Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gal to Tuam Traffic

Options
  • 15-10-2010 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey All, I am starting a job in Galway and I believe the traffic up and back to Tuam side is mental - is this true? My hours would be 8/9 to 5/6 ish, can anyone tell me if I am as well turning this down and staying Sligo side for work? Its a lil more money BUT i don;t want my personal time gone for that - more to life I think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Claregalway is the bottleneck.
    I'm sure other can give you an estimation of travel time in the morning/evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

hanns.s, if your travelling through tuam it going to take time, claregalway will take time and then you'll have another at the tuam rd roundabout and when you get there the city is a bottleneck at the times your looking at. Best bet would be to take a trip at them times on a monday and wednesday to check the traffic, friday wont tell you much.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭steamboat

Tuam to Galway North (Parkmore/Ballybrit/Ballybane/Merview etc) via Claregalway about 45mins leaving at 8. Add on another 15mins once the clocks change (longer tailback at claregalway as many drivers tend not to use rat-runs in the dark)
    If you need to cross the bridge - NUIG/Dangan/Salthill etc - you could add up to half an hour on to that.
    Similar jorney times in the evening.
    Also, the Big Dig in Tuam could occasionally add another 5 or 10 mins to the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I work in Knocknacarra, from Tuam to work, it takes me 1 hr 15 with time for 5-10mins for a fag before I start work.

About an hour to get home.

It's about to get a whole lot worst for a short period with the works going on the bridge in Claregalway which should be half finished by now but has not started yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Wow. Turning down a job cause it interferes with your personal life. The economy must be on the up again.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Wow. Turning down a job cause it interferes with your personal life. The economy must be on the up again.:pac:

Not necessarily - if you make an extra €50 a week but spend 10 hours in your car each week it may not make economic sense.

I was blown away at how good the road in to Sligo is despite the fact that it only gets a fraction of the traffic Tuam-Galway gets.

Work out how long extra you are going to spend and weigh this up with the extra cash you might make. Also bear in mind the Tuam-Galway road was closed at Claregalway for a time last year (albeit exceptional flooding) and the fact that it may take even longer during certain times of the year (frosty weather, race week etc). Let us know what you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hanns.s

Thanks all, not sure if this will post right, new to boards. I will turn down a job if i am sitting in my car longer than what i am now, i am working and the road i travel was very very VERY bad last winter, both for floods and frost, i was thinking the N17 would be a better road. Now I just have to wait and see what I will do, they don't need an answer yet, replacing somone so I have another bit to decide - there are a line waiting for the job and I am top of the list - lucky me! Thanks again all - appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can advise on the estimated travel time between Galway and Tuam given that a couple of years have passed since the last post. I've heard work was done around the ClareGalway area but like the OP I'm considering a move and would appreciate any up to date information anyone could give me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Galway to Tuam in the morning is pretty handy once you get on to the Tuam Rd as the majority of traffic would be going the opposite way. 30 minutes would see you in Tuam. What side of the city would you be coming from? The coming across the city would be the time consuming part.

• Advertisement

Thanks MarsBar, I haven't moved yet but have somewhere to stay in the Salthill area for a start so probably there initially. Sounds manageable so from what you're saying, really keen to move up but want to be based in Galway for sure :)

I'm not familiar with Galway City in the morning or the evening too well or Salthill but I imagine getting from Salthill to the Tuam Rd and vice versa will be the pain in the face!

Maybe asking in the City forum would be better.

Will do, thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

northgirl wrote: »
    Thanks MarsBar, I haven't moved yet but have somewhere to stay in the Salthill area for a start so probably there initially. Sounds manageable so from what you're saying, really keen to move up but want to be based in Galway for sure :)

Getting across Galway between 4pm & 6.30pm is an utter pain. If you're working in Tuam and really want to live in Galway I suggest picking somewhere on the east side of town e.g. Mervue, Renmore, Ballybrit.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

getting from salt hill to tuam will be a complete nightmare... you have multiple bottlenecks the whole way. I actually find it easier sometimes to take the headword road and then head to belcare way, but the roads are not good. Claregalway is woeful rush hour, tuam road junction nightmare, quintenciennary bridge nightmare. You will be hitting all of these points. I would honestly get somewhere in the east side of the city, by having to cross town you will find yourself living in your car.

Thanks for all the replies :)
    I drove it earlier this week and it's no picnic - will have to think about it a bit!

Thanks for all the replies :)
    I drove it earlier this week and it's no picnic - will have to think about it a bit!

What route have you taken, I can probably give you an alternative.

i took the direct one, headford road is it? that would be great, thanks.

i took the direct one, headford road is it? that would be great, thanks.

I usually to Tuam by the Monivea Rd. There are three turns you can take, the easiest route to drive is probably to go to the Athenry - Tuam Rd which will bring you to Annagh Cross (crossing the N63 - Rosocmmon road) and into Tuam by the golf club.

You can also turn left at Cregmore Park golf club or just past Laffertys pub - which will bring you onto the Roscommon Rd either side of Lackagh village. From there you can turn left to go back to the N17 (might not be the easiest to turn right onto) or turn right to continue to Annagh Cross and come into Tuam by the golf club.

The direct one would be Tuam road and out the N17. The Headford Road one means you have to turn off and go through the back roads.

Turning right off the N63 would be pretty awkward. I was only thinking of that yesterday when I passed it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the route suggestions. It was the N17 I took now I think of it. Will see how it goes I guess.

Advertisement