Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NAT with two consoles on the same connection

• 15-10-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭

Not sure if this has been asked before, or even if I'm in the right forum but here goes.

Myself and my housemates all have Xbox 360s, connected to the same UPC connection. It's mostly just two of us on at the same time but only one of us can get an Open NAT. I've gone through the settings on the gateway and it just seems that the gateway we have isn't compatible to have more than one 360 with Open NAT.

My question is, does anybody know a list of compatible routers that would allow this?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Well I'm on Eircom so not sure if that will make any difference, but all their Netopia/Motorola routers work fine for me with up to 3 Xboxes in the house online with open Nat and no lag. Their new Larger gray Modem by Zyxel are just useless in my experience. Have you tried logging in both the machines to the router through PPOE? That should automatically put the Nat for both consoles to 1. You'll have to get the log in name and password off UPC as I'm sure Eircom wouldn't be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

Yeah we've tried the PPPoE settings and UPnP and opening ports, even tried opening ports for both IP addresses and still the same thing. I've had a look around online and I think we just need to find a compatible router that's easy to hook up to the UPC connection if possible.

If Eircom had awesome broadband and decent pricing we could go with them but unfortunately they're a rip off :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Yeah we've tried the PPPoE settings and UPnP and opening ports, even tried opening ports for both IP addresses and still the same thing. I've had a look around online and I think we just need to find a compatible router that's easy to hook up to the UPC connection if possible.

If Eircom had awesome broadband and decent pricing we could go with them but unfortunately they're a rip off :(

Their newer modems are just as bad anyway. UPC isn't available in my area yet, they seem reluctant to leave the city. So as yet my options are limited. My package price isn't too bad considering I get 8Mb and free calls in the evenings. Haven't had any trouble with Eircom as of yet. (Touch wood)

Hope you get it sorted anyway, haven't used many modems out side of ISP provided ones, not with Live anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

UPC isn't available in my area yet, they seem reluctant to leave the city. So as yet my options are limited. My package price isn't too bad considering I get 8Mb and free calls in the evenings. Haven't had any trouble with Eircom as of yet. (Touch wood)

Yeah I don't see why UPC aren't expanding all over the place, their packages are awesome and their broadband is whopper. It's not really a huge issue, like we can still play and connect to parties and stuff, it'd just be nice to have us both with open NATs. Sound for the advice though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah I don't see why UPC aren't expanding all over the place, their packages are awesome and their broadband is whopper. It's not really a huge issue, like we can still play and connect to parties and stuff, it'd just be nice to have us both with open NATs. Sound for the advice though :o

Infrastructure is the problem , not all areas have fibre lines unfortunately.

We run 2 xboxs off the same UPC connection with no issues with NAT whatsoever, granted I'm on more often on my own but the one down stairs has been fired up to join me in rock band etc plenty of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭maninaskirt

I found this site helpful http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/faqs/63-two-xboxes-using-one-router-internet-connection, I use a Dlink DSL-2740B with 3 Xbox's all with open NAT. HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Me and my housemate run two xboxs in the same room (slight advantage in game) with no problems at all with nat

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Not sure if this has been asked before, or even if I'm in the right forum but here goes.

Myself and my housemates all have Xbox 360s, connected to the same UPC connection. It's mostly just two of us on at the same time but only one of us can get an Open NAT. I've gone through the settings on the gateway and it just seems that the gateway we have isn't compatible to have more than one 360 with Open NAT.

My question is, does anybody know a list of compatible routers that would allow this?

Thanks in advance :)

this might not be what you want but what i done is got a netgear switch for 40 quid in pcworld. you out the switch between the modem and router and connect the xbox's to the switch. no need to connect them to the router and you will have a direct connection to the internet and no problems with ports or clashing ip address's or anything of that nature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I've got three xboxes connected up through a linksys wrt54gl router running tomato firmware. All run open NAT. Highly recommended router and cheap too, try ebay for one. Just make sure it's a DSL model, not the ADSL version which I have.

Advertisement