Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby on Board Signs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Personally I hate those signs with a passion. I also hate people who put cuddly soft toys on the back window of their car too, put bumper stickers, furry dice etc.
    Back to the signs though:o I am going to drive safely because I do not want to be in a crash and hurt myself and selfish and all as it may be I am going to put my safety first and foremost and so by default all those that have kids in their car are going to be as safe as they would be with or without having displayed the fact that they have reproduced.
    Incidently some of the worst driving I have seen on the roads came from a woman who had such a sign up in her car and yet hadn't placed her children either in car seats or put seat belts around them. Said mother was also drinking a coffee, applying makeup and using some hair iron device and she wanted other drivers to be safe because of her kids:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Personally I hate those signs with a passion. I also hate people who put cuddly soft toys on the back window of their car too, put bumper stickers, furry dice etc.
    Back to the signs though:o I am going to drive safely because I do not want to be in a crash and hurt myself and selfish and all as it may be I am going to put my safety first and foremost and so by default all those that have kids in their car are going to be as safe as they would be with or without having displayed the fact that they have reproduced.
    Incidently some of the worst driving I have seen on the roads came from a woman who had such a sign up in her car and yet hadn't placed her children either in car seats or put seat belts around them. Said mother was also drinking a coffee, applying makeup and using some hair iron device and she wanted other drivers to be safe because of her kids:rolleyes:
    Did you take her numberplate and contact the police / trafficwatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

fenris wrote: »
    When I see those signs I just take it as a clue that puts the car into the accident waiting to happen category as the person has chosen to restrict their vision (notice the higher frequency of dents in the back of such cars) and is potentially cooing or faffing with a baby on the move.
    I expect the driver to do something stupid so I am not inclined to let them pull out in front of me or give any leeway when changing lanes etc. it is strict Rules of the Road as I don't want them in a position near me or my kids where they can put us at risk, they can have their accident/drama behind me.

Bingo, more often than not the "Baby on Board" sign just signals that the driver can and will behave like an idiot, but they think it's ok because they have kids. I've never felt the urge to crash into another vehicle, and a sign in someone's back window won't change that.

Just in case this sounds like a maniac driver rant, I'm an expectant father and my OH floated the idea of these signs recently - didn't get very far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

I've just read thru this whole thread and never thought these signs upset people so much! I've seen them on cars and pre pregnancy all they ever made me think was, wow, bet the inside of your car smells like crap:D

when hubby found out our news the biggest thing for us was getting rid of our car, our 'baby' and pride n joy, for a sensible, 5 door with a big boot!!!
    we did(and still do) own a highly modified, japanese performance car, you think a sign made people look at you differently, try a bumper cable tied together!!!!
    everyone on the road stayed well back, even my mum on one rare trip to the shops with me noticed it, everyone thought we were yobs, even tho we both have very good jobs, house, paid huge tax, insurance etc, we're just normal folks. we're not in the habit of hoodies and trackies!
    but from reading this i think we shud get rid of the family car(and the baby on board) sign and bring back the old car, maybe if other people on the road still thought we were holligans they'd stay away from us and our little bundle will be safe from all the crazies on the roads???!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

This thread haunts my soul :pac:

I've since got a brand new car and have no intention of defacing it with any signs or stickers..

Interesting to see peoples points of view on them though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

J2D2 wrote: »
    I'm a bit shocked that people could get so offended by a sign in the back of a car. Its not a personal attack on anyone's driving abilities, it's only asking people to be a bit more careful around them.
    I can't say I'm shocked myself. The negative attitudes here are just reflecting the new tetchiness that seems to be pervasive among younger Irish motorists.

As a father myself, I have a BOB sign in the back of my car. Why? It's a bit of fun, it makes me smile when I head back to the car after a hard days grind. I seriously don't expect it to act as a deterrent to others not to rear-end me.

Advertisement