Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot put name/ student number on in-class test.

Options
  • 15-10-2010 1:57pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In MATH10040 I forgot to put my name and student number and tutorial day on my in-class quiz. I only realised this once I arrived home.

What should I do? I e-mailed the lecturer as soon as I arrived home, describing which exam that I got (there were 4 or 5 different types) and that I used pencil!

I know it's an incredibly stupid thing to do, and I don't normally do it it's just I feel sick today and it seems to be putting me off a bit. Is it likely that I will lose all the marks going for it as a result? It would be a shame as I spent a long time studying for this in the past week.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You will fail and made to spend the rest of your third level education in Blanchardstown IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

With nothing to link you to the paper, how's anyone to know for sure that it's your paper? You might get lucky with an understanding lecturer, but "expect nothing" is my advice. It's first year, so you just have to pass, the marks don't count towards your degree GPA anyway.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

These things happen OP, lecturers are reasonable people and I don't imagine you'll have to pay any very harsh penalties. If there's one paper without a name, and one student saying they forgot to put a name, then I don't imagine a lecturer is going to invent a problem where there isn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Dr Osburn right?

He's quite nice - call into him - Math Science, 2nd floor of the hub behind the wooden doors.

He'll hopefully be understanding enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the answers guy!

He replied very promptly to my e-mail, said it was no problem at all and that he had already found my quiz and to have a good weekend!

He's a really nice guy!

Thanks again for the answers - sorry about the silly thread, I was a bit panicked :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've found 99% of all my dealings with lecturers and staff in UCD to be extremely pleasant. Glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Your situation was a lot easier to resolve than it could have been, if you were in a large class or if your teacher had one of those power complexes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I know I got very lucky! Dr. Osburn is an extremely helpful and approachable person though, I wish all my lecturers were like him!

The class is large enough, nearly 200 in it as far as I know. Th. E is usually pretty darn full for every lecture (probably as he doesn't upload the notes online!). Probably not large by university standard, my Economics lecture has a huge number of people registered for it - which is about twice the actual attendance at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Out of curiousity, is that Maths through Arts that has over 200 people enrolled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

dyl10 wrote: »
    Maths through Arts

Paint by numbers??

• Advertisement

Actually 200 is an over-exaggeration, I checked on BB today and 139 people are registered. I'm sure the class is a mixture of Actuarial, (Maths) Science and Arts students, as well as those taking it as an elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Actually 200 is an over-exaggeration, I checked on BB today and 139 people are registered. I'm sure the class is a mixture of Actuarial, (Maths) Science and Arts students, as well as those taking it as an elective.
    Just out of interest, how do you check the number of people registered for a module?

Ruski wrote: »
    Just out of interest, how do you check the number of people registered for a module?

What I did is go to Blackboard, go to Tools on the left menu, then press on Register. A search bar will come up, leave it blank and press Search. It should display the name of everyone registered for the module. Look at the bottom of the page, it will say something like "Showing x of y", y is the amount of people registered.

It isn't always that informative though. I used it to figure out how many people are in my Microeconomics lecture, but it displayed over 1000 names, but that's because there's two offerings of microeconomics in Semester 1 and another offering of it in Semester 2 - so it looks odd!

What I did is go to Blackboard, go to Tools on the left menu, then press on Register. A search bar will come up, leave it blank and press Search. It should display the name of everyone registered for the module. Look at the bottom of the page, it will say something like "Showing x of y", y is the amount of people registered.

It isn't always that informative though. I used it to figure out how many people are in my Microeconomics lecture, but it displayed over 1000 names, but that's because there's two offerings of microeconomics in Semester 1 and another offering of it in Semester 2 - so it looks odd!
    Haha that's amazing! So UCD provides an open stalking tool for finding people in your lectures. I'm pretty sure I'm on the last page for just about every module I'm registered for.

Haha that's amazing! So UCD provides an open stalking tool for finding people in your lectures. I'm pretty sure I'm on the last page for just about every module I'm registered for.

And you can e-mail everyone that is registered to your module, I think. Imagine me sending an e-mail to everyone in my economics lecture to tell them I'm bored!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I miss Math lecturers who speak fluent English :(

And you can e-mail everyone that is registered to your module, I think. Imagine me sending an e-mail to everyone in my economics lecture to tell them I'm bored!!
    Which lecture would you say is bigger, your economics or Programming? I know Programming is huge and you could get loads of replies from there.

Which lecture would you say is bigger, your economics or Programming? I know Programming is huge and you could get loads of replies from there.

I've never thought of programming as being that big - but now that I think of it, Th. B is quite large!

I'd say Economics is far bigger though. I think if everyone showed up, they would nearly fill Th. L - which is the largest lecture theatre in UCD, by a long shot!

I'm not sure though! It's hard to tell exactly as there is more than one helping of Economics so there is no easy way of determining how many take it at the same time as I do.

I've never thought of programming as being that big - but now that I think of it, Th. B is quite large!

I'd say Economics is far bigger though. I think if everyone showed up, they would nearly fill Th. L - which is the largest lecture theatre in UCD, by a long shot!

I'm not sure though! It's hard to tell exactly as there is more than one helping of Economics so there is no easy way of determining how many take it at the same time as I do.
    Actually, thinking about it you're right. Economics is taken by Actuary, Business/Economics/Law, Arts and Social Science students, including people that take it as an elective. Also I'd say it has a far better attendance than Programming. Loads of people don't bother going to it since you can just read a book on C++ and ace the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

257 registered for our maths module, i counted 23 in for this mornings 9am lecture

On a stalker/voyeur related note, if you go here you can see the titles of stuff in the print queue along with the associated student number

• Advertisement

I'm doing an extra elective in statistics, which is the one that 2nd year Social Science do, and as many people were finding the lab difficult, the marks for it were cancelled, and a greater weighting goes to the mid-semester homework. 5 people, including me, turned up to the lab on Monday. There's usually about 30.

Edit: The above link is great! I especially love "Energy and the irish state FINISHED!!!!.doc"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Chet T16 wrote: »
    257 registered for our maths module, i counted 23 in for this mornings 9am lecture

On a stalker/voyeur related note, if you go here you can see the titles of stuff in the print queue along with the associated student number

If your any way hacker inclined, the things you can see and do on UCD's network is incredible (But illegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Only 7 people registered to one of my semester 2 modules (so far). I can imagine every lecture being like one of those days after some student piss-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Jack Bracken

Why am I not surprised your mind immediately jumped to "How can I use this to stlak people?" Alex? :>

Why am I not surprised your mind immediately jumped to "How can I use this to stlak people?" Alex? :>
    You know me too well, Jack. Also what else could it be used for?

Advertisement