Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade Urban Myths - Mortal Kombat

• 15-10-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Came across this on the video gametrailers website. Very interesting stuff.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-4-pop-fiction/701748

Did any of you guys ever come across Reptile in the arcade version of MK?

I didnt, as I dont have the skill to get two flawless victories without blocking:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I saw that done a few times but it's a rarity, I remember many days in the arcade attempting 2 flawless victories on the level with the raised platform and shodows floating across the moon.
    There are many of these myths/legends from the old arcade days. One that sticks out is in Street Fighter II when the player beat the whole game up to Sagat with Ryu then Akuma would appear and battle on Bisons stage, now I never knew how this was achieved some said it was to get all perfects against all opponents but I have done that several times and I never got Akuma:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 whaturmuva

I've never had it happen but I've seen many videos of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pity the series sucks then.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Ah CiDeRmAn MK isnt that bad now:pac:

I could name a lot worse beat em ups

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

djsim101 wrote: »
    I could name a lot worse beat em ups

That statement had better not include DinoRex :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Oh good god now, please not that cough game cough

I was thinking maybe Ultraman or what about Shaq Fu, now thats a game and a half:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

What about the Sheng Long rumours? :D Every 15 year old kid at the time in school would be spreading vicious rumours that their mates knew how to fight him in SF2 :rolleyes: Sadly, also being 15 at the time I'd believe them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

EnterNow wrote: »
    What about the Sheng Long rumours? :D Every 15 year old kid at the time in school would be spreading vicious rumours that their mates knew how to fight him in SF2 :rolleyes: Sadly, also being 15 at the time I'd believe them :o

Ah the Sheng Long rumours good stuff that was.
    There was also the oppurtunity to fight Akuma in either Champion edition or Hyper Fighting when using Ryu never happened for me though.
    Another cool thing about Street Fighter II was when using Guile against Zangief you could do a flash kick using the two medium buttons and Guild would freeze upside down so that Zangief couldn't hit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Akuma was a secret boss that could be fought in Super Street Fighter II Turbo if you got to Bison without losing a round.

MK had enough easy AI exploits that getting to fight Reptile was easily done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Remember playing Reptile on in an arcade when it came out.
    For that to happen the developer's head would sometimes pop out on screen (Tobias or something he was called" and he would call out toasty or something.
    Hitting some button (it's a long time ago :) )enabled you to fight Reptile who was fairly easy to beat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I remember everyone speculating (or telling! ) how to do Ken/Ryu's Orange fireball... Turns out it was just a bug in the game that caused it to appear.

(But then they made it a real move in Super Street Fighter 2)

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Remember playing Reptile on in an arcade when it came out.
    For that to happen the developer's head would sometimes pop out on screen (Tobias or something he was called" and he would call out toasty or something.
    Hitting some button (it's a long time ago :) )enabled you to fight Reptile who was fairly easy to beat..

Incorrect, you fought noob saibot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard a myth that MK2 was better than Street Fighter 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Ha ha Only just got MK2 delivered the other day.Playing the crap out of it...managed to get all the cheats and systematically going thru them in the next few days

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Now thats just crazy talk!! It's just more fun:D

Myself and a house mate spent a week going through every characters Finishing moves, Babalities and Friendlys. Some of them are pretty damn hard to do! Especially after a few beers.

All in all it's a hell of a lot of fun and as I've said in previous posts, imo, it's far cooler upper cutting someone's head off or slicing them in two with your hat then standing still with arms folded and hair blowing in the wind. :pac:

LoGiE wrote: »
    it's far cooler upper cutting someone's head off or slicing them in two with your hat then standing still with arms folded and hair blowing in the wind. :pac:

Ah, but :D doesn't equal :cool:

You have to remember in the 90's, it was Van Dam territory, and collness always won out :pac:

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah, but :D doesn't equal :cool:

You have to remember in the 90's, it was Van Dam territory, and collness always won out :pac:

Street Fighter (Check)
    Van Damme (Check)

Coolness? (ERROR)

;)

I'm sorry , I don't recognise that piece of software. Van Damn belongs in 90's movies with copius amounts of cool cheese that somehow make you want to learn martial arts after watching them :p He does NOT belong in a video game :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just never liked MK, it's about as deep as a paddling pool. Once you learn the moves and a combo it's all you need while street fighter keeps on giving and you'll never master it truly.

• Advertisement

Just never liked MK, it's about as deep as a paddling pool. Once you learn the moves and a combo it's all you need while street fighter keeps on giving and you'll never master it truly.

I think thats a little harsh. When you've played it as much as I have there's plenty of different strategies. Playing against another experienced player is great craic.

I love Street fighter as well so I guess it's just down to personal taste.

I think thats a little harsh. When you've played it as much as I have there's plenty of different strategies. Playing against another experienced player is great craic.

I actually don't think it's a little harsh. I've gotten into fighting games big time recently and despite still not being good at them and out of the loop for the last year I understand how they work an awful lot better now. By people that know fighting games MK is seen as an absolute joke and seen as one of the worst fighting games ever made and in my opinion they are on the ball. I'm not saying it's not fun because with a few mates you can have a good bit of fun with it and I'm not one to talk, I enjoy a bit of 2 player Dino Rex which is one of the worst fighters ever made. MK is really only good for dumb fun with some mates. It's terribly broken and in balanced and there's really not much to the tactics at all other than spam fireballs to open up your opponent. There's a lot more to Street Fighter and you can pretty much play it indefinitely with some equally dedicated friends while with MK some one will quickly learn a cheesey tactic that is impossible to get around and ruin it.

If you want to see how deep SF is check out Dave Sirlins videos on how to play it properly. MK hasn't got anywhere near the depth or premutations to it.

Still if you want some casual fun MK is alright but SF is so much better it's not even funny.

Funnily enough the new MK game is actually looking ok and could be brilliant.

:(

[HUG]MK2[/HUG]

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I love Street fighter as well so I guess it's just down to personal taste.

LORD no.

As any type of competitive game, the MK series is an unbalanced pile of crap.

But it's honest unbalanced crap, the dev team always said in a choice between a character doing something cool or keeping the game balanced, then coolness would win out.

This is why MK has been riding SF's coat tails to this very day.

Advertisement