Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Show : October 15th 2010

167891012»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

deelite wrote: »
    Thanx for that as me granny used to say once there's boys there'll always be balls.:D

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

I A really depressing story and a FF broadcast does not constitute an interesting, imagination exciting period of time.

So true, the show lacks controversy. We need some of the heated debates that marked Gaybo's era. Admittedly the old debates were often about sex before marriage/working mothers/homosexuality etc. But surely we have plenty of ammunition for lively and controversial debate NOW !!:eek:
    The trouble is we have a presenter who is incapable of or afraid to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm sure you two are absolute stunners. And to the people who actually think it's funny to mock somebody for being paralysed, seriously get a focking grip. I hope no harm ever comes to you or yours, you mightn't find it quite so funny then.

The posters were mocking his hair not his disability :confused:

I don't get your point. Yeah he's in a wheelchair, what's that got to do with his hair?

I don't know why you're getting so worked up defending him.

I imagine that he would prefer he gets treated just like everyone else and not as a special person that no one can touch just because his legs don't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

seriously a low point if this is the best we can come up with as a "Celebrity".
    nuff said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Away for the weekend, missed the DLB show, should I bother with the replay? or just read the FF sh1te Noel Dempsey puts in my letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Astaluka

The moaning Irish tv punter... complain, moan, complain and moan again. Just change the channel if you dont like it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

560 posts aint bad for a show that everyone says they hate.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hunnybee

I watched the show on Friday night..was not a Ryan Tubridy lover before but I have to say I have come round..last year he was so jumpy, rushed everything, on edge. This year he seems more relaxed, although tries to get through too many interviews on the show..you are just getting interested in the person and then he wraps it up..so maybe less is more on that score. I dislike the house band..needs to loose them. I could'nt believe what I was seeing with Catherine Lynch- no words to describe that s**e..brought me back to the embarrassment that was Richie Kavanagh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Astaluka wrote: »
    The moaning Irish tv punter... complain, moan, complain and moan again. Just change the channel if you dont like it .
    Bill2673 wrote: »
    560 posts aint bad for a show that everyone says they hate.....

You pair don't get it.
    It's this thread that makes the LL a bit of craic, especially posting on it in Realtime watching the LL live. Some of the posts and comments and observations are priceless.
    Imagine if RTE did a rolling ticker on the bottom of the screen of humourous comments from punters who mail or text or tweet in during the LL show itself. It'd be priceless........a bit like this thread.:)

MidlandsM wrote: »
    You pair don't get it.
    It's this thread that makes the LL a bit of craic, especially posting on it in Realtime watching the LL live. Some of the posts and comments and observations are priceless.
    Imagine if RTE did a rolling ticker on the bottom of the screen of humourous comments from punters who mail or text or tweet in during the LL show itself. It'd be priceless........a bit like this thread.:)

yeah I'd defo tune in for that!!!!!

em......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yeah I'd defo tune in for that!!!!!
    em......

well to bat your own point back to you, if you dont like the LLS thread, then dont read it...

well to bat your own point back to you, if you dont like the LLS thread, then dont read it...

Yeah you're right.....:)

Sorry for being a smartass MidlandsM!

Yeah you're right.....:)

Sorry for being a smartass MidlandsM!

thats ok!

It's only a bit of craic is all - people take forums so seriously- I don't give a shyte.:D

MidlandsM wrote: »
    thats ok!

It's only a bit of craic is all - people take forums so seriously- I don't give a shyte.:D

Yeah I agree with ya......its a bit dis-spiriting how many threads on boards are fuelled by anger.....

Now I've heard it said, and I would agree, that a comment written down may appear a lot worse than if you said it to someone; since you can modify the meaning by how you say it, but can't do that on typewritten comments.

Nonetheless, I wish in general people would be a bit more lighthearted on this website......but thats for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

A good article in today's Irish Times about the LLS, although one thing it failed to mention was the blatent Fianna Fail bias.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/1021/1224281615549.html
    Painting the Late Late by numbers

A year ago it appeared to have been invigorated by a new host. Now RTÉ’s flagship show has slipped again into predictable mediocrity. But when it comes to chatshows, cash trumps quality, argues Shane Hegarty
    HERE’S A GAME you can play at home: make your own Late Late Show . You don’t have to have the guests, although there are weeks when you could probably rustle some of them up easily enough. No, you have only to guess at their categories. Because two months into its 48th season, it is clear that the Late Late ingredients are as unchanging as the Big Mac recipe.
    Last week’s show epitomised this. It was a Late Late Show by numbers: a comedian who’s been on too many times before (Katherine Lynch); an Irish television presenter flogging a show (also Katherine Lynch, as it happens, though Hector Ó h’Eochagáin was also there); a C-grade British celebrity (Carol Vorderman); and Chris de Burgh (how brightly he shines in the starry firmament is a subjective matter, not least to himself).
    There was also an interview with Liam Hayes, the former Meath footballer recently diagnosed with cancer. It was a moving interview but it also fitted in with the Late Late Show ’s unsavoury obsession with, and prurience about, other people’s grief. There would be more sincerity about the chatshow’s attitude if it didn’t indulge an apparent need to have a Disease of the Week.
    So here we are, almost 50 years into the show’s history – but, more pertinently, into the second year of Ryan Tubridy’s residency. It looked as if a new host would invigorate the format but it has once again settled into a dull pattern of bland followed by insipid followed by something interesting followed by cringe followed by Oliver Callan. The same guests. The same rhythm. The same show. Week after week. For two hours. For another year.
    Then Saturday night comes, and there’s another chatshow, presented in this case by Brendan O’Connor, spread over an hour and 20 minutes, but with guests of even lower stature. With respect to Paddy O’Gorman and Mary O’Rourke, where do they fit in with the “smart, sassy entertainment” trumpeted by Steve Carson, RTÉ’s director of programmes, TV? How is that line-up “fun and fresh”? It did have a punt at that this week, but the excruciating in-character Hardy Bucks appearance on last week’s show left viewers’ toes painfully curled for the rest of the weekend.
    A couple of years ago it looked as if it wouldn’t be like this. There was a new host of the Late Late on the way and Tubridy’s move meant that Saturday nights could be freed up for something else. It has long been clear that there are not enough guests for three and a half hours of RTÉ chatshows over two nights. But the schedule remained the same. It did so because cash trumps quality. All, of course, is based on the ratings. The Late Late Show still manages an average of over 650,000 viewers a week (with peaks and slumps depending on the guest), but it’s arguable that, in a narrow Irish TV landscape, the show is the beneficiary of a national habit, a compulsion built up over much of the population’s lifespans, to find out what’s next, even though we know most of the time now. While its eclectic nature is intrinsic to its identity, its predictability currently outweighs that characteristic significantly.
    Its bulk, though, now has everything to with its market value. The Late Late Show has a lucrative sponsorship and the expensive advertising slots. Both are precious at a time of declining revenue. RTÉ had originally sought a reported €1.2 million for annual sponsorship; instead Quinn Insurance agreed a two-year deal for an undisclosed sum.
    For its money, Quinn gets an average of eight “stings” per show, a presence on all trailers, a spot in the RTÉ Guide, ads on RTÉ Player, personal appearances by Tubridy at sponsors’ events, free tickets to the show and the chance to hobnob with guests in the Green Room.
    It also earns the chance to see Matt Cooper tear into Seán Quinn’s reputation during an April show, just before an ad break that begins with the sting for Quinn Insurance – but them’s the breaks.
    The Saturday Night Show has no such sponsor but it has an identity that attracts advertisers and viewers more easily than a movie, which is often cited as the only other Saturday-night option. The show also, importantly, has viewers – 300,000 of them. While this is nothing compared with the viewers pulled in by TV3 on Saturday nights at the moment (around half a million), it is significant. At €90,000 an episode, it is felt that this is the best value the station can get right now.
    Meanwhile, what’s happening on TV3? It has simply backed off on Friday nights, having learned the hard way that to go up against the Late Late – with The Dunphy Show – was foolhardy on two counts. First, Irish viewers are creatures of habit; and second, the guests aren’t there, or if they are the Late Late will go to war to get them.
    Instead, TV3 has benefited from ITV’s success with The X Factor , and its Irish contestants, by piping in hours of the show and its spin-offs across the Saturday and Sunday schedules. The channel is clobbering RTÉ in those time slots.
    As for the rest of the week, TV3 can’t bring itself to shut up. It has cornered the market in early-day babble. There is chat all morning ( Ireland AM , The Morning Show , Midday ) before it gives up and leaves the dead afternoon to tired imports such as Judge Judy and The Jeremy Kyle Show .
    However, RTÉ then quickly picks up the baton with chatfests Four Live and The Daily Show . These sometimes feature guests already seen on the Late Late or elsewhere, resulting in a steady murmur of familiar voices.
    Such daytime offerings may be mainly lifestyle shows but they are also variations on the chatshow. In a small country there just aren’t enough voices to make for an interesting chorus of people across what adds up to 35 hours of chat (one couldn’t even count the radio hours) on Irish television each week.
    Yet those at the top of the pile struggle to find quality. It seems clear that The Late Late Show will simply limp through the year, relying on the odd high note or talking point to obscure the filler that makes up most of its slots these days.
    It may make financial sense for the Late Late to lumber on across Friday night’s schedules, and its viewing figures are still high enough to confirm it as a national institution and bandage over its problems. Yet there can be no doubt now that it is once again the Lame Lame Show . Its new host was young and strong enough to add vigour, but its format has proven unable to adapt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Terrific article!

Sums it up perfectly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Excellent article
    bland followed by insipid followed by something interesting followed by cringe followed by Oliver Calla

Sounds like Shane Hegarty has been reading all my posts on here...
    *rings solicitor*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

AOwannabe wrote: »
    A good article in today's Irish Times about the LLS, although one thing it failed to mention was the blatent Fianna Fail bias.

I mentioned it in the comments but it was quickly removed, FF bias on RTE is a taboo subject.

• Advertisement

The Lame Lame Show ....with a equally lame and square presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'm no apologist for RTE, but for the Irish Times to be finger-pointing is a bit rich considering their falling circulation figures.

A lot of what Shane Hegarty says is true, but the easiest sport for any journalist to engage in is cripple-kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

How to you think he will handle Nigella Lawson tomorrow night?

Koloman wrote: »

oh good god, you're not serious ... I dont think he'll be getting up from behind the desk to welcome her..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Poly wrote: »
    I mentioned it in the comments but it was quickly removed, FF bias on RTE is a taboo subject.

It is, particularly on RTE. There was a blog post made on the Frontline page, following the grumbling of the FF gombeens. I posted a couple of paragraphs in a comment responding to it, nothing too controversial, praised PK for impartiality, and RTE radio 1 in general, but because I decided to mention O Connor's, Finucane's and Duffy's obvious FF bias in their choice and treatment of guests, they decided not to approve it.

Of course, for Finucane I added in brackets (four hours a week and half a million a year), and for O Connor (he of I'm Backing Bertie, and "all the ballsy guys are buying property right now fame).

I also might have mentioned Tubridy's obvious FF gene pool, and his inability to plumb any depths save those of tactless humour and inane commentary*. Oh, and that Brian Crowley had considerably less trouble in expressing his love for our lady than in actually telling us whether he was going for the presidency or not-and that Tubbers failed to ask him why he has one of the poorest attendance records of any MEP, and the least to show for his time there, why he hid away the FF logo on his election literature last time out, and why he voted to keep MEP expenses confidential.

As I say, I can't think why it didn't see the light of day.

*this is galling, I actually thought he'd make a good fist of it.

Oh, and that Brian Crowley had considerably less trouble in expressing his love for our lady than in actually telling us whether he was going for the presidency or not-and that Tubbers failed to ask him why he has one of the poorest attendance records of any MEP,

You're gonna win nothing attacking Crowley... Watching the interview the other night I half expected the bluebirds to fly through the window, it was certainly all sweetness and light.. BUT, nobody is gonna condone Tubridy attacking the guy in the wheelchair about his attendance at the European Parliament... It would be like driving a JCB over a squirrel.. no matter what party he was with.. So while it may have suited FF Tubridy to be so sycophantic, I'm not sure any other interviewer would have asked him the hard questions of Crowley either.

O'Connor - Brendan is a fairly lightweight "journalist" so I dont think he has enough credibility to be considered a FF hack.. He interviewed "Mammy" a few weeks ago, and while not giving her a particularly hard time, it was certainly not a FF broadcast..

Finucane - tbh, Marian has been missing for sooooo long this year, I cant remember which FF people she did in fact interview.. But I have found her objective (similar to Kenny) when she has actually turned up..

Tubirdy - we all know he's FF through and through from his UCD days, his brother's FF, uncles are FF etc etc.. but I had particular problems with his interviews with Willie O'Dea, Bertie Ahern and Enda Kenny.. Also, the audiences on those nights were also SERIOUSLY loaded, and in this world where people are lead like sheep, their reactions certainly would have persuaded the "sit on the fence" voter to sway towards FF....

Considering political discussion / interview is one of the core parts of the LLS, it didnt make sense for RTE to give it to a man who is so aligned to one political party..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Koloman wrote: »

Like a ten year old boy.

DLB is quite useless with women.

Advertisement