Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music streaming in Ireland

Options
  • 15-10-2010 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the reason why Spotify, Last FM (not all features, such as mobile apps function) and Pandora are unavailable in Ireland? I do access some of these sites via a UK-Proxy but I'd love to have the full set of features available, Spotify in particular with it's iphone integration.

I know their absence is due to licensing laws, but since they are available in many other EU countries could somebody shed some light on what Irish laws are preventing them and why, Is there any services on par with those mentioned above that work in Ireland? I'm also curious as to why this country is so strict in regard to these services.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bloomfield

I was just looking at the music streaming service we7, which seems to be licensed to stream to the UK and Ireland - and it has an iPhone app for mobile integration.

It seems to operate along a similar model to Spotify, in that there's a free service that's advert funded, then a €4.99 subscription price for listening without ads on your computer, and a €9.99 subscription price for mobile access on you iPhone/Adroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

It's not that our country is strict on such services, our laws are fine as far as I know. It's just that were such a small market that we're not as big of a priority as other markets so it takes a while to get to us.
    At the moment it's only available in countries that all have significantly bigger markets than us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

bloomfield wrote: »
    I was just looking at the music streaming service we7, which seems to be licensed to stream to the UK and Ireland - and it has an iPhone app for mobile integration.

It seems to operate along a similar model to Spotify, in that there's a free service that's advert funded, then a €4.99 subscription price for listening without ads on your computer, and a €9.99 subscription price for mobile access on you iPhone/Adroid.

Thanks for this, it's definitely what I was after. I'll continue trialling this, might make the investment in the full version/app.

Advertisement