Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Vectra B Radiator Fan not working

Options
  • 15-10-2010 1:21pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Just got a 00 Vectra B last weekend with 70k on the clock and im very happy with it so far. I noticed that when idling it runs a bit warm so I checked to see if the radiator fan was working and it wasnt.. Hopefully it just needs a sensor, is there any way to force the fan on to check if its working? Or should i head to the breakers and get a complete fan / sensor?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

conzymaher wrote: »
    Just got a 00 Vectra B last weekend with 70k on the clock and im very happy with it so far. I noticed that when idling it runs a bit warm so I checked to see if the radiator fan was working and it wasnt.. Hopefully it just needs a sensor, is there any way to force the fan on to check if its working? Or should i head to the breakers and get a complete fan / sensor?

Thanks

If it's a 1.6 petrol, get it booked in RIGHT NOW for a timing belt and tensioner change. If it's a 1.8 or a diesel, still do it soon as you can. But if it's a 1.6, I wouldn't take it anywhere until the timing belt's been done.

Regarding the fan, get a new one. Your local motor factors will get you a pattern part no bother. You've no idea if one from a breakers is working properly or not.

And get the timing belt done. Seriously.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I knew the timing belt needed to be done when I bought it. Got a quote of € 310 which seems reasonable enough.. After checking the service manual it says its not due until 80k but I would rather do it sooner rather than later..

Not exactly loaded at the minute so doing timing belt AND a new fan isnt really an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Well, if it's a 1.6, try finding one that doesn't already have a snapped timing belt in a scrapyard. I had one that went at less than 30k genuine miles. I'd be surprised if more of the Motor's heads haven't come across the same to be honest. I ended up paying 3 times what it would have cost for a 1.8 engine just to get a 1.6 that I could strip the head off to rebuild my own. And that was back in 2000, when the car was just 4 years old. Hens teeth.

Just passing on some friendly advice. Best of luck with the car.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks for the advice, was going to wait a few weeks but I really should get it done asap. Already had a car disaster this year (2002 1.9 dci Laguna turbo AND gearbox failure)

Any other general tips? Its well due a service so I'm going to do that tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

conzymaher wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, was going to wait a few weeks but I really should get it done asap. Already had a car disaster this year (2002 1.9 dci Laguna turbo AND gearbox failure)

Any other general tips? Its well due a service so I'm going to do that tomorrow.

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?200968-Vectra-B-Radiator-Fan-not-working

• Advertisement
Advertisement