Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design - Add Content

Options
  • 15-10-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭

I am developing a website for my neighbors business, its my first stab at a bit of web design so its pretty basic. (He wants it basic anyway)

Its basically a list of the products he sells and contact details for himself, no ecommerce at all.

He needs to be able to add and remove products to/from the website after I am finished as his stock changes monthly.

What is the best way for me to allow him to do this?

He's not that tech savvy so the simplest way would be best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

A CMS will work.
    I'm a fan of WordPress so I am going to recommend it. I think the Custom Post Type feature could be very useful for a non-tech savvy maintainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

daymobrew. i would consider them bit complex for the end user and the developer in question, considering he's new, installing and messing with php?

this could be suitable
    http://www.cushycms.com

Placebo wrote: »
    daymobrew. i would consider them bit complex for the end user and the developer in question, considering he's new, installing and messing with php?
    OP said s/he is new to web design. PHP experience not mentioned - though you might be right.

I agree that CushyCMS is easy-to-use for the end user though I'd be concerned that it would put a lot of onus on end user to keep a good format.

When I suggested the Custom Post Types I assumed that the product listing would have a product image and description. CPT could provide fields to prevent end user mistakes and confusion.
    If the product listing is much simpler then CPT would be overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

yea the product listing is A picture, description and price.

Had a look at cushy and will check out CPT too.

Cheers for the replies.

Also, can ye point me in the direction of some php methods that you'd recommend? (tutorials or whatnot) as its something I wanna learn and can only learn by doing.... cheers.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Also, can ye point me in the direction of some php methods that you'd recommend? (tutorials or whatnot) as its something I wanna learn and can only learn by doing.... cheers.
    CushyCMS does not need PHP knowledge - you just assign certain CSS classes to you html elements.

CPT definitely requires PHP knowledge - I haven't created a CPT yet but I have a site that it is appropriate for and I will be using that as an opportunity to learn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement