Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom CEO Donovan unloads on Department

Options
  • 15-10-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

TIF Conference: Chairman Paul Donovan's address (Video)

Minister Ryan, who is considered by some to be the most tech savvy in Cabinet will be disappointed to hear that
    "There has never been a greater need for a champion for all aspects of the digital economy within government."
    or that there should be
    "encouragement in infrastructure sharing that goes beyond a warm feeling"
    Other areas of complaint
    • lack of ambition
    • lack of direction - financial and political
    • lack of e-services
    • lack of innovation in spectrum allocation and pricing
    • lack of investment incentives
    • lack of specific subsidy for rural areas
    • lack of ict to improve public service productivity.

Nothing new to members of this forum but the central point was that universal service won't happen without "some form of funding" and that "digital divide is essentially a political issue".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

clohamon wrote: »

The minister who is considered by some to be the most tech savvy in Cabinet will be disappointed to hear that

You are talking about Minister Ryan I suppose as that description doesn't gel for me. He's clueless and almost the worst minister ever in living memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭rob808

bealtine wrote: »
    You are talking about Minister Ryan I suppose as that description doesn't gel for me. He's clueless and almost the worst minister ever in living memory.
    I wish he just get the push and get his over paid pension good luck good by minister Ryan one can only dream it will happen.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Donovan had his ass handed to him by Shane O'Neill from UPC and rightly so. The man is steering the Marie Celeste.

The new entrant market is investing in excess of 700 Million without state intervention. Intervention is NOT needed. Whist we may have some 'issues' with state policy focus, funding is not an option. Competition is.

Coming from a mobile background both in Ireland, UK, and the middle East Paulie should know that such speeches are about as effective as having Crystal Swing do the internal marketing for Next Gen Broadband :) ....... One must be at the races to be taken seriously.

As for the TIF Conference. Usual bad value. Ryan, Kroes, and O'Neill. Could have been done by 11:30/11:45 and back at your desk. Instead of searching for some form of entertainment on the BlackBerry to stop the eyelids from connecting through the boredom of some other telco tosspot marketing his wares.

The disconnect from real business here seems only to be realised by a few companies and lobbies. TIF isn't one of them.

Get a grip people.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Tom Young wrote: »
    The new entrant market is investing in excess of 700 Million without state intervention. Intervention is NOT needed.
    With respect to the mainly rural areas that have only tasted the joys of three's so-called internet service, do you see where the competition is going to come from, especially with no state intervention?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, but eircom are not thinking of rural. They want a present of €700M to compete with UPC. Which is a waste of €700M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

With respect to the mainly rural areas that have only tasted the joys of three's so-called internet service, do you see where the competition is going to come from, especially with no state intervention?

I have to agree with this.

No traditional telco is going to fill the void purely on an economic basis. Not Eircom, not UPC, not anyone.

That's why, two years after we were promised DSL by eircom on their famous list of exchanges to be upgraded, we're still not able to get it because, surprise, surprise, the exchange hasn't been upgraded. Never mind NGN, we can't get a 1MB line! :(

I hate 3G dongles but given a choice between one of those and dial-up... but I shouldn't be forced to use them. I want a basic DSL line dammit so I can actually watch videos online and use skype without sound artefacts!

Why is this so hard? I'm only 1km from our exchange *grumble*.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

2 channels of ISDN can be better than 3G. But eircom insists on charging it at voice rates. Yet Mobile data uses 100x to 300x traffic at x150 to x600 cost of same revenue of Voice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

Tom Young wrote: »
    The new entrant market is investing in excess of 700 Million without state intervention. Intervention is NOT needed. Whist we may have some 'issues' with state policy focus, funding is not an option. Competition is.

Does UPC have plans for universal NGA ?

Advertisement