peeing myself laughing. PLEASE PLEASE GAY COME BACK PLEASSSSSEEEEEE(or Pat if you read this come back either....):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Shane10 wrote: »
    remember back in the good old days when gay had the likes of billy connolly or dermot morgan or lenny henry on. i remember as a kid literally peeing myself laughing...

Yeah, I think the interview with Bill Bailey was a particular low point in Tubridy's LLS career... He actually managed to make Bill Bailey unfunny... he inhibited the flow of the interview (and humour) with stupid questions, instead of just letting the comedian do his stuff....

"And of course, you have relations in Ireland?" Does this question ALWAYS have to be asked?

"And of course, you have relations in Ireland?" Does this question ALWAYS have to be asked?

I've banged on about this mentality for years, is another country in the modern world so obsessed with such parochical dealings? I'm not sure I've ever heard a guest on British telly (not UK cos NI are as bad as down here) asked about their name and what the connection to the Eastwoods' of Newcastle (or whatever) is.

i dont know what it is with tubbers, i expected him to be better. the interviews seem to be a chore for him or something, there rushed and his questions are so predictable. and i hate HATE the Late Late set now, so brown and dark, horrible. not to mention that house band who are getting really annoying. we gotta face it gay left years ago.

I loved the way Peter Kay handled the interview with Tubridy, when he started mumbling over his cue cards...

"Are you alright, have you had a stroke?"..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

i dont know what it is with tubbers, i expected him to be better. the interviews seem to be a chore for him or something, there rushed and his questions are so predictable. and i hate HATE the Late Late set now, so brown and dark, horrible. not to mention that house band who are getting really annoying. we gotta face it gay left years ago.

I wouldn't say that, there are ALOT of gay things about this current series of the Late Late Show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I last watched the LLS about 9 months ago, and I am sure Hector and Chris de Burgh were on the last episode I watched.

It seems to have really gone down hill.
    Yeah, I think the interview with Bill Bailey was a particular low point in Tubridy's LLS career... He actually managed to make Bill Bailey unfunny... he inhibited the flow of the interview (and humour) with stupid questions, instead of just letting the comedian do his stuff....

Bill Bailey unfunny? Jeez, Tubs wouldn't need to open his mouth for a successful funny interview with Bill Bailey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

"Do you drink too much?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Lineup is absolutely woeful. Added to this is the awful interviewing style of Ryan Tubridy. Pat Kenny regardless of what everyone said is much better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

mike65 wrote: »
    Another trawl of the RTE canteen turns up empty nets. Sheeze why are they even botheering? Oh I know - 800,000 shmucks who do not know how not to watch the LLS on a Friday night.
    + 20 trillion

Complete and utter joke

"are you stoned now....!

So what's everybody drinking tonight?

Seeing as how we have "German singing sensations The Baseballs" performing I shall be trying Erdinger.

Erdinger_Hefeweizen_lage.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I shall be drinking Starobrno in a pub in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Heard him saying earlier in the week that there would be some sort of slightly politically sensitive issue on the show...

To redeem themselves from that ****e line up they'd want to have the following on the panel - bertie, calleley, seanie fitzpatrick, drumm and a surprise change in interviewer for the the night in the form of jeremy paxman !

Ending the programme off with a disgruntled taxpaying suicide bomber with nothing to lose in the audience !

I'd be a happy t.v. licence payer then !

as it is it will probably be some journo hack plugging a book about the usual !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

This is going beyond a joke at this stage

• Advertisement

This is going beyond a joke at this stage

Have to agree with ya Sept, very very poor line up... I dont like Tubridy, but at this stage he must greet the forthcoming night's guest list with the same trepidation as Brian Lenihan greets the Exchequer returns..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

remember back in the good old days when gay had the likes of billy connolly or dermot morgan or lenny henry on. i remember as a kid literally peeing myself laughing. PLEASE PLEASE GAY COME BACK PLEASSSSSEEEEEE(or Pat if you read this come back either....):(

That little toad and kenneth williams clone Gay Byrne used to have weeks of trash on his show too....you just remember the better shows, that's all.

Last week at the start of the show when Tubridy walked out he didn't look any bit excited (probably due to quality of the guests), so with tonight's line-up it'll be interesting to see his demeanour when he comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

An appalling line up yet again. I am surprised Graham Norton isnt on. Just saw on the news he was down in Limerick earlier.

Hector? Bloody hell - how I wish his best mate Tommy wasnt on instead. I would pay good money to see Tommy go on a truly humiliate Tubridy and make the squirm like he often did with the plank. He would liven things up no end and piss loads of people off in the process. All line-ups like this will achieve is make people nod off.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Yawn!

AOwannabe, I reckon you'll be begging for something stronger than 0.5% proof by say 10.30!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Katherine Lynch.

How that woman makes a living in "entertainment" I'll never know.

Only in Ireland.

Skinback wrote: »
    That little toad and kenneth williams clone Gay Byrne used to have weeks of trash on his show too....you just remember the better shows, that's all.

:confused:

AOwannabe, I reckon you'll be begging for something stronger than 0.5% proof by say 10.30!

Don't worry, when I saw that guest list I also bought a few bottles of Cobra as a back-up.

As the great Roy Keane once said "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

When Tubby does actually have someone interesting on, he shuttles them off as quickly as they came on. No time to do a proper interview. If Gaybo had someone interesting on and it was going well, he would let it run over its allotted time.

Anyway Leonard Cohen is on on BBC3 or 4 at 11 and Imelda May in on Jools Holland, so I won't be watching much of the LLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Carol Vorderman is supposed to be on tonight I think or was that his radio show earlier in the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I have it on good authority that the last two episodes of the Late Late have had high profile guests pull out just days before the shows.
    Afraid the dull touch of DLB would affect their sales possibly..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Only in Ireland.

Hardly. There is that woman on tv in the UK doing the exact same thing. She is rubbish also. In the states a woman like Sarah Silverman has her own show too.

mikom wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that the last two episodes of the Late Late have had high profile guests pull out just days before the shows.
    Afraid the dull touch of DLB would affect their sales possibly..........

see thats what i would have thought,its not the show but the "man" presenting it,a good presenter is a person who brings out the best in a guest they make the audience feel good about them and in turn makes them want to see a film they are in or read their book they have written

Tubirty does none of these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm not sure what to do as the last time I posted in this thread the last time we had the very strange Diarmuid Gavin interview.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Hardly. There is that woman on tv in the UK doing the exact same thing.

Hark at CSI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Ok, this show has become so predictable.
    1st guest= Hector (who probably has a book signing or some new show)
    **************rubbish musical act********************
    2nd guest= Parents of a terminally ill child/someone in the audience who is either sick themselves or has something else horrible happen to them.
    **************Break******************************
    3rd guest= Chris De Burgh (Also has some book/cd out)
    **************Rubbish musical act********************
    4th guest= Katherine Lynch (new show starting or something)
    **************Break******************************
    5th guest= political/economical dribble from a panel

Alot more breaks i know, but it has become so predictable at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Awful.

They cant even manage one guest from overseas.

€81 billion in the hole does not scare me too much.

Not even being able to secure Kerry Katona on the Late Late, that scares the pi$$ out of me as a reflection on just how badly we are perceived.

Awful.

They cant even manage one guest from overseas.

€81 billion in the hole does not scare me too much.

Not even being able to secure Kerry Katona on the Late Late, that scares the pi$$ out of me as a reflection on just how badly we are perceived.

maybe kim jong il or castro would be up for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

maybe kim jong il or castro would be up for it

Both less monstrous then Katona.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Chris De Borg will be good entertainment...the more serious he is, the more entertaining...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

"only in Ireland"....

..........would you find 3 pages of whinging about a TV show an hour before it starts from people who can't stand it.

(waits for the usual "its our only entertainment on a Friday night" and "we pay our licence" shyte that gets trotted out on these occasions.....)

Shakyfan wrote: »

(waits for the usual "its our only entertainment on a Friday night" and "we pay our licence" shyte that gets trotted out on these occasions.....)

Its not, and I don't.

Still shite though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Another trawl of the RTE canteen turns up empty nets.
    Oh, I dunno. I believe there was an interesting cod-dish on Wednesday that could have had potential.

Ryan: "So, your book, Only Codding, great read, there you were swimming in the North Atlantic ocean when you see a trawler, just what happened next?...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I'm off down to Spar to stock up on the Koppaberg Apple and Lime Cider. See you at kickoff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Shakyfan wrote: »
    "only in Ireland"....

..........would you find 3 pages of whinging about a TV show an hour before it starts from people who can't stand it.

...ah com'on...this is like the Amphitheater in ancient Rome or the stocks in medieval times...

****trotts out****:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Skinback wrote: »

Very true, Gay in his time was lambasted as much as Plank and Tubridy was.

When Kenneth Williams appeared on the Late Late in the 70's, he wrote in his diary that he couldn't believe that people on the show were having a debate about the high cost of funerals in Ireland and that the whole programme seemed tacky and parochial....plus ca change...

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Hardly. There is that woman on tv in the UK doing the exact same thing. She is rubbish also. In the states a woman like Sarah Silverman has her own show too.

I can't argue with your first point but a name for the woman would be nice.

As for your second, comparing Katherine Lynch to Sarah Silverman.

You must be out of your freakin' mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Cicero wrote: »
    Chris De Borg will be good entertainment...the more serious he is, the more entertaining...:pac:
    you must be having a laugh :eek:

Did anyone catch the promo for tonight's show before the 9 news?

I didn't hear it all but he said something like a mathematical genius and a politician are also on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement