If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG50PX990

Options
  • 15-10-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Have you any info on the PX990 (50") from LG? I was gearing up to buy the VT20 from Panasonic but afraid the problems with viewing the football has put me off it so looking for the best alternative. Any ideas? Looking to go Plasma this time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Chris.

Unfortunately not one that has come up on our radar so far.

We may stock this but as yet I don't have any info from the purchasing guys as to when and an idea of a price.

I don't suspect that the LG will handle sports much better than the Panasonic unless LG have really gone to town as the picture on the Pana is fantastic.

What did you not like about the Pana ?

If we get any news, we'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

What did you not like about the Pana ?

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the reply. The Panasonic seems to have issues with displaying fast moving sports. Going by users on other forums football has quite a big issue. Some put this down to Sky broadcasting at 50hz and the TV converting to 60hz but having problems doing so. An example would be during a kick out when the camera pans quickly past the half way line 3 half way lines are visible. I read countless posts on this, with some users having the TV's replaced but same issue, however there are a few (very few) that say they dont notice, but also they "dont watch much sport". Now on sources other than broadcast tv the tv is supposed to be fantastic.

Have to say I was disappointed by this issue as for everything else the TV seems amazing (note : havent view the tv yet myself). So I'm trying to have a backup plan, a TV that I could get if the VT20 didnt satisfy me. The issue doesnt appear on other Plasmas for sport. Some people got Samsungs to replace the VT20 and the issue was gone etc.

Anyways, I plan on viewing the VT20 when I make the trip into Belfast to you guys to get my own opinion. Is there any way of getting a look at some football from Sky on the TV when I get in? Believe me, I would be delighted if the issue wasnt there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

<snip>

Hi Chris.

We do have some football footage recorded from the world cup last year, but it's all in HD.

We'll certainly pop that onto the TV if you like or we have standard freesat signal and blu ray all hooked up.

Cheers

Dave

Any word on this unit yet? Quite tempted by it. Seems to have started appearing on various UK sites so just wondering if you guys got any fresh info?

Thanks

• Advertisement

*bump* :o

Just a wee bump :D

Hi Chris.

The latest on this is that LG are so heavily back ordered that we may not try and stock this one as they can't guarantee that we'll get the stock that we need.

I can special order one, but they can't guarantee us stock before Christmas.

Not great news I'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Chris.

The latest on this is that LG are so heavily back ordered that we may not try and stock this one as they can't guarantee that we'll get the stock that we need.

I can special order one, but they can't guarantee us stock before Christmas.

Not great news I'm afraid.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave, been following user reports on the TV and there seems to be quite a few issues with brightness fluctuations and line bleed with it so wasnt sure what to do anymore. Anyways, I'm on the lookout for a good 50" Plasma. The PX990 walked away with an award in the latest supertest in WHF, but has issues. The VT20 from Panasonic also has issues with 50hz broadcasts among other things so that put me off.

So.... any suggestions?

Also, the parents are thinking of getting a 42" for the sitting room, they had looked at a Plasma but their sitting room is quite bright so I think the best option would be LCD. They'd be looking for something around 500-600.

Cheers.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

chris_ie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Dave, been following user reports on the TV and there seems to be quite a few issues with brightness fluctuations and line bleed with it so wasnt sure what to do anymore. Anyways, I'm on the lookout for a good 50" Plasma. The PX990 walked away with an award in the latest supertest in WHF, but has issues. The VT20 from Panasonic also has issues with 50hz broadcasts among other things so that put me off.

So.... any suggestions?

Also, the parents are thinking of getting a 42" for the sitting room, they had looked at a Plasma but their sitting room is quite bright so I think the best option would be LCD. They'd be looking for something around 500-600.

Cheers.

Chris,

We are working behind the scenes I promise you ( I know it does not look like it!) to try & find out what the position on the 50PX990 - so as soon as I hear we will pop up a post.

You are probably right on the LCD for the folks, generally Plasma does not like bright reflective environments - I would love to recommend the 42PFL5405, but stock is really short - but the spec is magnificent for the spend, it's just slightly out of budget at €649.99 including delivery & 2 year warranty - it is full HD, MPEG4 and best of all is 100Hz.

Keep me posted if this is interesting for you..

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Chris,

We are working behind the scenes I promise you ( I know it does not look like it!) to try & find out what the position on the 50PX990 - so as soon as I hear we will pop up a post.

You are probably right on the LCD for the folks, generally Plasma does not like bright reflective environments - I would love to recommend the 42PFL5405, but stock is really short - but the spec is magnificent for the spend, it's just slightly out of budget at €649.99 including delivery & 2 year warranty - it is full HD, MPEG4 and best of all is 100Hz.

Keep me posted if this is interesting for you..

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,

Cheers for the reply. Nicola got back to me on the 42" Philips also :D, they seem in popular demand alright! I've suggested it to Dad so he's thinking about it at the minute. On the PX990, I'm keeping an eye on another forum for LG's reaction to some of the issues its having, may be related to an early batch or something, not sure. We're happy enough holding out anyways, maybe even waiting for the 2011 Plasma's to come out.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.